• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Change in pick-up radius?

IHmechanic

Has the driver pick-up radius changed recently? While online this morning, and while viewing the rider app, I noticed that my vehicle disappears when the drop pin is moved more than 2-3 miles from my location. The same thing was happening for other drivers' vehicles. Normally, I could get riders from all over Cary. Locations of riders I used to get routinely are now out of range for me. Early this morning all of Cary, Apex, and Morrisville, NC just showed "NO uberX AVAILABLE" even though I was online. The one rider I did get said that he couldn't see any drivers for a long time until I went online.

Has the driver pick-up radius changed recently? While online this morning, and while viewing the rider app, I noticed that my vehicle disappears when the drop pin is moved more than 2-3 miles from my location. The same thing was happening for other drivers' vehicles. Normally, I could get riders from all over Cary. Locations of riders I used to get routinely are now out of range for me. Early this morning all of Cary, Apex, and Morrisville, NC just showed "NO uberX AVAILABLE" even though I was online. The one rider I did get said that he couldn't see any drivers for a long time until I went online.
Interesting. I have been having app issues for a couple of weeks now, with trips still not showing, and random notices of "the rider cancelled" when I never had a ping to begin with. Aside from that, I have had such a low amount of calls that I figured it was due to the app glitches. But if they have shrunk the ping zone for drivers, that may be why.

Mido toyota

i did a little test on the costumer app and here is what i found out if the costumer didn't put his destination or his destination is less than a mile he won't get a driver more than 9 minutes away unless he surges himself to the point he get the drivers driving to the 9 minute range so his request can get picked of course i didn't keep requesting until i surged the area i'm at but that's what happened i don't know if my conclusion is accurate because there is more variables that changes the simple equation

Disgusted Driver

I've noticed the same thing, it does appear that they've cut the radius down to 8 or 9 minutes away. This is both good and bad, less likely to get something 5 dead miles away but reduces your flexibility to take something if you are heading that way anyway. This is probably going to knock me out for the most part because I'm moving next month a little further out of town and I'll be just far enough away from the affluent areas I've been frequenting but not close enough to other ones. We shall see.

rocksteady

i did a little test on the costumer app and here is what i found out if the costumer didn't put his destination or his destination is less than a mile he won't get a driver more than 9 minutes away unless he surges himself to the point he get the drivers driving to the 9 minute range so his request can get picked of course i didn't keep requesting until i surged the area i'm at but that's what happened i don't know if my conclusion is accurate because there is more variables that changes the simple equation
Interesting. I hope you're right which means Uber is doing something about all the issues we've been beetching about i.e. long drive to pick-up for a short ride, etc. The problem is when I was on the rider app and noticed this weird phenomenon in there would only be cars a few minutes from where ever I dropped the pin or else it would say none available... there was no notice to the user as to why this was happening. No suggestion to punch in the destination and maybe you'll get a ride. It would be cool if part of the fare price, call it a personal surge, would be the ratio: how far away is the pickup/ how far the ride is. So higher fare rates for long pickups for shorter rides, lower fare rates for short pick-up drive and longer rides.

They should also add an incentive for short wait times after arrival. How often would we see riders waiting at the curb if they knew they were being charged more for making us wait.

Mutually beneficial incentives would be a huge step forward.

Laz Yoldlug

How many times a day are non working drivers and PAX activating the Uber app with no intention of actually going anywhere or really needing a ride?
Are we drivers to blame for messing up the system by merely seeing how many worjing drivers are stagnant & sitting as opposed to when things are busy and demand is real?

Respect The Beard

There have been some major app issues indeed to the point that I don't see any action at all on the map.I normally log on from home to check.

IHmechanic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a reply from CSR essentially saying it's my fault and to try rebooting the phone. What a waste! But ... I did log in this morning and things seem to be back to normal for me. I can now be seen all over Cary and Morrisville. In fact, I got a ping for a PAX 18 minutes away :-( I guess I should be careful what I ask for.

Disgusted Driver

I got a reply from CSR essentially saying it's my fault and to try rebooting the phone. What a waste! But ... I did log in this morning and things seem to be back to normal for me. I can now be seen all over Cary and Morrisville. In fact, I got a ping for a PAX 18 minutes away :-( I guess I should be careful what I ask for.
I haven't had any trouble with the app but the radius I see on the pax app has been varying, sometimes it's max 10 minutes away and sometimes it's up to 16 or 18. They appear to be having some consistency issues on that configuration for their algorithms.

Dahkei

CRAZY. I just logged in and immediately got an XL request that was 23 min away..... can't do that.
And what's up with the pings no longer showing what city/town the request is coming from????

Lag Monkey

Something weird happened today. My rider app said no uberX available, but when I moved my pin slightly closer to downtown cars poped up. It's like uber shorted the radius to 8-9mins.

Disgusted Driver

Something weird happened today. My rider app said no uberX available, but when I moved my pin slightly closer to downtown cars poped up. It's like uber shorted the radius to 8-9mins.
They have some kind of bug (or misguided new feature) in the pax app now, it is inconsistent, sometimes it's a radius of 8-9 minutes, other times it's more like 15. The interesting thing is that even if it shows No UberX available, when you go and order a ride, you still get one, they are just further away.

Hopefully this is helping more people go to lyft, at this point anything that hurts Uber is a good thing because they have conclusively shown that they are evil pricks. Notice when they cut rates, they didn't cut the SRF.

IHmechanic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how many users see "no uberx available" and don't even try to make a ride request. I plan to be a Lyft driver soon so I can pick up those pissed off Uber customers.

Disgusted Driver

They definitely have some kind of issue with the radius because it's inconsistent. What I've found is that if you go ahead and order an Uber X even when it says none available, it will still work but obviously the pax don't realize that. They must be losing rides because of that but the way I feel about Uber, I'm not inclined to send them an email to tell them there's a bug. Better they should think it's because the rates are low!