• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Cant tell if I really suck at navigation or if this is just normal...

rubidoux

But... I feel like between the GPS just talking out of its @ss and the times I get a second pool pax to pick up but I cant tell who Im dropping first, I'm just blindly following. It usually works out in the end but there have been times when gps is literally saying "right" but pointing left or its two steps ahead of me somehow or it cant catch up to me. There have been countless times that pax have been looking at my phone and said its telling me to go in the opposite direction of their destination and theyre right.

Ive also had the app send me to pick up pax several blocks from where they were located.

Whenever these things happen I always wonder, is this happening to all of us or am i doing something to f this up?

Its not like I never have a ride with no glitches but the glitches really stand out.

Tankeryanker83

Hello there..Yes I get the same thing I call it lag it takes a few seconds to catch up sometime. So I just give it a few seconds ,also I've had it give me totally wrong adresses.ive mentioned it to the pax and usually they say it happens all the time...

SuzeCB

I'm a recent Waze convert. Google Maps has this habit of telling you what your next move is and then what the move after that will be. The problem is that sometimes when it tells you that other move you still haven't done the first one yet and it doesn't tell you the first one right away or at the same time. Yeah she screws you up. She's also kind of like a T-Rex. She can't see you if you're not moving so if you're starting a ride you actually have to move a hundred feet or so before she'll adjust and tell you what direction you really should be taking.

rubidoux

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I might try waze again. I tried that first bc i liked it just driving for myself, but it felt a little too chatty for ubering.

When I accepted my first ping tonight, I saw that pickup was on Convoy Street, hit navigation and started driving. It was taking me away from Convoy. So I checked the destination for the pickup and it was totally somewhere else, nowhere near Convoy. I think the app sometimes trades passengers w/o a cancellation and new ping. Thats the only explanation for it. I end up where I meed to be but its disorienting.

Oscar Levant

But... I feel like between the GPS just talking out of its @ss and the times I get a second pool pax to pick up but I cant tell who Im dropping first, I'm just blindly following. It usually works out in the end but there have been times when gps is literally saying "right" but pointing left or its two steps ahead of me somehow or it cant catch up to me. There have been countless times that pax have been looking at my phone and said its telling me to go in the opposite direction of their destination and theyre right.

Ive also had the app send me to pick up pax several blocks from where they were located.

Whenever these things happen I always wonder, is this happening to all of us or am i doing something to f this up?

Its not like I never have a ride with no glitches but the glitches really stand out.

That doesn't happen to me, that is all I can say. Sounds like something ain't right.

But, one thing I never do, is listen to the voice. I just follow the gps sans voice. But, 75% of the time, I know the destination, as I know the city quite well. The GPS helps, but there is no substitute for knowing your city. The GPS doesn't always get it right, or it does, but not the wisest route, it's just a dumb machine. For example, it will send you on a route with more turns on it, one that the average person would probably not do, just to save one minute, when the logical path is another route with fewer turns. If it saved 10 minutes, fine, but one minute over another with much fewer turns? See... "Artificial Intelligence", when you think about it, is an oxymoron.

AuxCordBoston

Of course some drivers would tell you that you should not accept pools in the first place, or accept the first pool and stop further requests. GPS has its limitations

Maven

rubidoux, I've experienced every one of the deficiencies that you describe. Sometimes being sent to the wrong destination is the PAX fault, or the rider-App fault, or the GPS-App fault. Whose at fault does not really matter to you. You may either cancel or contact the PAX to fix it.

Song Writer Dad

I feel your pain! I could have written your post. But you will probably get used to the pool and who is net to pick up versus whom to drop off.

Maven

NOBODY wants to be a taxi driver when they grow up. Nobody.
I originally heard this quote in the movie "Pretty Woman", but the title character replaced "taxi driver" with "prostitute" :biggrin:. Why did you feel it was necessary to make the change?

Tars Tarkas

Sometimes, the address that shows up on the pinging request is not the destination that appears after I tap to accept the request. It's like some old or previous address on the ping that is stuck in there from before since they always seem vaguely familiar.

Yes, my Google Girl hasn't a clue what to do first after I pick up the passenger. I always try to remember my last 2 or 3 turns so that I can at least retrace my steps until Google catches up--this would be for getting out of apartment complexes, gated communities, residential neighborhoods. If it's not really going the right way, it at least look decisions. Other times, I just ask the passenger, "which way you want to go?" or "How do I get out of this place?" or something. They don't seem to mind.

My biggest headache is probably accepting the request and not having a clue initially which way to start. I'm often in the wrong lane to go in the most immediate direction, or Google, instead of telling me to make a U-turn, tells me to make a series of 3 right turn and left to effectively do a U-turn but after 5 miles of making turns to be going in the opposite direction (really). I don't know if passengers understand that, if I'm in traffic when I accept t trip, it could be 5 minutes before I appear to be heading in their direction since I may be in a turn-only lane going the wrong way and need time to maneuver safely towards the right direction (our roads aren't grids here). If I know the are, and if the location shown before I accept the ride is the same as after I accept the ride, it's fine.

