• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can't beat this...

Mpls55345

I have to use 90, but still it is at $2.55 at Holiday. I typically use 93 BP even it was only $2.65.

dctcmn

So if you get 30 mpg-- $3/gallon costs you 10 cents per mile and $2/gallon costs you 6.67 cents per mile. If you average 30 mph (you'd have to be extremely busy to average 30 mph--- I average around 25 mph most weeks) the price drop nets you $1/hr.

I think Slyster you average around 41 mpg so the fuel savings are about 75 cents per hour if you average 30 mpg or 62.5 cents per hour if you average 25 mpg.

The overall point is that fuel savings are great, but we shouldn't overestimate how much they're saving us.

Slyster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh? Anyways my last tank of Ubering costed me 4.5 cents per mile. Good enough for me.

dctcmn

Huh? Anyways my last tank of Ubering costed me 4.5 cents per mile. Good enough for me.
It may be good enough for you, but your fuel savings is not really netting you much more money per hour. How much did your highest priced tank of fuel cost you per mile since you started driving? Maybe 6.5 to 7 cents per mile? That really doesn't amount to much (60-75 cents per hour) and it really isn't something worth noting or celebrating.

Drivers tend to overestimate how much low and high fuel prices mean to their overall bottom line. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be tracked and a 30 or 40 mpg vehicle is much better than a 15-20 mpg vehicle, but the actual fluctuation of fuel prices aren't as significant as some of us like to think they are.

Slyster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn so my new $13000 car that gets 42 mpg and lifetime warranty won't help me out? Geeze and dammit... I guess should have bought the $55,000 Mercedes SUV that gets 15 mpg afterall.. ugg... my bad :frown: and feeling sad.

Last edited:

dctcmn

Damn so my new $13000 car that gets 42 mpg and lifetime warranty won't help me out? Geeze and dammit... I guess should have bought the $55,000 Mercedes SUV that gets 15 mpg afterall.. ugg... my bad :frown: and feeling sad.
That is, quite literally, the exact opposite of what I said.