Candy experiment... strange result

Mista T

Author
2 weeks ago I was at a friend's house and he gave me some mini candy bars. I ate a bunch and grabbed a few extra. I put them in my car in an open cup holder spot in the very center of the car, with the intention of taking them into my house later.

The cup holder is slightly back from the front row of seats. Easy for back seat pax to see (and reach) but out of sight for front seat people. As a result, I spaced out on them and they stayed in my car.

A week later I noticed them there when I was vacuuming the car. Not one piece of candy was taken! I had given 50+ rides that weekend, and no one said anything or took anything. My tips were average to below normal, if anything. Very strange!

So last week I decided to carry it further, as an experiment. I replaced the candy bars with a different kind of candy (that has been sitting in my cupboard for over a year now, lol).

After this past week, guess what? No one has said anything, and not one piece of candy has been taken!

I have removed the candy completely now, and things are "back to normal" in my car. I am very surprised that not one single person took any candy, or even asked, in two weeks time. Really eye opening.

AnointedOne

2 weeks ago I was at a friend's house and he gave me some mini candy bars. I ate a bunch and grabbed a few extra. I put them in my car in an open cup holder spot in the very center of the car, with the intention of taking them into my house later.

The cup holder is slightly back from the front row of seats. Easy for back seat pax to see (and reach) but out of sight for front seat people. As a result, I spaced out on them and they stayed in my car.

A week later I noticed them there when I was vacuuming the car. Not one piece of candy was taken! I had given 50+ rides that weekend, and no one said anything or took anything. My tips were average to below normal, if anything. Very strange!

So last week I decided to carry it further, as an experiment. I replaced the candy bars with a different kind of candy (that has been sitting in my cupboard for over a year now, lol).

After this past week, guess what? No one has said anything, and not one piece of candy has been taken!

I have removed the candy completely now, and things are "back to normal" in my car. I am very surprised that not one single person took any candy, or even asked, in two weeks time. Really eye opening.
They knew those candies were expired. ::laugh:

sellkatsell44

I actually had a really sweet lady drive me to the airport and she had filled the inside of the door handle with candy... was kind of annoyed by that even though she meant well. Still tipped her, forget whether it was a ten or twenty and I meant to tell her but eh, she has the personality where a grump like me would overlook that because she was sweet.

sheonlydrivesdays

Here's what it is. I've done the no candy thing and I currently do have some peppermint and butterscotch in the back. In my experience, you have to offer them the candy. I always say something brief like, "Help yourself to a candy..." A lot of times people take one.

Then I did a little experiment where I didn't offer it and left it up to them to take one or not - mostly bc I got tired of saying it every ride.

Suddenly, no one was taking any candy. So, for as much as I get frustrated by pax at times and it's a daily crapshoot. Most people are too polite to just take it without asking. :wink:

Offering it doesn't necessarily mean more tips but it makes the ride more pleasant and you will likely get a higher rating.

raisedoncereal

Higher rating than 5*?

All I got in return for jolly ranchers were wrappers on the floor, seat cracks, and such.

I don't even offer bottled water anymore. I once had a bottled water in the center cup holder near the center console (for me), and one asshat just grabbed it and started drinking it as soon as he got seated.

welikecamping

I have candies out, and the starburst have been in there for over a year now - rock hard. I hardly ever get any comments on it, although I do on occasion get compliments. Nobody has ever said "Oh, you have candy. Why?"

UbaBrah

I once had some Native American chick be like "can I take these?" and she just emptied out my mint container. I was thinking like, okay, that's not how we do things in society, but alright. But then it would have been weird to be like "no, only one rock hard candy for you, lady!" I hope she had good dental.

Mash Ghasem

You hit a unicorn streak... they were all diabetics! :biggrin:

OldBay

I used to buy peppermints from Sam's Club. Lots of people took them, some said thanks, some just started eating. The reason I stopped is because I would reach over the seat and start eating them myself when I got stressed.

I liked the eating sound. Most people are crunchers.

If they are not touching the candies, my guess is that its not a "clean" or "trustworthy" ride.
Post automatically merged:

I once had some Native American chick be like "can I take these?" and she just emptied out my mint container. I was thinking like, okay, that's not how we do things in society, but alright. But then it would have been weird to be like "no, only one rock hard candy for you, lady!" I hope she had good dental.
You wouldn't want to be perceived as an Indian giver.. :wink:

kingcorey321

Try having cough drops in that jar .Watch them vanish !
I eat them like candy i have always even when i was a kid no sugar not bad for your teeth menthol opens you up perfect candy lol .
People always asked me form some and no it did NOT make any difference with tipping .

Juggalo9er

I've done similar experiments
Buy cheap bottled water, it never gets touched
Buy expensive, it never gets touched

I just left it in the middle cup holder second and third row seats....

GoldenGoji

I'm also surprised nobody took your candy without consent. People are still polite and respectful in a way.

OldUncleDave

I have bottles of water, mostly for me but PAX also. I keep the back seat cup holders (2) filled.

Several PAX have left half empty bottles in the car! WTF! What's wrong with you! Take the bottle with you! No one wants your backwash!