• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Carjacked

Fargle

Carjacked... or at least it was a very accurate imitation of one.

I was stopped at a light when a drunk walked into traffic, opened the front passenger door before I could get to the lock button, and tried to get in. I told him repeatedly to get out, then pepper-sprayed him when he refused. He wasn't my rider. I wasn't looking for a rider at the time. As far as I could tell, I was being carjacked.

I drove off and looped around. By then police arrived. They're very proactive downtown near the nightclubs. I waved over a cop and said that I need to report a crime. I told my story and the cop told me the guy I sprayed insisted I was his driver and that I sprayed him for no good reason. I reiterated what I observed and the cop agreed the drunk idiot was at fault. Drunk idiot was screaming that he wanted to sue me. The report was sent to the DA's office, which agreed that the drunk caused his own misery.

Uber was of very little help, accusing me of inviting the attack, suspending me for four days. When I was reinstated, I told then I wanted the jerk banned from Uber, I was banned again. To their credit, the last person I talked to about this had no problem with my actions or my use of pepper spray and managed to clean up the incompetent mess that Uber support made of the case.

Tr4vis Ka1anick

I wonder what percentage the outcome of contacting Uber results in suspension / deactivation?

It would be valuable interesting data to review.

What type of customer support contact, results of contact, % of contacts with Uber where the contact results in deactivation.

My bets are that it is quite high.

Julescase

I wonder what percentage the outcome of contacting Uber results in suspension / deactivation?

It would be valuable interesting data to review.

What type of customer support contact, results of contact, % of contacts with Uber where the contact results in deactivation.

My bets are that it is quite high.

This is why when it comes to contacting Uber "support" (oxymoron if there ever was one! lol), less is more. Only contact them when it's absolutely necessary - and go into the exchange knowing there's a 50/50 chance that you - the driver - will end up being deactivated, regardless of the original issue.

Suism

First of all why would Uber even be aware of the situation if the guy wasn't your rider? There would be no need for them to even be informed nor be involved in any way unless he was your rider and you just didn't want to drive a drunk person for whatever reason.

Tr4vis Ka1anick

This is why when it comes to contacting Uber "support" (oxymoron if there ever was one! lol), less is more. Only contact them when it's absolutely necessary - and go into the exchange knowing there's a 50/50 chance that you - the driver - will end up being deactivated, regardless of the original issue.
Yup. Agreed. Uber should be contacted only when necessary and legally required to do so.

Seamus

Always always always always always (repeat 500 times) keep your door locked. You can avoid many problems by always keeping your door locked. Last Saturday night while parked at a curb waiting for a pick up an intoxicated fool tried to open my locked door. Especially in a crowded bar area or downtown area it is easy for a pax (especially a drunk one) to mistake you for their ride. Had you kept you're door locked you would have avoided all this.

JTTwentySeven

Agree with Jules on this. If the drunk pax tries to complain to Uber, they really can't tie it to you because you two were not matched up as driver/pax. You were just a random car he tried getting in to. Obviously, police report will show your name and his name, etc. but it'll show on Uber's side (if it gets that far) that you two were not connected.

MarcG

Carjacked... or at least it was a very accurate imitation of one.

I was stopped at a light when a drunk walked into traffic, opened the front passenger door before I could get to the lock button, and tried to get in. I told him repeatedly to get out, then pepper-sprayed him when he refused. He wasn't my rider. I wasn't looking for a rider at the time. As far as I could tell, I was being carjacked.

I drove off and looped around. By then police arrived. They're very proactive downtown near the nightclubs. I waved over a cop and said that I need to report a crime. I told my story and the cop told me the guy I sprayed insisted I was his driver and that I sprayed him for no good reason. I reiterated what I observed and the cop agreed the drunk idiot was at fault. Drunk idiot was screaming that he wanted to sue me. The report was sent to the DA's office, which agreed that the drunk caused his own misery.

Uber was of very little help, accusing me of inviting the attack, suspending me for four days. When I was reinstated, I told then I wanted the jerk banned from Uber, I was banned again. To their credit, the last person I talked to about this had no problem with my actions or my use of pepper spray and managed to clean up the incompetent mess that Uber support made of the case.
Did the guy announce that he was taking your car or in any way indicate that he was carjacking you? How did the police classify this “crime?”

Fargle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did the guy announce that he was taking your car or in any way indicate that he was carjacking you? How did the police classify this “crime?”
He said a name that wasn't mine and refused to get out. This was in a block that has frequent problems with assaults on drivers by drunks and bouncers. I don't have a copy of the report yet. I'll report back when I get it.

Always keep the flamethrower tank to at least half and a spare in the trunk.
Not sure if serious... At least in South Africa there is/was a car mounted flamethrower for carjack-defense available to civilians.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

the guy "insisted" you were his driver...

And he was going to sue...

Your half in the wrong, the guy went up to the wrong uber/lyft car and got sprayed for his trouble.

Keep your doors locked, i'm afraid to say that's all it takes.

Who HASN'T had a drunk guy pounding on the windows thinking your uber their driver?

Thankfully the cops did the right thing.

I did dang near have a problem like this one time when i was loading someone else and a drunk guy tried to get in thinking i was his uber, it's been 3 years ago now. I would have sprayed him if i had pepper.. but instead i just dragged his drunken behind out of the car.

LaughingMan

the guy "insisted" you were his driver...

And he was going to sue...

Your half in the wrong, the guy went up to the wrong uber/lyft car and got sprayed for his trouble.

Keep your doors locked, i'm afraid to say that's all it takes.

Who HASN'T had a drunk guy pounding on the windows thinking your uber their driver?

Thankfully the cops did the right thing.

I did dang near have a problem like this one time when i was loading someone else and a drunk guy tried to get in thinking i was his uber, it's been 3 years ago now. I would have sprayed him if i had pepper.. but instead i just dragged his drunken behind out of the car.
I haven't! Perks of not advertising for uber on your car. If you're my pax you know what my car looks like and license plate.