Cancel fee scam

fairsailing

I guess it stands to reason that with rates so low, desperation and just outright sleezyness are starting to grow in the driver ranks.

Rush hour this morning, driver pulls up 50 yards away from A Loft front door, selects arrive, sees a short one, waits five minutes, selects no show for cancel fee. Rider trying to get to a client, immediately writes Lyft to report the driver. Wow, what a scam, how to get deactivated in 10 days or less. Three other drivers had cancelled before arrival. I was the 5th driver. 150% PT and a $5 tip, so $14 for 20 minutes of work.

I realize that Lyft has brought this behavior on themselves, but riders are suffering and it just creates a crappy atmosphere for all. End of rant.

Last edited:

Wh4tev3r!!!!

Waited 5 minutes - how long should he have waited? Obviously the guy was not ready to go if he made the drive currently there wait 5 minutes and waited 'x' minutes for the others too.

Fuzzyelvis

I guess it stands to reason that with rates so low, desperation and just outright sleezyness are starting to grow in the driver ranks.

Rush hour this morning, driver pulls up 50 yards away from A Loft front door, selects arrive, sees a short one, waits five minutes, selects no show for cancel fee. Rider trying to get to a client, immediately writes Lyft to report the driver. Wow, what a scam, how to get deactivated in 10 days or less. Three other drivers had cancelled before arrival. I was the 5th driver. 150% PT and a $5 tip, so $14 for 20 minutes of work.

I realize that Lyft has brought this behavior on themselves, but riders are suffering and it just creates a crappy atmosphere for all. End of rant.
The other driver got $5 for 5 minutes and no miles on his car. I'm assuming you're not including the drive to the location time, since that would vary.

bernynhel

How about the other way around when the Pax is going to scam the driver...

The other day I pull up to the front door of an apt building in the burbs. I didn't even look at where they going until after 2 min when the Pax wasn't there. I look at the destination and it was 3 stops. 1st to SA 10 blocks away - Stop 2 was the Liquor store a couple blocks from the SA - and stop 3 is back to his building. I see through the main entrance windows the pax coming down the stairs at 4:20 sec. This entitled POS was going to scam me with two stops for a min run $3.37. So I retaliated and at 4:30 sec I was out of there and at 5 min when I was down the road I cxl and got the $5.

Mikejay

The other day I pull up to the front door of an apt building in the burbs. I didn't even look at where they going until after 2 min when the Pax wasn't there. I look at the destination and it was 3 stops. 1st to SA 10 blocks away - Stop 2 was the Liquor store a couple blocks from the SA - and stop 3 is back to his building. I see through the main entrance windows the pax coming down the stairs at 4:20 sec. This entitled POS was going to scam me with two stops for a min run $3.37. So I retaliated and at 4:30 sec I was out of there and at 5 min when I was down the road I cxl and got the $5.
How do you know where they are going when waiting? Do you start the trip? I am very confused by this.

Mikejay

how does it do that? The only time it switches over is when you actually press pick up said person. Is that what you are talking about or is there a different way?

PTUber

Tap the arrive button and then tap the passenger info square in the bottom left, it will tell you the destination before you start the ride.

I know rides like this totally suck but it's not really the PAX fault it's the way the system is set up. They (Lyft/Uber) need to figure out a minimum fare for trips like this. The only other hope is the PAX knows it sucks and flips you a tip.

Last edited:

Mikejay

On Lyft once you hit yoiu have arrived you can click on the

I know rides like this totally suck but it's not really the PAX fault it's the way the system is set up. They (Lyft/Uber) need to figure out a minimum fare for trips like this. The only other hope is the PAX knows it sucks and flips you a tip.
Hey PT your response to my question was cut off. How do you look at it after you have arrived? Wondering for a friend.....

PTUber

Hey PT your response to my question was cut off. How do you look at it after you have arrived? Wondering for a friend.....
Tap the arrive button and then tap the passenger info square in the bottom left, it will tell you the destination before you start the ride.

NUBER-LE

I wait 5 min on UBER, no show and I am out...... What scam are we pulling uhhh none. You are just an ANT that waits forever.

