1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Car seat laws and rideshare services

Discussion in 'News' started by SLuz, Nov 8, 2018.

1. SLuz

SLuz

2. JimKE

JimKE

Shockingly, this breathtaking academic research is wrong...at least as far as Florida is concerned.

Florida law specifically exempts for-hire vehicles. The Florida State Statute is 316.613, and the last paragraph reads as follows:

"(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section."

That said, the REAL consideration here is the safety of the child.

Personally, I don't evaluate the child, but I do evaluate the parent. Any parent of a child younger than 6 (Florida's requirement) without a car seat is way too stupid to ride in my car.

Buckiemohawk, Rakos and tohunt4me like this.
  3. Why does Georgia have its own Color ?

Lynda Griego likes this.
  4. The law still is in affect and it still is enforced, it's the parents who get the ticket, not the driver.

I know a cabby who had an accident with children under 6 in the car, the parents got a ticket (and yep it's a POINT ticket to)

uberdriverfornow likes this.
  5. JimKE

JimKE

Right, car seats or boosters are still required for any child younger than 6 -- just not the for-hire driver's responsibility.

Again, the focus should be the safety of the child...who, unfortunately, must be protected from lazy parents sometimes.

That's especially true in places with high tourism like Orlando and South Florida. Child car seats are inconvenient to bring on vacation and many parents think the probability of the child being injured in a car trip is too low to make the effort. For a LOT of people, their personal comfort and convenience is more important than anything else.

6. Remember when the Government said
    " We must have seat belt Laws or we will be forced to put Expensive " "Passive Restraints " in cars ?

Then the Dirty Stinking Lying Govt. Put air bags in cars anyway !
    And Immediately infants were being decapitated in supermarket parking lots due to cars hitting buggies

Then all of the killer malfunctioning takata air bags got recalled !

Government KNOWS BEST !

Asbestos in schools .

Kill the NANNY STATE !

Rakos likes this.
  7. WhatIs42

WhatIs42

Read 40-8-76.1 of Georgia code. Driver will get the fine for not properly securing child.