Can't get to my car? NOT MY PROBLEM.

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

So, just as a "here you go" informative bit, I have no problem loading luggage, wheelchairs, or even those smaller mobility scooters that fold up...

But, if you are so infirm that you can't get from your door to my car you are SOL.

And, here is why.

We, as Drivers, are not insured for any injury or liabilities that arise from attempting to render you assistance in moving into or out of our vehicles (neither Ubers nor your CAR insurance covers you for even a penny) or to or from your doors to our cars.

I will let a little old person pull themselves put of their chair and into my car using my door frame or my arm for balance.

But I Am Not Pulling On Your Body.

You can break their arms if they have an osteopathic issues.
Their skin can be like rice paper and you can tear them open without even trying.

So, no, I am not your licensed, trained and INSURED medical transport.

And if a 4 inch drop and your front door sill are too difficult to navigate You Need Full Time Home Health Aid level care.
Post automatically merged:

I also have no problem with canes, walkers, crutches or those funny little kneeling scoots...

IR12

So, just as a "here you go" informative bit, I have no problem loading luggage, wheelchairs, or even those smaller mobility scooters that fold up...

But, if you are so infirm that you can't get from your door to my car you are SOL.

And, here is why.

We, as Drivers, are not insured for any injury or liabilities that arise from attempting to render you assistance in moving into or out of our vehicles (neither Ubers nor your CAR insurance covers you for even a penny) or to or from your doors to our cars.

I will let a little old person pull themselves put of their chair and into my car using my door frame or my arm for balance.

Their skin can be like rice paper and you can tear them open without even trying.

And if a 4 inch drop and your front door sill are too difficult to navigate You Need Full Time Home Health Aid level care.

I also have no problem with canes, walkers, crutches or those funny little kneeling scoots...
?????????????!

BigRedDriver

And, here is why.

Had this happen ONE time. The reason it only happened once is I VOWED TO NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Good post, thank you.

These folks need specialized transportation

Jst1dreamr

And, here is why.

I couldn't agree more! I use a cane to walk myself and it would be pretty stupid of someone to think I was in any condition to be helping them walk to my car. That is why they have ambulatory transport companies.

Oscar Levant

And, here is why.

You know what I think? Years ago, in the taxi biz NO ONE ( I know personally and consider a friend ) would have given this a second thought, but to help the lady.

Today, everything is a big deal.

AnotherUberGuy

Remember, this infirm rider will be you someday.
Yes, I will be an infirm rider someday and I'll be shocked if anyone wants to come within 15 feet of me for fear of liability.

This is a legitimate concern. Let's say you have an elderly person who needs help getting into the car. You are helping them and they slip and they sprain an ankle or break an arm or some similar minor injury. Whose fault? Is it the old person for being old? Is it the driver for not having proper training in how to support the limbs of old people?

Many years ago it was, well, stuff happens, sorry about that. Today it's a million dollar lawsuit.

DOCUSN_USMC

This is a different world. Today, we are liable to be sued by anyone for anything. I agree totally. I'm 72 and get around quite well, as well as a Nashville Uber VIP and MVP driver. We should NOT have to subject ourselves to the distinct possibility of a lawsuit if something happens. Cities have companies that are expressly equipped and trained to transport the elderly. These folks should use those who are trained to provide such service.

Crosbyandstarsky

And, here is why.

Good information, thanks

Come to research this and not even metro mobility can do these things. You’re so right here

Crosbyandstarsky

And, here is why.

I just read you ate not allowed to touch your passengers by law. They must call uber assist and those people are specially trained and liscenced to help people in and out of vehicles. Read under accessibility under rules uber

Attachments

• 42FD3EA1-0E9C-4845-AD2B-4D9340AC9E62.jpeg
    42FD3EA1-0E9C-4845-AD2B-4D9340AC9E62.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 82

Codyboy1

You know what I think? Years ago, in the taxi biz NO ONE ( I know personally and consider a friend ) would have given this a second thought, but to help the lady.

Today, everything is a big deal.
No sir, former taxi driver in atl. We were not to touch the customer. They had to get in on their own. Period.

Ozanjavci

Medical transportation with lyft and uber MUST be illegal and reporting those kind of rides must be rewarded by the health department!!!

touberornottouber

This is a different world. Today, we are liable to be sued by anyone for anything. I agree totally. I'm 72 and get around quite well, as well as a Nashville Uber VIP and MVP driver. We should NOT have to subject ourselves to the distinct possibility of a lawsuit if something happens. Cities have companies that are expressly equipped and trained to transport the elderly. These folks should use those who are trained to provide such service.
...and certainly not for a $3 ride payment.

FormerTaxiDriver♧

I once had a disability scammer with an electric scooter that was still in his bar hopping days. He expected me to drop the seats in the cab down and pick the damned thing up and load it with the nightclub bouncer! It could of weighed 200lbs, I don't know; but the seat came off when we were picking it up. Yep, THE FREAKING SEAT CAME OFF! Now, I'm about to shit in my pants about damaging somebody's scooter.

Right after we put the seat back on, I said NO, I'm not able to deal with this shit, then the so-called bearded epic disabled man, got well all the sudden and swung his fist at me.

Last edited:

SoFlaDriver

I've learned my lesson on this, after receiving numerous ride orders, almost always from third parties (who are almost always family members who think calling me to tend to their infirm 'loved' one's needs discharges their family responsibility) that are invariably followed by a flurry of texts advising me that the pax will need assistance, or has a walker or wheelchair that will need to folded and stored and reassembled at drop off. There's usually always a promise of an extra tip too for doing for them what they really should be doing themselves, or have arranged the proper medical transport commensurate with the patient's needs. In one case when I was a noob I was sent to a dialysis clinic and the flurry of texts after I accepted the ping were all about how I'd have to walk this guy to my car and then to his door when I got him home. But when I got to the clinic I found a guy who was essentially unconscious and a crew of nurses who looked at me like I was nuts, rolled their eyes that this is what the family member thought was a suitable arrangement for this nearly comatose man, and told me they would not release him to me (and thank God they did). I cancelled but had forgotten the 5-minute rule and got nothing for all that effort (driving there, walking in, inquiring, and getting that response). Another time the texts indicated the patient had a walker which she simply rudely pushed in my direction, leaving me to figure out how to collapse it and get it in the trunk, while all her various attached bags and personal items dangled from it, threatening to fall off or discharge their contents onto my trunk floor. It took me five minutes to find the correct sequence of steps to fold it and the correct angle of entry into my trunk that would allow me to close it. Another 5 minutes at the other end to put it back together and help the lady out of my car, her all the time @@@@@ing about what poor service I was giving her. I got $2.80 from that near half hour of hell. And in that case, the ordering entity was the dialysis clinic itself, who, like the earlier lady, had simply discovered that Uber or Lyft could take care of what they would normally have probably been paying hundreds for with an actual, trained, properly equipped medical transportation service.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded message, point is this: I get those post-ping-acceptance texts now, I just cancel and look for a normal job. Sorry, it ain't about not wanting to help the elderly or handicapped, it's about not wanting to be legally responsible for people who should be getting a medically rated level of transportation and basically, running my business in a way that's most likely to be profitable to me.