1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can you run the Lyft and Uber partner apps on the same device?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by grrrrrruber, Sep 7, 2015.

1. grrrrrruber

grrrrrruber

Driving:
    UberX
    I've been driving for Uber for a few weeks now and am considering also doing Lyft but wondering if they can run on the same device? My personal phone is also my work phone paid for by my full time employer so I can't go over my data. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 through TMobile with unlimited data to drive for Uber but honestly, that phone drops the app all the time or drops it and says it can't locate me when I'm picking up a pax. When that happens I use my personal phone while doing a hard reset on my TMobile phone. I'm worried that trying to run the two apps simultaneously on that phone will make it worse.

Anyone with experience running both apps on the same device? Also, can anyone tell me why the Uber app uses so much data? I've driven a total of 49 hours over the course of 3 weeks and my TMobile phone which I don't use for any other purpose is already over 4gb and that's with me having to use my personal phone several times a "shift" and one day almost all day. Obviously, much higher than the 2gb they quoted, lol.

2. Luberon

Luberon

Yes you can. Many of us do, It is an exercise in app shuffling tho. Lyft app can run in the background. Uber logs you out if it is in background too long.

3. grrrrrruber

grrrrrruber

Driving:
    UberX
    So if it's on in the background how do I see what the ping is? Sorry for the stupid question, I am pretty confused how they can both run and you be able to see the ping to accept it.

4. ReviTULize

ReviTULize

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It is forced to the front and takes over your screen for a request

5. SteveGo

SteveGo

They Lyft App will pop up on the screen with the ping, if you are looking at something else.

6. grrrrrruber

grrrrrruber

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh okay. What happens if Uber pings you at the same time?

7. Luberon

Luberon

Once a ping comes in, the app comes front and center. You accept the request then toggle back to logout of your second app

8. Luberon

Luberon

You accept one, ignore the second; accept both then cancel one; OR ignore both.
    If the pings come in the same exact instant, one may wait in line or they crash your phone .... ;)

9. grrrrrruber

grrrrrruber

Driving:
    UberX
    Thank you all for the answers to my questions.

10. ReviTULize

ReviTULize

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Accept the Lyft ping. At least there's a chance you'll get a tip

grrrrrruber likes this.
  11. SteveGo

SteveGo

It does happen. If I am running both I usually choose the Lyft ping. You can ignore the Uber ping or try the quick cancel (skipping) method. That does not work with Lyft.

If I am working an Uber surge, I am not logged on to Lyft.

ReviTULize and grrrrrruber like this.
  12. Realityshark

Realityshark

Yes. You can run both. It helps to destroy your car in half the time.