Car recalled - being issued a rental

SandyD

I just got a new recall notice on my car (Honda) - parts won't be available until "late summer/fall". The dealer is arranging for a rental for me for the duration without any argument whatsoever (which is even more evidence that I don't want to be driving this car until it's fixed).

I like the idea of putting miles on somebody else's car for a change ....:cool:

mandreyka

I just got a new recall notice on my car (Honda) - parts won't be available until "late summer/fall". The dealer is arranging for a rental for me for the duration without any argument whatsoever (which is even more evidence that I don't want to be driving this car until it's fixed).

Ya sounds too good right? You better let them know you will be using it for uber and also get it inspected and approved to use or you will be screwed if something happens.

This isn't a win for you, I doubt they will let you use it.

SandyD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know that is a possibility - but since I also have a 9-5 job, I'll be using it for that commute, and for running the spawn around to their various social activities, even if I can't use it for rideshare. And I still have my van which is signed up for both X/XL and XL only, I just preferred to drive the fume snifter. The rental is coming from Enterprise which has some kind of deal with Uber, so there is still some hope. Depends on what they give me too - since I'm not paying I probably won't have much say. Really, so long as it's not black (solar collector) I'll be ok with it.

RogerJS

Ya sounds too good right? You better let them know you will be using it for uber and also get it inspected and approved to use or you will be screwed if something happens.

This isn't a win for you, I doubt they will let you use it.
Yep.. I think this is going to be an issue for you .. You'll need to upload the car documents and insurance etc I think you may want to ask for income compensation from the Honda dealership .. Doubt you'll get it ..

Tedgey

That's not part of the airbag recall is it?

SandyD

That's not part of the airbag recall is it?
This is part of the Takata recall. Last Feb there was a recall notice, didn't seem urgent, parts would be available during summer.
This notice mentioned parts available "late summer/fall" and said "don't put anyone in the passenger seat" and I thought wtf. Hubby called Honda, who offered no resistance whatsoever to his request for a replacement vehicle until mine is fixed (this speaks volumes by itself). He suspects that my vehicle's repair priority may get bumped up since I will now be costing them $$.

Driving and Driven

If you use your personal vehicle for a business such as delivery or driving for Uber, and the car company is obligated to replace your vehicle with a rental while they repair your recalled vehicle, I don't see where they have the right to restrict you from using the provided rental to work and earn money as you typically did with your recalled vehicle.

Adieu

Takada?

Ignore it.

Everybody and their grandma is "recalled", it doesnt mean ANYTHING.

Its all lawsuit liability nonsense. Theres like 2 dozen cases of injury or fatality IN ACCIDENTS connected to em. And they make only like all the airbags around

Driving and Driven

Its all lawsuit liability nonsense. Theres like 2 dozen cases of injury or fatality IN ACCIDENTS connected to em. And they make only like all the airbags around
Only certain batches of their airbags are on recall, not every Takata ever made.

If for no other reason, what about the fact one would be driving pax around and one of them suffer an injury resulting from an accident in your Uber vehicle and the pax and their attorney found out you had been driving a vehicle on recall, ignoring the recall and risking their lives. Those attorneys love stuff like that.

SandyD

I got a 2nd recall notice telling me to AVOID PUTTING ANYONE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT. Hence why the vehicle is parked.

Tedgey

Takada?

Ignore it.

Everybody and their grandma is "recalled", it doesnt mean ANYTHING.

Good luck selling s car with a recall notice on it.

tohunt4me

I got a 2nd recall notice telling me to AVOID PUTTING ANYONE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT. Hence why the vehicle is parked.
Once she got this notice,if anything did happen,she is in the circle of liability now.

She made the right choice.

tohunt4me

This raises another issue.

The sheer volume of this recall.

Safety.

This must be affecting availability of vehicles eligable for Uber.

No one wants to get their head torn off in an Uber due to a bumper tap.

SandyD

I know I see a lot of Fits of the same vintage on the road and I wonder if the owners even know....

CaptainJackLA

i asked uber a year ago about using a rental. they said NO ! maybe they've changed. but you can also use Enterprise in Long Beach, it's approved