1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Car insurance letter

Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by thebandit, Sep 6, 2015.

1. I got a letter from my auto insurance canceling me cause I'm driving commercially. I have never made a clam or anything. I objected of course. So now the only way I can keep my policy is if I fill out a form saying I'm not driving for a tnc (Uber). What are the conciquenses if they find out?

2. elelegido

elelegido

At the lower end of the scale, cancellation of your insurance with no refund; at the higher end of the scale, prosecution for insurance fraud. The latter would be unlikely unless they suffered a financial loss I would think.

3. uberski

uberski

What company and how the **** did they find out???

4. GEICO .. And I have no ****ing clue. They said their online team ( what ever the hell that means) found out. But honestly I don't know.

5. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    Your not the first person with Geico to mention this.. If you allow them to cancel you your rates with the next company will be inline with a DWI winner... (IE high risk!) Geico does offer a TNC policy in some markets. Either switch to that, delete your uber app or switch to another company. What ever you do, DO NOT allow them to cancel you. You'll be paying a lot more.

bethsbees likes this.
  6. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I switched my car from Geico to another company because of this.... they asked me several times after my last fender bender if I drove for Uber.

I just quit using them instead of having to lie to them about it... new company never asked.

I drove a guy who works for Farmers in Sacramento, he said Farmers does offer coverage for Uber drivers .

chi1cabby and Sacto Burbs like this.
  7. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    It's fraud. It's a crime. Something Uber doesn't tell it's drivers when hiring. That's exactly why I quit. That and I depreciated my vehicle by -$15,000.

8. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    My uber car does not at 15,000 bucks to give up... 1000 maybe.. but anything that runs/drives is worth a grand in my book.

my insurance guy is a very close friend when I mentioned uber to him he said "shut up. I don't want to know"...

most insurance companies won't cover commercial operations with personal policies.

9. UBERZERKER

UBERZERKER

Driving:
    UberX
    Dude, I'm with infinity, and I got a questionnaire from them last month.. It's weird because I've been with them for more than 5 years, good coverage, (full) no incidents at all, no tickets, no claims, not even a parking violation..

Now they are asking questions about millage and if anything has changed that would make my car millage go up. It's almost like they WANT ME to declare it.

They are calling it a routine paperwork update bull****.. I know it ain't that, cause my policy renews every year, automatically, without a brokers fee.. I've got it set up simple.. basically ask I've gotta do is have money in the bank cause it's automatic.. as long as I have 83.00 bucks when they process the payment it's all good...

But now, I'm kinda ify about it, cause I don't want to call em up, but I don't want to have my ish cancelled either..

I KNOW Doober's got some to do with this, I've got a feeling they contacted then to verify the expiration date of the policy or something cause I just saw on my online dashboard that there are 2 red numbers under car documents that need update.. It's on a count down and that I'd bull..

I think these mfk's are trying to use any excuse to cut us og's loose n keep preventing us from making that real no money now that the market is flooded with inexperienced noober partners.

Fuhhhhhhhhhhkin ey!!!

10. UberComic

UberComic

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Uber covers you during period two (got a request and on the way to pick up) and period three (rider in car). You're not covered in period one, which is when you're online without a call. In period one you should have the Uber "U" out of your windshield and/or be parked. Anyone who gets in an accident in period one and admits the app was online is a moron.

You're really only covered by your own insurance when you're not driving for Uber.

CaptainJackLA, LAuberX and UBERZERKER like this.
  11. Yep, changing mine to Farmers Tuesday. If I bundle the house its the same rate as with 21 St Cent. Which i was told is now owed by Farmers.

LAuberX likes this.
  12. UBERZERKER

UBERZERKER

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanx, I hope that none of us EVER have to go through that horrible process about dealing with DOOBER's ins policy.. I'd hate for any of us to find out the hard way how it REALLY is..

But THIS is what I was referring to in my previous post..

My ins co never really reaches out to me like this, being particular about millage.

Attached Files:

13. Rockstar08

Rockstar08

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    Thebandit, quick question per chance do you use the Uber MasterCard for gas? I am betting you do and somehow geico is connecting into that company that issued it, that would be the only way.

14. Naw I don't use the boober gas card. So I don't know if I just fill out the form, pay for a month, then cancel for something else...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  15. The keyword is ASK. You don't have to provide anything. 21st Cent use to ask me once a year, I just ignored it.

And whats the diff ? If the ****ing us over insurance company will not get on board with ride sharing F them. We will find the competitor that will. :p

16. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    Call Metromile and sign up right there and then on the phone. coverage starts when you plug in the gadget which they mail pronto. You pay month to month not 6 months in advance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    frndthDuvel likes this.
  17. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    I made a huge mistake using my dad's car. Too nice for this job. Lesson Learned.

18. mystysue

mystysue

Driving:
    UberX
    I have metro mile.. The rates are pretty good and its a ride share policy

19. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    If you ever wana try it again. Buy cheap/disposable.
    2000 + Chevy Malibu with the 2.2 ecotech.. LKQ pick a part and U pull r Parts normally have at least a dozen to chose from if you need parts :)

uberski likes this.
  20. uberski

uberski

The Chevy Malibu is just a rebadge Toyota corolla. I forgot what model years line up put parts are swapped. Sold my corrolla to my cousin. A 96 just about to hit 200k miles still going strong.