cash

Dammit Mazzacane

Concerns that regulatory governments may consider credit-only to be discriminatory against people who ha e trrroble credit scores or no bank account.

SF just threw Amazon food stores into the shredder for being credit-only.

UberAdrian

Concerns that regulatory governments may consider credit-only to be discriminatory against people who ha e trrroble credit scores or no bank account.
Those concerns are well founded since that is exactly the point - to discriminate against people with terrible credit scores and no bank account. Those people need to be getting their shit together not squandering money they don't have on private car service.

I say hellz no to cash. It will only bring in an influx of bums, an entire extra bottom tier of pax and paired with a new minimum fare to boot ($1)

Ssgcraig

SF just threw Amazon food stores into the shredder for being credit-only.
So you can't get a prepaid card with cash? Silly governments always putting their nose into places it doesn't need to be.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Well... yes and no,

There are other considerations behind the cash thing.

Some of them are arguments for forcing taxis to take credit others are uniquely BS issues caused by uber/lyft at this point.

Here's my list of reasons i came up with.

A. discrimination against cash-only customers.
(some people can't get debit cards, and some people don't trust banks, some might just not trust FOREIGN banks)
B. Some tourists just carry cash and travelers checks (due to international banking issues)
B1. Conversion of funds into US currency can be cheaper than taking a transaction fee on every single credit card charge.
(It can be over 3% on every transaction)
B2. They can convert funds to US when the conversion rate is favorable, then save it until they travel. *I used to do this with Euros back in the day, same principal*
C. You can't call an uber for someone else without paying for it yourself, even if the other riding has cash on hand, or their own credit card
(as a cab driver let me tell you how often I get cab fares solely because of this)
D. Sometimes you just don't want your wife to know you took an uber to the local gay bar or her sisters house (or her best friend house)
E. Requiring the use of the app for services is another form of discrimination.
F. zero chance of credit card fraud if you use cash
G. Sometimes foreign travelers won't get a telephone plan while traveling abroad, therefore they can't have someone (like the hotel desk) call an uber for them and they would then pay cash. If they are only in a country for two days it may not make sense.

Honestly "I'd take an uber if" is one of those phrases I hear all the time driving a taxi, and price isn't always the top concern. It's not always surge dodgers taking taxis because they are cheaper or flag downs, it's issues from their cell phone being dead, ect ect.

Last edited:

Ssgcraig

H. Riders know we do not accept cash, therefore we do not have wads of cash with us, no reason to rob us.

Another Uber Driver

Riders know we do not accept cash, therefore we do not have wads of cash with us, no reason to rob us.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cabs get robbed far less frequently than they used to because hardly anyone pays for a cab with cash these days, at least not in the Capital of Your Nation. The thugs that do rob the cabs these days get popped. This is because the driver does not have that much cash, so the thug has to rob another driver and another and another......................... The odds of getting popped increase geometrically with each crime that the thug commits.

The lower end users have migrated to Uber/Lyft. You do not want them to think that the driver has too much cash.

The thing does not tell you that it is a cash trip until you have started, or, maybe you do not know until it is the end. As you do not know the amount, you have to estimate to ask for front money. Knowing Uber and Lyft, they will implement a policy that specifically prohibits the driver from demanding front money. If the passenger shorts you or does not pay you, you may rest assured that you eat the shortage or the pork chop and Uber/Lyft still take their full fees out of your hide. Right; that is fair: I get no choice to accept or reject the cash trip, but I get held responsible if the customer does not pay. Rii-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ghhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttttt. Of course, who ever accused either Fubar or Gryft of being "fair"?

No cash, not on TNC. I put up with it in the cab, because for years, that was all that you got, so I am used to it. I do not want it if I am driving UberX/Lyft.

Wildgoose

No one can buy Online ticket with cash. Same thing to Uber/Lyft. Can't order online booking with cash. Simple.
But Uber and Lyft should introduce their own prepaid cash card selling on street for cash customers and foreigners to book a ride.

911 Guy

No one can buy Online ticket with cash. Same thing to Uber/Lyft. Can't order online booking with cash. Simple.
But Uber and Lyft should introduce their own prepaid cash card selling on street for cash customers and foreigners to book a ride.
This is all so wrong. You can buy a prepaid Uber card with cash and sign up with whatever info you want to. No vetting of customers is a major safety issue for drivers. You want to expand that?

UberAdrian

This is all so wrong. You can buy a prepaid Uber card with cash and sign up with whatever info you want to. No vetting of customers is a major safety issue for drivers. You want to expand that?
Exactly. Nobody knows who these cash pax are. They can make fake account and lie about everything. Which will make it hard to track them down after they rape, rob and kill you.

Wildgoose

Cash customers who use prepaid card need to sign up with I.D or Passport number. Like activating SIM cards in Singapore, it should be verified. The one who sell the cards is needing to input their Ref# after verification of ID or Passport. And these cards could be refilled (topped up - terms using in Singapore )

UberAdrian

Cash customers need to sign up with I.D or Passport number. Like activating SIM cards in Singapore, it should be verified. The one who sell the cards is needing to input their Ref# after verification of ID or Passport. And these cards could be refilled (topped up - terms using in Singapore )
That adds some protection but not enough to make me feel comfortable. Criminals generally don't have much trouble getting a fake ID and tricking Uber. Uber gets conned a million times a day.