Canada auto dealer warranty law

onelanka

Does anyone know where I can find dealer auto warranty law as it relates to maintenance? The US law looks like this:
Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

PoorBasterd

I don't know about the question you're asking, but I do know that if you use your car for livery services, your new car warranty is null and void. Even when a cabbie buys a brand new car for use as a legit taxi, he can't get any repairs done under dealer/manufacturer warranty like other buyers. He has to pay.

LondonONTdriver

I asked the question to my dealer when I was buying (Hyundai) and they stated that repairs don't have to be done by the dealership just by an authorized repair facility. They gave me a list of repair locations in London that provided Hyundai certified repairs.

I'm sure all dealers are different. However, I strongly recommend sticking with the dealership because if something does go wrong under a third party repair I bet they would fight tooth and nail to make you pay for it.

onelanka

Hyundai charged me $250 for wheel alignment/ balancing, seems excessive to me. This is why I asked. Doing Uber increases the frequency of services etc.

jfr1

Hyundai charged me $250 for wheel alignment/ balancing, seems excessive to me. This is why I asked. Doing Uber increases the frequency of services etc.
technically, doing Uber has voided your warranty anyways... so not to worry.

biozon

Hyundai charged me $250 for wheel alignment/ balancing, seems excessive to me.
First of all, that's not excessive. Quality balancing on a Road Force machine will cost around $80-100. Laser wheel alignment - around $100-120. Comes to $180-220. Add tax, and there you have it.

Secondly, neither wheel alignment nor wheel balancing are vehicle breakdowns. It's the same thing as regular service or break pads replacement - customer is paying for that.

Myxx

Every manufacturer has their own specific policy on adjustments etc. Most are 1 year 20,000km on adjustments and some are 90-120 days. What is the KM and age of of your Hyundai? There is no law specifying what a warranty is/will cover in the province of Ontario

PoorBasterd

Personally, I've never had a good experience with OEM dealer repair shops. You would think that since they repair only that brand of car, they would be uber-experts in auto repairs. But that has not been my experience. I've taken a Honda I once owned to the dealer and the mechanic was stumped on what the problem might be. All he could do was recommend changing a whole heap of parts for a shit-load of money. Then I took the car to a back-street shop and the mechanic figured out the problem right away and fixed it.

I only go to dealer repair shops if the whole thing is being done under new car warranty or recall.

UberRacer

To answer the op's question. You don't have to bring your vehicle to the dealer for regular maintenance or repairs. You do need to keep a very accurate record with all receipts to qualify for warranty coverage.

You do however need to bring it to the dealer for warranty repairs or to have to recalls performed.