1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Cancelled/Fake Request at SAN airport

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by The_Just, Sep 11, 2015.

1. The_Just

The_Just New Member

Hey guys,

I thought I would share with you an unfortunate situation that occurred at the airport tonight. After the last late airplane came in, there were still some drivers left in the area to get rides. As the requests started coming in and cars started driving to the terminals, I got a request from a location about 1.5 miles away. It was in a strange location. A location where I usually see other drivers waiting for airport requests.

The request came from a "passenger" name DARIO, fyi.

As I approached the location of where the passenger was supposed to be, the ride was immediately cancelled and a car drove away from the location where there was supposed to be a passenger. Because it was at night I could see the person had an Uber driver application on. Thats when I realized what was going on…This other driver was having me get in my car and drive to him so that during this 5 minutes or so I was being pulled out of the airport queue so that he could get a real request. This was the last plane of the night.

I'm really upset that a driver would lower himself to this tactic to get a fare. My advice to your guys would be to not accept any rides late at night from the airport unless they are actually from one of the terminals.

The_Just

2. Alexanditor

Alexanditor Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Sorry that happened to you! Live & learn. Karma will come back to this greedy driver.

3. UberReallySucks

UberReallySucks Well-Known Member

There's no shortage of idiots in San Diego and that includes some Uber Drivers. Why don't you report this joker to support? If anything is worthy of deactivation threats by Uber, this would be it.

RockinEZ likes this.
  4. RockinEZ

RockinEZ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have seen a lot of competitive behavior in the airport area, usually in the airport short term parking lot.

Speeding drivers, drivers cutting you off at the entry gate when there are open gates. These drivers are fools. How much time can you make up in a parking lot? 20 seconds?

They already have the ride. Speed freaks, or just too much coffee?
    I think they are just nasty people you would not really like to meet.
    I would like to see Uber do drug tests.

The story you posted needs to be given to Uber San Diego. They know exactly who, where and when... They are pretty lame, but may actually act on this one.

Huberis likes this.
  5. Bill Feit

Bill Feit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    While we are on the subject of US at the Airport...will everyone start pulling all the way forward in the wait area to make room for those coming in behind you to pull up the curb? Everyday I am stuck out in the driving lane with my PAX wanting me to let them in....pull forward and make your pax walk a little but help out your other drivers...thanks!

RockinEZ likes this.
  6. Bill Feit

Driving:
    UberXL
    FYI, yesterday my lone airport pickup moved the pin off airport to an address in Liberty Station (I accepted anyway after waiting almost 25 min in FIFO with no call ..when not at pickup he replied to my text he was actually at Terminal 2...Fantastic for me as I took him all the way to Carlsbad...I was wondering about the fee and wanted everyone to know He still ended up paying the aiport pick up fees!!!

7. RockinEZ

RockinEZ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes please. I often ask drivers to pull forward, few actually do. They already have the ride, what is their problem?

8. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey Bill, have you noticed that airport FIFO seems different, not working. I think it is whoever closer now. Lots of drivers in Spanish landing and in short term lot and rental car area. I got shut out yesterday, a first. Got a lot of request from shelter and harbor island pickups. But no airport pickups? Are non airport pickups in the FIFO zone the same FIFO system or whoever closer? Will have to take those instead of skipping until I figure out what is going on.
    Thanks, Steve

9. San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey EZ, is airport FIFO zone not working, got shut out yesterday, a first. Looks like whoever is closest now. Not one request but lots of shelter and harbor island pickups. Are those closet to pin or in the same FIFO zone system as airport. Cost me a lot of money, complete washout on first day back after moving to Carlsbad. Noticed a lot of drivers in Spanish landing and short term lots. Wondering if they are getting the pick ups.
    Thanks, Steve

10. Bill Feit

Driving:
    UberXL
    I think it is working, had 3 on Friday and 1 today...today wait was about 15 min. I also get far too many non airport pings and have been ignoring if I am looking for my last trip of day. Non airport still uses closest vehicle. If you wait at Landing/Harbor drive commercial (Starbucks) lot you are directly directly across from Harbor Island and closest to Shelter also because it is as crow flies. When you say you had none..how long? Also, use san.org and check incoming flights...if none or very few odds are bad getting ride unless there are no other cars showing on the rider app.. I do think we have many more drivers using airport despite a lot of complaints. I drove home empty again today...