The GPS lag, which can be bad sometimes, I just learn to play it with judicious slowing-down to let it catch up which appears to be me just driving safely, and when I see it's working well for the moment, kind of memorizing what the next couple of turn will be ("short distance, right then left") so I'm not totally without ideas waiting for the GPS to update location.

Then the other night there was the strange case of the GPS giving wrong directions almost the entire way to the destination such that the passenger had to tell me every turn, and we both wondered what the hell was wrong with my GPS. Then I realized that when I picked her up, I had started the trip, but since the previous Google routing did not think I'd actually gotten to the pickup location, it was still running and I didn't re-start it for the new destination, and I just started following it as it tried very hard to take me back to the pickup location. I didn't tell the passenger that. I just agreed that GPS's can be very strange sometimes.

SuzeCB

I might try waze again. I tried that first bc i liked it just driving for myself, but it felt a little too chatty for ubering.

When I accepted my first ping tonight, I saw that pickup was on Convoy Street, hit navigation and started driving. It was taking me away from Convoy. So I checked the destination for the pickup and it was totally somewhere else, nowhere near Convoy. I think the app sometimes trades passengers w/o a cancellation and new ping. Thats the only explanation for it. I end up where I meed to be but its disorienting.
It does. Pisses me off

tradedate

rubidoux I'm curious to know what kind of phone do you have, and which cell provider?

I'm wondering if your phone maybe doesn't have fast/powerful enough internal specs.

UubSaibot

You'll adjust Uber knows that and will give you a learning curve. Just drive everywhere with the navigation even when not online. I can pretty much drive with my screen off now. Before you hit navigate, the destination will tell you where to go north, south, east, or west. I am from old school, so I would keep my compass app running just to know what general direction I am facing if I am lost in another city, because both Waze and Google Maps have issues sometimes with what direction you are facing. You can be following the line in the wrong direction and then it adjusts, you will feel stupid. Daytime is easy because he sun will let you know what direction you are facing. At night in very dark areas where Waze may be lagging because of weak signal, I would use my compass.

freddieman

That doesn't happen to me, that is all I can say. Sounds like something ain't right.

But, one thing I never do, is listen to the voice. I just follow the gps sans voice. But, 75% of the time, I know the destination, as I know the city quite well. The GPS helps, but there is no substitute for knowing your city. The GPS doesn't always get it right, or it does, but not the wisest route, it's just a dumb machine. For example, it will send you on a route with more turns on it, one that the average person would probably not do, just to save one minute, when the logical path is another route with fewer turns. If it saved 10 minutes, fine, but one minute over another with much fewer turns? See... "Artificial Intelligence", when you think about it, is an oxymoron.
i think the gps goes on calculation of shorter distance than time or comfort.

rubidoux

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sometimes, the address that shows up on the pinging request is not the destination that appears after I tap to accept the request. It's like some old or previous address on the ping that is stuck in there from before since they always seem vaguely familiar.

Yes, my Google Girl hasn't a clue what to do first after I pick up the passenger. I always try to remember my last 2 or 3 turns so that I can at least retrace my steps until Google catches up--this would be for getting out of apartment complexes, gated communities, residential neighborhoods. If it's not really going the right way, it at least look decisions. Other times, I just ask the passenger, "which way you want to go?" or "How do I get out of this place?" or something. They don't seem to mind.

My biggest headache is probably accepting the request and not having a clue initially which way to start. I'm often in the wrong lane to go in the most immediate direction, or Google, instead of telling me to make a U-turn, tells me to make a series of 3 right turn and left to effectively do a U-turn but after 5 miles of making turns to be going in the opposite direction (really). I don't know if passengers understand that, if I'm in traffic when I accept t trip, it could be 5 minutes before I appear to be heading in their direction since I may be in a turn-only lane going the wrong way and need time to maneuver safely towards the right direction (our roads aren't grids here). If I know the are, and if the location shown before I accept the ride is the same as after I accept the ride, it's fine.

The GPS lag, which can be bad sometimes, I just learn to play it with judicious slowing-down to let it catch up which appears to be me just driving safely, and when I see it's working well for the moment, kind of memorizing what the next couple of turn will be ("short distance, right then left") so I'm not totally without ideas waiting for the GPS to update location.

Then the other night there was the strange case of the GPS giving wrong directions almost the entire way to the destination such that the passenger had to tell me every turn, and we both wondered what the hell was wrong with my GPS. Then I realized that when I picked her up, I had started the trip, but since the previous Google routing did not think I'd actually gotten to the pickup location, it was still running and I didn't re-start it for the new destination, and I just started following it as it tried very hard to take me back to the pickup location. I didn't tell the passenger that. I just agreed that GPS's can be very strange sometimes.
Yup! This is my life!

rubidoux I'm curious to know what kind of phone do you have, and which cell provider?

I'm wondering if your phone maybe doesn't have fast/powerful enough internal specs.
I have an LG V20 and I habe the uber driver/sprint deal.