Cancelled on a drunk, irate pax when he got out to pee...

Phasmatrope

OK, so I had incident tonight I am not particularly proud of. I Canceled on a drunken, irate pax as he got out of my vehicle to take a piss.

To summarize for the rest of you/my takeaway from this is, when you pick up a drunk passenger, CONFIRM THE STREET ADDRESS AND CITY of their destination!! Because yes, this guy had drunkenly selected a nearly identical street in a different city from where he was headed...

The ride started out pleasantly enough; I picked him up from outside of a sports bar, we made small talk about the pals he'd met there, and we were on our way. I made a suggestion on how to get to his destination (again, I unknowingly had the wrong address), and he didn't protest, seemed easy-going.

Several mins. in though, he starts asking why we didn't take a different freeway (for the Angelenos here, the address he'd entered was in East Burbank when we actually wanted to go to the same address in Glendale; for the non-Angelenos here, that's about 15 minutes in the opposite direction). I mentioned that there was bad holiday traffic earlier on the route he wanted. He seemed to accept that.

But as we're going, he starts impatiently asking about how long it's going to take-- clearly a sign that he's in a hurry-- and though I offer to pull over (in case he needs to puke), he declines and I keep going, trying to speed up.

Eventually he starts micro-manging my directions, telling me to take streets going in the opposite direction of the address he entered (although it's really the RIGHT direction, but I didn't know that). He's studying the Lyft map, and somehow has the icons for my car and the Pink destination mixed up. He starts getting irritable, questioning the sound of my brakes, sarcastically thanking me for getting him home safely, blurting out questions, and giving me a "huh?" when he thinks I'm not answering him loudly enough.

I'm getting irritable too, to the point where I kinda WANT to Cancel (and even if I don't, at this point I'm pretty certain I'm not going to get a good rating from this guy...). He's complaining that he doesn't recognize the neighborhood, but at that point we're just 2 mins. away, so I tell him to bear with me and check to see if he recognizes the house. We Arrive, and of course he doesn't.

At this point, we both realize that he's entered the right street in the wrong city into the app. I correct it, note that it's 15 min. away, he sighs to PLEASE get him home, but that he needs to piss, and gets out to do so (on someone's lawn, I suppose...). This guy is already so irritable that I don't know if I want to deal with driving him any further (and especially if he's going to get back in and get urine on my upholstery). I take a deep breath, lock the door, Cancel the ride, and drive away.

Now, what would you have done??

Basically right now, I'm dealing with the fact that I'm probably gonna have to write Lyft and explain things to them, in case it somehow gets back to them. As far as their criteria for Canceling, he didn't necessarily threaten or curse at me, but he was very belligerent, and making me increasingly uncomfortable.

Frankly, I suppose I was technically within my rights to Close the ride and charge him for it (since it was his mistake), but again, that way he could've 1-starred me, gotten the money back, etc.

I don't feel particularly good leaving a drunken pax in a strange neighborhood in the cold with their pants literally down, but then, he's not without fault here...

Last edited:

Adieu

If he got aggressive, good call

Just remember to comment ride that he started shouting WRONG CITY AFTER LEAVING VEHICLE AND DROPOFF PRESSED--- and seemed so irritated you got scared and left

Phasmatrope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I mainly just don't know how I'm going to explain it to Lyft.

The only time I've had to Cancel on someone before was on a hostile, possibly meth or paranoid-schitzophrenic-affected passenger who threatened to smash my face when the destination they arrived at was closed... hate to have done so again, and somewhat wonder/worry about how they're gonna react-- I've generally been pretty lucky with all of my passengers, but also generally have fairly thick skin-- but this ride wasn't getting any better, and this dude was seriously making me uncomfortable.

Bart McCoy

I take a deep breath, lock the door, Cancel the ride, and drive away.

Um, exactly HOW did you cancel the ride .....after you already gave him a ride to at least that address?

You said that you were worried about the 1 star but im positive he gave you 1 if you left him peeing in the yard

Phasmatrope

Um, exactly HOW did you cancel the ride .....after you already gave him a ride to at least that address?

You said that you were worried about the 1 star but im positive he gave you 1 if you left him peeing in the yard

What are you talking about?? Again, he'd drunkenly managed to select his address, but chose the wrong town (since cities often share common street names, i.e., Broadway, Main Street, etc). So I didn't hit Arrive.

