Cancellation fee for no car seat?

Fuges

I had to decline a rider today because she had her six month old in her arms and no carseat. I told her I couldn't take her and she was cool, so I canceled with the reason and didn't get a cancelation fee. She was not kate.

Should I have received a cancellation fee?

Benjamin M

Thank you for doing the right thing. I'd reach out to Uber to tell them what happened, who knows - maybe they'll give you the cancelation fee

Fuges

Cool thx guys. I thought if the rider met certain considerations then it was okay to cancel and get a fee. So then, isn't Uber implicitly encouraging drivers to take babies without car seats? Is it the same if they're all underage? Shouldn't the riders be penalized?

Benjamin M

Cool thx guys. I thought if the rider met certain considerations then it was okay to cancel and get a fee. So then, isn't Uber implicitly encouraging drivers to take babies without car seats? Is it the same if they're all underage? Shouldn't the riders be penalized?
So, basically, you getting paid depends on how long you are sitting after arriving at the pick up location. You did the right thing and hopefully there's a system in place to flag these people.

I suggest calling to see if you can get paid for the cancelation. As you probably know already, Uber Support can be totally worthless but it's worth a try.

mmn

No, they're trying to prevent drivers gaming the system which, unfortunately, some will do when given the opportunity.

And, yes, the riders should be deactivated.

BigRedDriver

If you take one of these rides and express any concern to the rider about the danger......

You will be 1*. Bank on that.

Wait the dang 5 minutes, cancel, get paid.

Illini

There's a high probability that if YOU cancel before starting the ride, Uber won't pay you. Ask the passenger to cancel, or wait the 5 minutes to guarantee you'll get your fee.

BigRedDriver

There's a high probability that if YOU cancel before starting the ride, Uber won't pay you. Ask the passenger to cancel, or wait the 5 minutes to guarantee you'll get your fee.

Never ever not gotten the fee. 1500 total trips. And least 20 cancelled for no car seat. Banked every one.

Seamus

Regardless of the reason you must wait 5 minutes to cancel. It is much easier to spend 5 minutes to get the cancellation fee than to waste 25 minutes with Uber support trying to collect.

SuzeCB

Your cancellation rate CAN be used against you by Uber, but here's how it works...

Everything is calculated by the algorithim. Yes, your "immediate supervisor" is a computer program.

When your cancellation rate is too high (an undisclosed rate supposedly determined by norms in your market) for too long (an undisclosed amount of time), the algorithim bumps the info up to human eyes. This person is supposed to look things over, eliminate all of the cancellations for "valid" cause (no shows, no car seat, unaccompanied minor, too many people, too much luggage, etc.) And remove it from the calculation for the purpose of evaluation and audit. The. It is determined if it's worthy of deactivation or not.