Cancel or Shuffle

sd1303

I accept a pick up 7 mins away.

Immediately I get a text that says “I need 20 minutes.”

Would you cancel right then and there... or drive, wait, then no show?

I did the latter. Pax was taking out the garbage, taking their time, etc. At the 5 minute mark, I drove off.

Waiting 20+ minutes wasn’t going to happen, but I was worried that the pax was going to park their stuff in my car and then take their time getting ready.

SoFlaDriver

It's a good question. The pax definitely deserves a shuffle for that, but on the other hand, you'll spend almost 15 minutes getting there and waiting out the timer in which you could've made more than that $4.10 cancel fee.

I'd go for punishing the guy. Anyone who orders an Uber and then asks for 20 more minutes needs a hard lesson in how the service actually works.

FLKeys

I would text back asking where they are going to determine if worth the wait or not. Also leave the other app on and if a ping comes in do it. Heck way be able to do a trip and still head back to pick up guy waiting.

So many variables to go over never just a simple answer.

New2This

7 minutes isn't too bad.

If it's Lyft you can get there, hit Arrive then see where they're going. If it's a good trip, take it. If not you can hide for 5 minutes and Shuffle

Seamus

I had that happen on a busy Saturday night. Got pinged at 9:35 and was only 5 minutes away. Immediately got a text that said "please come at 10". I immediately canceled as it was busy and not worth my time to drive there and shuffle.

TheDevilisaParttimer

I accept a pick up 7 mins away.

Immediately I get a text that says “I need 20 minutes.”

I did the latter. Pax was taking out the garbage, taking their time, etc. At the 5 minute mark, I drove off.

Waiting 20+ minutes wasn’t going to happen, but I was worried that the pax was going to park their stuff in my car and then take their time getting ready.
20 mins not moving will tank your hourly rate. $4.50 for 13 minutes of wait keeps your ROI +$20/hour.

SuzeCB

Are they still charging twice the minute rate AFTER the first 2 minutes of waiting? Was it busy? Did you expect it to get busy? $0.30/min for 20 minutes is $6.00... $18/hour with no wear and tear (at least for the 20 minutes).

Lots of things go into making this decision. Sometimes it just boils down to your mood, yanno?

CJfrom619

You can’t make any money in this game by collecting cancel fees. You want the ride not the $4. I would have immediately moved on after he sent that text unless i was already at the location.

sd1303

This was in the morning. Not super-busy, but still got the next ping within a few minutes of cancelling. The shuffle didn’t take me too far out of the way.

If you shuffle, does the pax get charged? Who pays the fee?

Yes, pax gets charged $5, driver gets $3.75.

jiglum

I agree with making a passenger pay for my time, but sometimes its just not worth the headache.

Another Uber Driver

I was worried that the pax was going to park their stuff in my car and then take their time,

Several factors must be considered before answering your question. Of course, you do have the other application working. If a ping comes from the other application, you examine it. If it is close enough, you accept. If not, decline and continue toward it or with your shuffling.

Do you go to shuffle or cancel? Is it slow or busy? If the former, go to cover and shuffle. If busy, cancel and get another ping. Are you headed that way anyhow? If so, cover and shuffle. If it is behind you, cancel it.

As for the "anchor", do not allow it. You already know that the customer is not ready. You approach the address with doors locked. If the customer approaches you with articles, you leave the doors locked. You inform the customer in a courteous, professional and businesslike manner that you will load the articles when he is ready to go. Under no circumstances do you pay heed to any of his entreaties. If he wants to press it with a question such as "How do I know that you will wait?"; you reply "Sir, if you are not out here in five minutes I can guarantee that I will NOT be here."

I never allow anchors, be they articles, animals or human beings. I always ask if everyone and everything is ready to go before I unlock the doors. If I get anything but a firm "yes", the doors remain locked and I inform the customer(s) is a courteous, professional and businesslike manner, that we will admit kits, cats, sacks, wives when everyone is ready to go to St. Ives'.

BlkMagik

I had a similar deal. Slow time of day when I got pinged from home to a location nearby but when I arrived the pax texted they would be a few minutes so I waited long enough for the timer to almost end. They texted again stating they were going to be a few minutes longer. I hung out a awhile longer since my Hybrid wasn't burning fuel sitting still and the destination was far. Although after the third communication saying the same thing I suggested they request a ride when they are really ready and I hit the cancel/no show. I stayed longer hoping to get that long fare but didn't work out that time.

Taksomotor

7 minutes isn't too bad.

If it's Lyft you can get there, hit Arrive then see where they're going. If it's a good trip, take it. If not you can hide for 5 minutes and Shuffle
Oh, I like that!
Post automatically merged:

I actually did hit start the ride while waiting for the Pax, to see of it was worth waiting for. So far it was worth waiting for each time, so I haven't shuffled that badly :smiles:

sd1303

7 minutes isn't too bad.

Good call. This one was UberX, but I’d have done exactly that if it were Lyft.

SoFlaDriver

Most irritating gripe I ever got from a guy was when I got a ping while driving by an apartment complex and was able to immediately pull in and up to the door. Confused because there were two towers with two separate entries, and worried because it was a small driveway and my car was blocking it, I called the guy to make sure I was waiting at the right door and that he wouldn't be too long, otherwise, I could've moved off a bit and parked somewhere. But before I got to asking or explaining any of that he started berating me for being "already here" saying, "My God, I just called you guys!"

Sensing the nasty tone and feeling like his demeanor was unlikely to get any better I decided I simply didn't want the guy in my car and told him to order another when he was ready to go. I didn't even bother to try to wait out the clock for fear he'd come down before the 5 minutes were up. Just cancelled and drove off.

Dealing with nasty people ain't worth the $4-5 fee.

dryverjohn

You did the right thing based on the circumstances. If it had been a surge or busy time, cancel immediately. During slow times, shuffle around then cancel. Good call on the bags in the car, I don't know if you place bags back on curb and leave or not. That might get you in a little trouble with Fuber.

xgamrgeekx

One rainy morning I picked up a request and began heading that way. I got a text "Hurry, I need to be there at 7:55." When I accepted the ping, Uber's eta was 10 minutes, which is pushing it. I looked at the clock that read 7:44 and Waze telling me 12 minute arrival. Nope, not dealing with your attitude because you couldn't get up in time. Cancelled and moved on.