• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Car seats

MedicMan

How many of you give rides to children without car seats (an adult is with the child) that clearly need a car seat or booster seat?

Had a lady tonight with 3 kids and two of them clearly needed booster seats at the very least with the youngest one still needed a full child safety seat. I asked the mother if the kids usually ride in car seats and the said that they did. I asked her if she had car seats and when she said she was from out of town and didn't have any car seats I informed her that I couldn't take the kids because I would be liable for any injuries should something happen to them. She was nice about it but I don't think she was out of town because of things she told me later on in the conversation. She said that other Uber drivers had given her a ride earlier in the day which may be true but I was not about to put my ass on the line and let them ride in my car for the sake of a $3.75 ride.

I did get paid for showing up and when I cancelled the ride I selected no safety seat for the reason.

Mista T

Author
I only gave one ride to a little person without a seat, and that was not my fault. The mother hid her baby under her jacket.

Would never do it intentionally, too much risk. Money or no, the risk is insane.

MedicMan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only gave one ride to a little person without a seat, and that was not my fault. The mother hid her baby under her jacket.

Would never do it intentionally, too much risk. Money or no, the risk is insane.
Yea, risk vs income is significant.

Over/Uber

Yea, risk vs income is significant.
This can apply to anything and everything.

Even with U/L’s $1 mil liability, see how things stack up when a neurosurgeon is injured in your car, can’t practice anymore, and sues for more than the liability limits. What we all make in a year would be a drop in the bucket.

Even with my personal coverage limits, the U/L limits and my $1 mil personal umbrella, I’m still wiggly when I think about what could happen financially.

MedicMan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This can apply to anything and everything.

Even with U/L’s $1 mil liability, see how things stack up when a neurosurgeon is injured in your car, can’t practice anymore, and sues for more than the liability limits. What we all make in a year would be a drop in the bucket.

Even with my personal coverage limits, the U/L limits and my $1 mil personal umbrella, I’m still wiggly when I think about what could happen financially.
Not having properly restrained kids is very high risk compared to having adults with seatbelts. Study after study has shown that kids are not protected when using adult seat belts.

Over/Uber

Not having properly restrained kids is very high risk compared to having adults with seatbelts. Study after study has shown that kids are not protected when using adult seat belts.
That’s true and I’m not arguing that point. I would never take an unrestrained child nor say anyone should chance it.

My point is, a severe enough accident that results in a significant injury to any rider could pretty much destroy anyone of us financially.

As ride-for-hire drivers, we are always at a great risk.

Mista T

Author
a severe enough accident that results in a significant injury to any rider could pretty much destroy anyone of us financially
Financially

Psychologically

Emotionally

Knowing that you could have prevented the death or permanent injury of a baby or child will scar anyone, in many ways.

Ubergaldrivet

It is crazy, I had two I refused on Monday. Drove down the street and watched as a Lyft Driver showed up and transported the 18 month child with no car seat. Should I have taken a picture of the license plate and turned everyone in?

Nerka

I admit doing it once from the airport. But I have tightened up my procedures since then. Lyft and Uber should lease seats at the airport and charge $$$. That would be the right way there.