1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Car repair as tax write-off?

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by M138, Oct 11, 2017.

1. M138

M138 New Member

Just had my car in for inspection. Looks like my shocks need to be replaced and it's not going to be cheap. Any chance that Uber drivers can write off hefty repairs come tax time?

2. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes or no, it depends.

You can either itemize all expenses OR take the mileage deduction for every mile driven working with or without a pax. You can not do both. For most it is easier and more lucrative to take the mileage deduction.

UberTaxPro and M138 like this.
  3. M138

M138 New Member

Great information. Thank you!

4. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that actual expenses are deductible up to the percentage of business use. For example, based on your mileage log, you can prove that your business use was 60% of the total miles on the car, and you had a $1000 repair- the deduction would be limited to $600. That method requires additional record keeping and receipts for what may prove to be less of a deduction than using the standard mileage rate.

UberTaxPro likes this.
  5. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I've never had actual end up on top using lower end vehicles.

(I.e. X or Xl)

Select, black, ect..

I could see it happen...

6. Older Chauffeur

Good point. But we've seen evidence on here of people driving older Beemers and Benzes on the cheaper platforms, so I suppose it's possible. Keeping all the receipts for gas, etc would be a nuisance.

7. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I'm not saying it's not possible for a higher end car to be covered by the standard mile rate, i honestly don't have enough experience or have run the numbers to know..

I'm saying it's possible on a high end car actual expenses could go over.

8. Older Chauffeur

Yes, and I was agreeing with you for older (out of warranty and expensive to maintain) cars used on the X platform. :D:D