• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Car seats

Ginny4ever

I’ve noticed an increase of people requesting rides and not have car seats for their children. I don’t except these rides because I feel it’s a huge liability if something should go wrong. They just shrug and say that’s fine I’ll request another ride... or say they do it all the time. I know it’s a law that children must be in a car or booster seat until a certain weight and/or height. I think it’s 48 pounds and 4 feet... I’m not sure.
I have tried to get an actual answer from SAPD.... but the calls I have made today(Saturday) no one is available at the non emergency or substation near me.
So my questions to my fellow rideshare drivers is this....

Are that many of you actually driving children around without car seats?
Does the law change for rideshare?
If not, why would you take on that extra liability?

I’m just curious

BigRedDriver

I’ve noticed an increase of people requesting rides and not have car seats for their children. I don’t except these rides because I feel it’s a huge liability if something should go wrong. They just shrug and say that’s fine I’ll request another ride... or say they do it all the time. I know it’s a law that children must be in a car or booster seat until a certain weight and/or height. I think it’s 48 pounds and 4 feet... I’m not sure.
I have tried to get an actual answer from SAPD.... but the calls I have made today(Saturday) no one is available at the non emergency or substation near me.

I’m just curious
Never have, never will

I get those calls occasionally, and the answer is always the same. Nope, your child’s safety is far more important to me than a few lousy bucks. And off I go (with the cancellation fee of course)

Terri Lee

Just recently I was turning down a pax and she said, "Oh, I''ll go get the seat."
And she did.
I do refuse to take the obviously tiny ones; but when it's borderline I tend to take the parents word for the child no longer needing the seat.

Having never been a breeder I have little knowledge of the requirements.

Ginny4ever

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a quick reference from the DPS website. They say after 10 -12..... that’s basically a fifth grader.
2018 Child Passenger Safety National Best Practice Recommendations
Phase 1Rear-Facing SeatsRear-facing infant or rear-facing convertible safety seat as long as possible, up to the rear-facing height or weight limit of the seat. Properly install according to instructions in owner's manual, rear-facing in the back seat.
Phase 2Forward-facing SeatsWhen children outgrow the rear-facing safety seat (minimum 2+ years), they should ride in a forward-facing safety seat as long as possible, up to the upper height or weight limit of the harnesses. Usually 4+ years old. Properly installed forward-facing in the back seat. NEVERturn forward-facing before child meets all: AGE/HEIGHT/WEIGHT requirements set by safety seat manufacturer for forward-facing.
Phase 3Booster SeatsAfter age 4 and 40+ pounds and behavior maturity*, children can ride in a booster seat with the adult lap and shoulder belt until the adult safety belt will fit them properly (usually when the child is 10 – 12 years old).
MUST have a lap/shoulder belt to use a booster seat.

*Behavior maturity required according to booster seat owner's manual
Phase 4Adult Safety BeltOnce children outgrow their booster seat (usually at 10 – 12 years old) they can use the adult lap/shoulder safety belt if it fits them properly according to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions. Lap portion low over the hips/tops of thighs and shoulder belt crosses the center of the shoulder and center of the chest.
Children are better protected the longer they can stay in each phase. Keep children in each seat up to the maximumage/weight/height limits before moving to the next phase. ALLchildren younger than age 13 years should ride properly restrained in the back seat

Ubergaldrivet

I’m just curious
Never, refused two yesterday. They said the same thing. I Will never drive children without car seats.

Noble Ape

Never, refused two yesterday. They said the same thing. I Will never drive children without car seats.
Occasionally I have a car seat with me that I will offer if needed. It's only come up twice, once it was accepted with thanks and the other refused as unnecessary (which was obviously not the case). I'll let you guess which one didn't get a ride. I'm not sure what the ticket is for not having a car seat, but I'm sure it's more than the $3-$5 I'm making on the ride.