• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Has Uber always been honest in their driver recruitment advertising?

• Total voters

Modern-Day-Slavery

Uber love to give the public the impression that their drivers are small business owners or 'micro-entrepreneurs'. source

I received some abuse on this forum for complaining about the rates that Uber set. People would say "Nobody is forcing you to drive for Uber". - This I could not argue. Others would say "Be more strategic about which trips you accept....only accept when there is surge pricing".

Being the small business owner that I am, I decided that I wanted to start making a profit instead of losing money on each trip.

So this week decided to take on this advice and only accepted trips that were nearby OR surging more than 2x. As an independent business owner I assumed I could make a financial decision based on the pick up the location of each request. Basically, I would not drive out of my way for a fare that is normal rate - I know my long-term operating expenses and it simply isn't worth the depreciation to my vehicle.

You can imagine my surprise then, when Uber temporarily deactivated my account for not accepting enough trips. So they are forcing me to accept trips where I lose money?

I signed up under the impression I could work when I want and accept which jobs I want. So my question is this: Can I launch a class action against Uber for false advertising?

Coachman

I signed up under the impression I could work when I want and accept which jobs I want. So my question is this: Can I launch a class action against Uber for false advertising?
When or where did Uber ever advertise that you could turn down as many pings or cancel as many jobs you want?

joffie

Sucks sitting in the middle of a surge, then you get a job 10 minutes away (turns into 13 minutes) out of the surge zone.

I heard people have been putting their phone into air-plane mode, accepting the job then turning air-plane mode off. I tried that any my acceptance rate is 100%, however I am not taking all these silly jobs.

Sadly, it doesn't surge much in Melbourne as lemons drive all day here regardless!! (or, people wait for the surge to end then requests galore come in).

I have not been timed out.. yet..

forqalso

T
When or where did Uber ever advertise that you could turn down as many pings or cancel as many jobs you want?
This uber website stresses the benefits of working when you want. Does that mean uber has a say over when we can decide to accept or not? We are not paid waiting for a ping or even after we accept a ride, only between the start and end of the ride. Unless they are paying us, who are they to tell us what to do or where to drive. Uber want us to be IC's; but only when it's convenient to uber.
https://www.uber.com/driver-jobs

ATX 22

When or where did they advertise you must take all assignments at crap rates? All that's ever mentioned is "make great money using your own car". "Be your own boss". I've been my own boss, and when I was, I had a say in what I charged, and I decided whether or not to accept a job that the numbers told me was unprofitable.
Ultimately the only say Uber's drivers get is to refuse to accept the new terms and conditions when the rates are slashed without the independent contractor's input. This makes the relationship between uber and its drivers an employer - employee relationship, not a partnership between a lead generator and an independent contractor.

EX_

Oh Modern-Day-Slavery you're a glutton for punishment, but I like you so I'll try and help out.

You're generally doing the lucrative thing in preferring closer pickups and surge (2.0x>) trips, but need to work on execution.

For closer pickups did you wait in your "sweet spot" for pings? I've never been to Syndey but I bet there are plenty of popular areas always in demand where pickup distances are short and many pax should know the "toes at the curb" rule.

For accepting/declining trips, it's important to immediately log off right after ignoring an undesirable ping, whether the reason being farther pickup distance, or a potential bad vibe from a pax you think is poorly rated.
After logging off, wait about of 30-40 seconds before logging on the Partner app again. By then another driver will have most likely picked up that request (unless the number of drivers are low in said location).

As for surges, try to hold out and only log on when the multiplier algorithm hits 2.0x and above. Admittedly, this is more of a "waiting game" strategy that's more dependent on the time of day in busier areas (noon/lunch and Fri/Sat nights between 9pm-3am is almost a sure thing in most cities).

Remember, Uber can't dock you when not actively online in the app, rather than constantly ignoring pings and cancelling trips. Pax that cancel on you won't affect your acceptance %.

Know the 'basics' and get money. :biggrin:

Last edited:

5 Star Guy

I definitely like the airplane mode idea, genius. MA is one of the toughest to beat independent contractor law, if someone were to challenge it since most cases end up being an employee. It looks like their fine print is if you don't take a ping then how can you be an independent contractor or an employee? If I were to represent them I'd base it on the day not the hour or number of pings you accept or decline. Someone should test the theory out and file a claim. The good thing is everything they do is documented.