11. volksie

volksie Well-Known Member

I've had a couple fake request in the FIFO and I'm here to thank the Dumbass who's wasting his own time. One of those fakes put me in position for a ride from Pt. Loma to Morgan's Run in Rancho Santa Fe, a $20 tip & a box of new golf balls.

I'll be there on Monday Dumbass so keep up the good work, Dumbass!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    San Diego Steve likes this.
  12. REagCB

REagCB Active Member

Have any of you noticed that you can tell if the person requesting the uber is a driver based on their rating? I've noticed when I've taken ubers (my score) and when I have picked up fellow drivers that their ratings go to the hundredth. For example a passengers rating would be 4.9 but a drivers rating will show at 4.89. If that makes sense? Basically your driver rating becomes your passenger rating when you're a driver.

volksie likes this.
  13. Bill Feit

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yes, and it has been mentioned a few times on this board. BTW, had a pax this morning FREAK when I told him his rating was 4.5...waited until we were at Airport and the whole way he told me what a fantastic Uber supporter he is and how much he loves the service. When he asked how he could even be rated (didn't know he gets one) and why it would be a 4.5 I had to tell him some drivers give a 4 if he does not tip...he freaked again.."I though we did not have to tip with Uber..." I said why wouldn't you if you have been so happy with the service? we are in the service business just like the waitress you tip 20%...no reply...drop off and NO TIP!!! Fare was $54. Wow! PAX are something!!

RockinEZ likes this.
  14. frndthDuvel

frndthDuvel Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Doing a pick up today and I was thinking of this post. As I was blocked by a driver in the first space of an empty lane. I had already told my PAX he had to walk down the way through the window. As I have been threatened with a fine for picking up outside the zone. From now on it is bottom of stairs turn right and walk to middle of TNC pickup area. The UBER driver oblivious. Probably a bit trouble some to ask a driver to pull to the end. Because then the PAX could complain and rate. But pulling ahead 1 space from then end in an empty line would certainly be doable imho.

15. frndthDuvel

Driving:
    UberX
    I have no problem with no tips on rides above 25 bucks. YMMV Are they appreciated? Of course. but so is the 25 dollar plus ride.

16. San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    Hope he didnt jack your rating, pretty gutsy to call him out, good for you to support us.

17. frndthDuvel

Driving:
    UberX
    So you think a 54 dollar ride is a ****ty ride? The fact that so many are down rating PAX for not tipping,even on rides like this does nothing to help Drivers in deciding who is a ****ty rider or not.

18. volksie

Sometimes a car is loading in the nearest spot because the cars in front of him just pulled away before you arrived. How about giving Drivers the benefit of the doubt sometimes. I think most of us try to be courteous.

Back to the original subject: I possibly had another fake request Monday.
    I texted to ask which terminal, the pin was on the tarmac. They canceled at 4 minutes. About ten or more minutes later I texted to see what would happen and they replied, "I canceled that Uber". My text wouldn't have gone through if they re-requested.
    Oh well, nothing we can do about it.

19. San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    Me too, twice yesterday, told me figuring out how to use app. But, if they cancel, we still keep our place in FIFO line. So what is the benefit of them doing that?

20. volksie

The Airport brings all of us together to the same place for better or for worse. I accept all requests & I seem to get killer rides after cancelations in the FIFO! Yes, even requests that are 26 mins away. I move slowly on those and contact them after 5 minutes. Works well.