However, when he got out of the car to piss, I decided that I'd seen enough and hit Cancel. When you Cancel a ride, you aren't given the option to rate one another.

Stan07

You did the wrong thing..

1-) Same street in a different city is very common rider mistake when they enter their final destination. You knew your rider was drunk, you should have confirmed the street and city as soon as he got in to your car.

2-) When your drunk rider realized your wrong direction, you pulled up classic "traffic heavy, that's why i go this way" method, instead confirming the address.

3-) People need to pee after drinking, that guy was holding all the time you drove to the wrong address. You were in an emergency situation and you could not deal with it.

Technology is not always perfect, the human factor controls the possible app failures. That's exactly what happened in this ride. You followed the GPS instead confirming and editing the address. This job requires a bit flexibility and sympathy in order to deal with such things and drunk people.

Last edited:

Bart McCoy

What are you talking about?? Again, he'd drunkenly managed to select his address, but chose the wrong town (since cities often share common street names, i.e., Broadway, Main Street, etc). So I didn't hit Arrive.

However, when he got out of the car to piss, I decided that I'd seen enough and hit Cancel. When you Cancel a ride, you aren't given the option to rate one another.
Man im a veteran , stop it. I know how cancel works.
I guess im slow but you said:

"Several mins. in though, he starts asking why we didn't take a different freeway (for the Angelenos here, the address he'd entered was in East Burbank when we actually wanted to go to the same address in Glendale; for the non-Angelenos here, that's about 15 minutes in the opposite direction). I mentioned that there was bad holiday traffic earlier on the route he wanted. He seemed to accept that.
But as we're going, he starts impatiently asking about how long it's going to take-- clearly a sign that he's in a hurry-- and though I offer to pull over (in case he needs to puke), he declines and I keep going, trying to speed up.
Eventually he starts micro-manging my directions, telling me to take streets going in the opposite direction of the address he entered (although it's really the RIGHT direction, but I didn't know that)."

Now that sounds like you were driving on the trip. Now you say you hit cancel, which one is it?

Phasmatrope

Man im a veteran , stop it. I know how cancel works.
I guess im slow but you said:

Now that sounds like you were driving on the trip. Now you say you hit cancel, which one is it?

Yes, I did embark on the trip. Answering for the both of you, as I'm sure you're all aware, the app doesn't list the city of the destination, just the street (which is really probably something they should fix in future updates, although I'm sure that's partially designed to prevent drivers from knowing if they're driving into a sketchy neighborhood, so they don't Cancel the ride). Hence, I was only looking at a map, and had no idea exactly what part of town I was driving to, and both streets in the wrong and right part of town were about an equal drive from the pickup, so my telling the pax the time to get there wouldn't have alerted him something was wrong either.

And again for the "veterans" here:
1) yes, I Accepted the ping, I picked up the passenger and drove them to the address they had listed.
2) I selected to Cancel the ride MID-RIDE when he got out of my car to pee, because I hadn't hit Drop off since he wasn't at the address he wanted, but I didn't want to continue driving around with him (and in doing so, I got the warnings "your acceptance rate will go down," etc etc, and I didn't get paid a dime for my trouble).

You can do both. You're right, it seems you are slow. And it's "I'm," by the way.

Stan07

1) yes, you accepted the ping, you picked up the passenger, you did not confirm the address, you started driving to the wrong address.
2) you cancelled the ride, because you didn't want to take low rating. instead of risking your beautiful rating you decided to leave drunk guy in the middle of nowhere.

You did an amazing job. What if his phone battery died right after you took off?

Phasmatrope

1) yes, you accepted the ping, you picked up the passenger, you did not confirm the address, you started driving to the wrong address.
2) you cancelled the ride, because you didn't want to take low rating. instead of risking your beautiful rating you decided to leave drunk guy in the middle of nowhere.

You did an amazing job. What if his phone battery died right after you took off?

Funny thing, I was thinking that'd be pretty amazing!! Or even more amazing: what if one of the neighbors came out, caught him peeing on their lawn, and he got arrested for public urination AND drunkenness?

Hell, I even thought briefly about calling the police as I drove away, to say that there's a drunk guy peeing on my yard (and since the police in East Burbank generally don't have much to do, it's possible they could've been dispatched, and the guy would spend the night in the drunk tank).

