Uber Drivers Forum banner

CBC Maketplace: The Trouble with Uber

834 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RideshareDog 
#1 ·

Anyone seen this? It's air date was Oct

Haha not one word of lyft lol bad Uber bad

When it comes to safety legislation or by laws its not going to happen. Uber is too big and consumers are too cheap and the province doesn't want to piss off the cabs. Just look at the safety inspection that's done. Looking at beck cabs CLEARLY there is corruption happening. Like how the **** do these beck cars pass any safety inspections? Big Money exchanging hands I bet. And the fat man isn't going to change things for his cab buddies.

This is a very biased segment.
I'm going to call up the CBC and find the producers of that segment and ask are you willing to pay more for a trained and experienced driver? What's that no? Well then

#2 ·
Its definitely bias, as the CBC is quite liberal and anti uber. That's what I hate about the CBC, they can never be objective. Maybe they should have all their funding by tax payers removed and be forced to fundraise like PBS. That way, it ensures that they have to answer to the people that watch or listen to them. LOL. :coolio::coolio::coolio::coolio:

#4 ·
Can any news sources be trusted? Aren't they all basically controlled by like three or four companies globally?

Can anyone be trusted? Don't we all have our own biases as well? Who is truly neutral?

News get sold because of sensation, if an emotionless person was writing news as a statement describing what has happened then they may be boring but then they may be true.

#5 ·
So, CBC makes news reports for OLD people, talking really slowly and stating the obvious?
This report is so much playing on emotion and sensation and fear of technology.
Toronto roads are complex and dangerous. Training would be helpful, but accidents will continue to happen, it's just the nature of statistics.
Maybe self-driving tech will be the next thing to drastically reduce the accidents...maybe not.

I am sad that someone died unnecessarily on the QEW last year. Nonetheless, this happens all the time with people who do not know how to drive, Bad Uber drivers and PTC driver training will barely be a drop in the bucket. It's just that UBER remains sexy to the CBC as something the generate fear, and car accidents of the garden variety are ho-hum enough not to warrant 20 minutes of Michael Moore style (And I mean that respectfully, I more often than not, like Moore) confrontational, emotional, reporting.

Here is what is the real story: How many trips are taken with UBER (and LYFT and others) that are event free. How many incidents (not involving ridehail) in the city result in accidents, sexual assaults and just plain assaults (think the closing time at clubs, and all the angry dudes yelling and fighting with each other, no ride-hail involved.)

How much does UBER (and ride-hail in general) add to this?
Is that number statistically significant to warrant all the pearl clutching?

The story could just as easily been, "A friend of Nick's decided to drop him off at the airport." or "Nick hailed a cab..."
In either of these hypotheticals, the reason may not have been due to navigation, it might have been a pothole, or an animal running across the road.

I'm no fan of UBER, but when billions of rides are given a month, there are going to be accidents.
Look at the number of automobile deaths globally per year.

#7 · (Edited)
It is flaberghasting to me that this has to be said, every time:

"Police would like to remind the public that when ordering transportation via a rideshare app, make sure to verify the make, model, and licence plate of the vehicle, before you enter it,"
Isn't this, particularly if you are a young woman, BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS?
I point this out not to victim-blame, but rather in the spirit of COMMON SENSE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.