• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Cars disappear on passenger app

eltakasaaiya

Why do the cars disappear on the passenger app. Are these phantom cars? Maybe there aren't as many drivers Uber claim there are.

elelegido

Yes, there are phantom cars in the Uber app. Along with the phantom earnings which are referenced in Uber's job advertisements. And phantom ethics. There are lots of phantom things associated with Uber. Makes me wonder if I'm here at all.

ReviTULize

Actually, they disappear from the map when someone is requesting. If they reject...they pop back onto the map 15 sec later.

Chicago-uber

Once I was looking at riders app. I see my car.. All of a sudden it disappears. I'm like wtf?? 2 seconds later I get a ping. :-)

Dillanwasx

Ahh that makes sense. Elel, could this have possibly been the case then? Or they could have simply signed out, no?

renbutler

Ahh that makes sense. Elel, could this have possibly been the case then? Or they could have simply signed out, no?
Those are the two cases that come to mind immediately.

It's also possible that their phone is intermittently connecting. I had that problem a couple times, but rebooting the phone has corrected it.

Dillanwasx

Those are the two cases that come to mind immediately.

It's also possible that their phone is intermittently connecting. I had that problem a couple times, but rebooting the phone has corrected it.
Poor service, if you have your phone WiFi turned on and auto connect turned on it may try and jump in and out of connections and just lag in and out.

elelegido

Yes, they could have gone offline or been requested. The study referenced above sheds some light on phantom cars.

Also, if you Google Nicholas Diakopoulos, he's done some interesting research on surge pricing and how it works.