Bart McCoy

And again for the "veterans" here:
1) yes, I Accepted the ping, I picked up the passenger and drove them to the address they had listed.
2) I selected to Cancel the ride MID-RIDE when he got out of my car to pee, because I hadn't hit Drop off since he wasn't at the address he wanted, but I didn't want to continue driving around with him (and in doing so, I got the warnings "your acceptance rate will go down," etc etc, and I didn't get paid a dime for my trouble).

You can do both. You're right, it seems you are slow. And it's "I'm," by the way.
So how long has Lyft let one be able to cancel a ride? and how does that work that you can do BOTH? So you can drive 10 miles, and then CANCEL? techincally its impossible to 'cancel' because you've actually driven 10 miles, you cant just get that 10 miles back. So you get paid for the 10 miles? if so, then its not a cancel. I always thought once you start a trip you can only END it. So explain to me what happens when you 'cancel' a trip you already went 10miles on.(get paid for the 10 or not. but if you drive a pax anywhere they are able to rate you,but you telling me Lyft doesn't operate like that)

Stan07

Funny thing, I was thinking that'd be pretty amazing!! Or even more amazing: what if one of the neighbors came out, caught him peeing on their lawn, and he got arrested for public urination AND drunkenness?

Hell, I even thought briefly about calling the police as I drove away, to say that there's a drunk guy peeing on my yard (and since the police in East Burbank generally don't have much to do, it's possible they could've been dispatched, and the guy would spend the night in the drunk tank).
I don't think you are a good fit with this type of job.

VegasR

It seems like the displayed address and the desired address were hard or impossible to distinguish in the app. I think it's pretty reasonable to not ask every pax if they know which city they are going to.

I wouldn't have dropped the guy. I sure as shit wouldn't have called the police. That would be messed up. But all he said was, he thought about it. Some guy acted like an ahole, so it crossed his mind that he could really screw him over. Normal enough.

But, if canceling saves you a 1 star, I can see why you'd consider it. Lyft creates a situation where one person can really screw you over, regardless of if you've done anything wrong. I'd take the guy home, especially for the longer fare. It sounds like he knew it was his fault.

But, if you're 4.7 and this guy one stars you, now you're on pins and needles for the next month. That's the situation Lyft created.

It's also wise to occasionally drive up to pax, and then cancel if they look uptight.

Phasmatrope

So how long has Lyft let one be able to cancel a ride? and how does that work that you can do BOTH? So you can drive 10 miles, and then CANCEL? techincally its impossible to 'cancel' because you've actually driven 10 miles, you cant just get that 10 miles back. So you get paid for the 10 miles? if so, then its not a cancel. I always thought once you start a trip you can only END it. So explain to me what happens when you 'cancel' a trip you already went 10miles on.(get paid for the 10 or not. but if you drive a pax anywhere they are able to rate you,but you telling me Lyft doesn't operate like that)
No, if you Cancel, you unfortunately don't get paid anything. I'm sure you could try to argue with Lyft to get paid SOMETHING for my time, but I think it'd be a lost cause (hell, I've met more experienced, jaded drivers who NEVER Cancel hostile drivers and would've tried to collect money anyway even Concluding the ride at the wrong address, even if it meant a poor rating).

As VegasR said, at that point, you're mainly just Canceling to:

1) protect yourself from a bad rating (and hell, you can be perfectly nice to people & complete the ride for them only to still have them rate you negatively; case in point, I've received undue negative comments for A) another person in the Lyft Line they didn't like, B) they didn't like that I had an older car, C) they didn't like the quality of my speakers when I offered them to play their music through the aux cable, D) they didn't let me illegally fit 5 people into a 4-seat car, E) they didn't like that I stopped them from bringing an open container into the vehicle... if you are too nice to passengers, they will walk all over you).

2) protect yourself physically, if the person is threatening you or making you uncomfortable: again, I've had a pax who physically threatened me, I Canceled on them and reported them to Lyft because I didn't feel safe. I've had passengers sexually harass me, grab my thigh, offer to S my D, etc. Surprisingly in those cases, I didn't Cancel-- just rated them poorly-- although I would've been within my rights to (and again, if your girlfriend or sister was driving for Lyft/Uber and some drunken/entitled passenger started demanding that they kiss them before leaving the vehicle-- which happens to female drivers-- I don't think you could blame them either for wanting to Cancel).

