Car recommendations

AlphaJ

Hi, I'm new to the city and have been job hunting for a while. I figured in the mean time I should start driving uber to keep things moving.

I've been advised to buy an used car 2009 and newer for as low as 5k to make this gig work. However, I don't know a lot about cars and their working which is why I would like to ask Y'all experienced folks as to how to go about the car purchase or should I just rent a car to begin ?
I realize lot of you here are not happy with the conditions around Uber but at this moment this is all I can do I think.. So please give your best suggestions

Thanks

Last edited:

Classified

Don’t rent, it will cost more,

And it doesn’t matter what you buy,
You won’t get rich doing Uber,

If you buy a car, the first thing you need to look at is, it needs to be cheap to drive, one of your biggest expense is petrol,

And a lot of cities have a 10years max age for car, so once it’s 10years old you cannot use it, so that 2009 car cannot be used, next year 2010 can’t be used and so on,

phreeradical

Hi, I'm new to the city and have been job hunting for a while. I figured in the mean time I should start driving uber to keep things moving.

I've been advised to buy an used car 2009 and newer for as low as 5k to make this gig work. However, I don't know a lot about cars and their working which is why I would like to ask Y'all experienced folks as to how to go about the car purchase or should I just rent a car to begin ?
I realize lot of you here are not happy with the conditions around Uber but at this moment this is all I can do I think.. So please give your best suggestions

Thanks
I recommend a bicycle

Underground

Well you got the active members attention. Now you need to do more research. Uber/Lyft website has enough information required to sign up.

As for your question, renting not a good idea. You could finance but then again this is not a good first job option. Too risky and unpredictable.

Cheers. Good luck with the job search.

Thanks
Ride share is just not sustainable or viable anymore
It’s basically shit now

Judgeetox

Thanks
Don’t be an idiot. Uber is an app for your phone, if you’re new to this city and going to buy a car just to do Uber full-time, you will end up making negative income.

In 3 months, the suspension in whatever vehicle you buy will be toast if you have no experience driving in Toronto.

Did a quick search on kijiji. Corolla 2014 average 13k$. So for 5k u should look for something really old and run ubereats. Which nobody here would recommend. But anyway just DON'T.

mikees3

Don’t do it no money to be made atm to many drivers not enough demand, luckily I bought my Camry 2012 for $6k but I’m out the game for now maybe I’ll be back next Christmas time.

Buy at bare minimum 2014 , 2009 not allowed in Toronto , you need to do better research
May be he will do uber eat.

Thanks
Find out the city first before you go out. It's look like you want to go to war with knowing your enemy.

Rockydrive

Thanks
Get a 2012-13 which is good till next year and with the money you save up buy a slightly better one. Work like a mad man. Accept all requests left right and centre. Make it work. I’ve seen 2012’s and 13’s going for 4K-5k

Gone_in_60_seconds

use the $5K to get a job. Apply for low jobs that pay min wage... whomever advised you to do uber gave very very very bad advice. If you have $5K to spend and no job, I would hold on to the $5K.
This is good advice. Uber is not a career or calling. Too many variables, that could render your gig to be ended prematurely. Take the 5K and get a taxi licence if you're going to drive full time for the forseeable future.

AlphaJ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you link me to the website/app to get these deals

And that's my plan to work like crazy and that's why I'm thinking of an used car with not much left in it.

How is Uber eats and other food delivery apps? Bike/scooter a better option ?