Car inspection.. how perfect does the body have to be?

merkurfan

I see no reason to go deep in debt buying a car to uber. I have a perfectly good 2005 Ford Focus that I bought for next to nothing. It has some rock chips in the paint from age (its still under 100K) and a 4 inch scratch in the roof back by the rear window that was touched up.

Mechanically I know it'll pass with out issues, no leaks, no broken stuff, everything works. (rare on a ford I know)

Given the taxi cabs I have driven in the past, my car should fly through with a A+ inspection but I know some have said the inspections are really picky.

merkurfan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
perhaps.. I only roll if the money is good, I have other things to do. But I kind of expect replies like yours as you would not want more drivers in the pool.

SkipBarber

Yeah, tongue in cheek! Not sure how stringent they are about exterior imperfections. You will probably be fine. I had to put in a new water pump and tires to pads my test, but if I knew anything about cars (like you seemingly do), it wouldn't have been a surprise.
The one really annoying thing that i would like to share is that every night there are a bunch of cars around target center and bars in vicinity. They are very close together and it seems like some sort of group that is attempting to elbow out the rest of us from the best area.

merkurfan

Yup, 20+ years as an ASE master mechanic with a few years of Ford master tech thrown in for good measure. However my back just won't let me do a shop setting all day any more. I flip cars for money now. When things get slow I look for other things to do. Uber looks like it might work for me (I have done courier work and a short stint in a Red and White cab. that thing was such a POS I quit the first time it rained.. in the car.. and it slid around on its racing slicks) the Focus was basically given to me by someone who did not want to fix it. I replaced the transmission and put a set of tires on it. It's a base model but does have A/C, automatic and a remote trunk pop (has these little crank things that make the windows go up and down though, very odd) I figure if I take the car to a shop that has a tech I know.. I can get them to over look any condition thing that might be an issue. Any safety issues have already been addressed.

merkurfan

One thing I did figure out in that red and white.. NEVER collect with other cabs.. you wait your turn in line... Find your own hot spots.

poopyhead

Yeah, tongue in cheek! Not sure how stringent they are about exterior imperfections. You will probably be fine. I had to put in a new water pump and tires to pads my test, but if I knew anything about cars (like you seemingly do), it wouldn't have been a surprise.
The one really annoying thing that i would like to share is that every night there are a bunch of cars around target center and bars in vicinity. They are very close together and it seems like some sort of group that is attempting to elbow out the rest of us from the best area.
That sucks. I wonder who they are.

BurgerTiime

Fill your tank, do uber, fill your tank again, look at the miles you put on, add up the time to get there and time to get to busy area (after done with paseenger) realize what a stupid waste of time, money, wear and tear.
Wake up, find a real job that doesn't put all the burden of working on your wallet.

Hilljacker

Fill your tank, do uber, fill your tank again, look at the miles you put on, add up the time to get there and time to get to busy area (after done with paseenger) realize what a stupid waste of time, money, wear and tear.
Wake up, find a real job that doesn't put all the burden of working on your wallet.
Not too long ago you said you were signing up for Lyft. Do you really have a clue of what you are talking about?