Anyway McCoy, my apologies if I was rude to you there... and to VegasR, no, I was not going to call the police on the guy-- that would have been really petty and vindictive-- and I already felt bad leaving him like that (even though he'd turned into a colossal prick beforehand).

At the end of the day, regardless of the accusations that "I'm not a fit for this," I've been doing it since March, I have over 2000 rides, and generally average at least a 4.9 (so if I haven't been a fit the whole time, I guess it's taken some time to figure that out). But yes, every ride is different and every person is different (and never know how compromised their accuracy/bladders will be when alcohol is involved...).

PeterNorth

From what I read, I would've done the same thing. Even if you did list off the address he entered from the get-go he would've just drunkenly agreed and off you went. I can't tell you how many times I've said "hi, are you____?" followed by "Just to confirm, we are going to XXX Street?" and I hear "yep" followed by a hiccup from the alcohol abuse.

It's not your job or any other rideshare contractor to babysit these people. Being nice, courteous and taking them to where they ENTERED is what we are required to do. This story is one of the reasons I am considering on getting a dash cam!

Anyway, Happy Holidays!

-Peter

AuxCordBoston

OK, so I had incident tonight I am not particularly proud of. I Canceled on a drunken, irate pax as he got out of my vehicle to take a piss.

To summarize for the rest of you/my takeaway from this is, when you pick up a drunk passenger, CONFIRM THE STREET ADDRESS AND CITY of their destination!! Because yes, this guy had drunkenly selected a nearly identical street in a different city from where he was headed...

The ride started out pleasantly enough; I picked him up from outside of a sports bar, we made small talk about the pals he'd met there, and we were on our way. I made a suggestion on how to get to his destination (again, I unknowingly had the wrong address), and he didn't protest, seemed easy-going.

Several mins. in though, he starts asking why we didn't take a different freeway (for the Angelenos here, the address he'd entered was in East Burbank when we actually wanted to go to the same address in Glendale; for the non-Angelenos here, that's about 15 minutes in the opposite direction). I mentioned that there was bad holiday traffic earlier on the route he wanted. He seemed to accept that.

Eventually he starts micro-manging my directions, telling me to take streets going in the opposite direction of the address he entered (although it's really the RIGHT direction, but I didn't know that). He's studying the Lyft map, and somehow has the icons for my car and the Pink destination mixed up. He starts getting irritable, questioning the sound of my brakes, sarcastically thanking me for getting him home safely, blurting out questions, and giving me a "huh?" when he thinks I'm not answering him loudly enough.

I'm getting irritable too, to the point where I kinda WANT to Cancel (and even if I don't, at this point I'm pretty certain I'm not going to get a good rating from this guy...). He's complaining that he doesn't recognize the neighborhood, but at that point we're just 2 mins. away, so I tell him to bear with me and check to see if he recognizes the house. We Arrive, and of course he doesn't.

At this point, we both realize that he's entered the right street in the wrong city into the app. I correct it, note that it's 15 min. away, he sighs to PLEASE get him home, but that he needs to piss, and gets out to do so (on someone's lawn, I suppose...). This guy is already so irritable that I don't know if I want to deal with driving him any further (and especially if he's going to get back in and get urine on my upholstery). I take a deep breath, lock the door, Cancel the ride, and drive away.

Basically right now, I'm dealing with the fact that I'm probably gonna have to write Lyft and explain things to them, in case it somehow gets back to them. As far as their criteria for Canceling, he didn't necessarily threaten or curse at me, but he was very belligerent, and making me increasingly uncomfortable.

Frankly, I suppose I was technically within my rights to Close the ride and charge him for it (since it was his mistake), but again, that way he could've 1-starred me, gotten the money back, etc.

I don't feel particularly good leaving a drunken pax in a strange neighborhood in the cold with their pants literally down, but then, he's not without fault here...
How were you able to cancel. If you already accepted the ride it means you could not have canceled. You "ended" the ride.

AuxCordBoston

I had a similar experience:

I picked up two drunk guys. I ask them to confirm the address they want to go to. They glaze at me. I ask again, they glaze at me. I ask again, they glaze at me. I point to the destination on the app and pronounce the address for them and ask: "Is that correct?" They glaze at me again. I tell them they have to leave my car since they can't confirm where they want to go. I try to cancel. But can't. The ride already started. I end the ride. They rate me 1 star. My rating drops. I drive home!