Mikejay

Well i had one the other night. Guy keeps telling me i am at the wrong location and would not tell me where he is. I wait 5 minutes and cancel. Lyft repings me to the same exact address again. I call the rider again but he won't pick up. Wait five minutes and cancel. You know what Lyft does? Doesn't give me the cancellation fee for the second ride. The wheels on the bus go round and round.

touberornottouber

Of course this is just one side of the story. Realize that.

But personally I feel if we do anything besides go to where the exact pin location is and wait for five minutes then we are doing extra. Consider that for minimum trips I'm not even getting $3. Now I'm a nice guy so I do extra 99% of the time but it needs to be acknowledged that this is extra and not expected.

1. The customer needs to verify that the pin is in the correct location along with the correct address. If there is anything strange about it or which makes it difficult to access it is the customer's responsibility to contact us while enroute.

2. When the customer orders the ride they need to be ready or able to be ready within one minute.

Not to say that some aren't scamming but expecting me to treat you like some sort of king or queen for $3 is ridiculous. I even resent having to call the customer because I feel if they did their job it wouldn't be necessary.

Sadly I estimate less than 50% of customers are out the door within a minute of my pulling up and that shouldn't be. The customer sees where we are at and is given an estimate. This isn't like the old taxis where it could be anywhere between 3 - 30 minutes and you have no idea when they will come.

That definitely sucks and I've had a few like that. But in most cases I doubt the customer realizes how badly we are paid for this. Rides like that can take 30 minutes with our take being under $5.

There definitely need to be adjustments to the minimums which are paid to the driver. For example perhaps:

- Minimum $5 per trip
- Plus an extra $2-$3 minimum per stop.
- Absolutely no stops permitted unless set up through the app!

...along with an adjustment to the wait time charge so it is more fair to the driver.

fairsailing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be clear, I have no problem collecting the $5 if they are not down in five. Also, if they are not at the pin, 5 minutes, cancel $5 bucks.

What I do have a problem with, is selecting arrived when you are around the corner, out of sight, not liking the destination, so continuing hiding, then selecting pax not here, and collecting $5 bucks. In this case, the pax waited 15 minutes for the car to arrive, saw that he had arrived, but car was not there, waited an additional 5 minutes, was charged a cancellation fee. 9 times out of 10 pax will report this, so drivers who do this will get deactivated eventually.

So driver probably thought this downtown Mpls hotel was an airport run, drove some ways to get it, when he saw that it was not, decided to collect $5 and stay downtown in the surge.

touberornottouber

To be clear, I have no problem collecting the $5 if they are not down in five. Also, if they are not at the pin, 5 minutes, cancel $5 bucks.

What I do have a problem with, is selecting arrived when you are around the corner, out of sight, not liking the destination, so continuing hiding, then selecting pax not here, and collecting $5 bucks. In this case, the pax waited 15 minutes for the car to arrive, saw that he had arrived, but car was not there, waited an additional 5 minutes, was charged a cancellation fee. 9 times out of 10 pax will report this, so drivers who do this will get deactivated eventually.

So driver probably thought this downtown Mpls hotel was an airport run, drove some ways to get it, when he saw that it was not, decided to collect $5 and stay downtown in the surge.
....or the driver might have driven to where the pin was and hit arrive but the customer placed the pin wrong or say at a different entrance than they actually are at. The customer then sees this as the driver "scamming" them as opposed to taking responsibility for the poorly placed pin or not contacting the driver and telling them which entrance, etc. This probably happens many multiples more than a case where the driver hits arrive and goes around the corner on purpose to collect the no show fee.

I had a Chinese student just today who said I was the forth Uber driver he got. The others all canceled on him after not being able to find him. The pin was across the street from where he really was and his English and accent was very bad. I ended up finding him but only after a lot of work on my part to get good info from him. It was Uber but if it were Lyft I easily could have went to the pin, hit arrive, waited 5 minutes and then charged him and he'd probably see it as me ripping him off too.

fairsailing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am the one who actually gave this person a ride. They were out in 30 seconds from one of the clearest and easiest hotel pickups in the Twin Cities. This was no accident.

Ubernomics

Welcome to the wonderful world of LYFT automatically adding rides while drivers are in route to destination. click the little gray box "decline". Now onto the next ride I can see without the acceptance rate notice blocking it.