• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can you cancel a trip you just started?

iUBERdc

Can you cancel a trip you just started? Had two drunk a holes who started cushing at me the moment I started the trip. Can I just cancel it and prevent a rate hit or do I finish the trip right here and risk the backlash?

Maven

I would first stop the car and give them one chance saying I cannot drive like this. If that does not work then politely ask them to get out saying I will not drive with abusive riders. If that does not work then threaten to call the cops or bluff saying you already activated a hidden call. Once they leave, you can cancel the call yourself. It's essential to report everything immediately in as much detail as possible to protect yourself. If you feel it's necessary then call 911 explain the situation, say you are afraid they will return, and ask to file a police report. You may get a one rating from them, but that will have little effect if you have dozens or hundreds of good ratings.

steveK2016

You cannot cancel exactly where you started. It will advise you that your trip is too short. You need to drive about 100 feet or so.

Also never threaten to call 911. If the moment requires 911 you dial it. Threatening to dial will lead to escallation that may induce violence that may prevent you from actually dialing. At least if it happens once youve dialed, youll have dispatch on the line.

If the pax exits and leaves, explain to dispatch the situation and that you feared for your life but that the threat is now over.

wk1102

You cannot cancel exactly where you started. It will advise you that your trip is too short. You need to drive about 100 feet or so.
The last time I did this it said trip was too short and it gave me tne option to cancel the trip instead. tjos was a few months ago

JimKE

If you are able to cancel the ride, the pax will not be able to rate you.

If you have to end the ride, they will be able to rate you -- but taking the hit on the rating is worth avoiding their drunken stupidity. It's one rating out of hundreds.

Either way, I would immediately notify Uber of the circumstances. With Uber, "first in" seems to mean everything.

Oscar Levant

Can you cancel a trip you just started? Had two drunk a holes who started cushing at me the moment I started the trip. Can I just cancel it and prevent a rate hit or do I finish the trip right here and risk the backlash?
yes, just end the trip, and Uber will force it as a cancel if you didn't travel a minimum distance. I know this because it was raining, and one rider had me drive him one half of a block, and the app went into cancel mode. It was no glitch, the app explained why it was doing it, because the ride was too short. this is actually good news, and I wasn't aware of this until that rainy night, and I've been driving for UBer for 3 years, and I cant' think of how many times i wished i had ended the trip right after someone climbed into my car who, after a few seconds, I realized they were complete A-holes.

Last edited:

PTUber

If you have to end the ride, they will be able to rate you -- but taking the hit on the rating is worth avoiding their drunken stupidity. It's one rating out of hundreds.

Either way, I would immediately notify Uber of the circumstances. With Uber, "first in" seems to mean everything.
Yes you more than likely wouldn't be able to cancel but you can end the trip. If you notify Uber right away letting them know why, even if they rate you bad (who cares really) you can have them omit the rating. JimKE is right first in always helps.

Fishchris

A couple weeks ago i picked up two very drunk women. Drove about 300 feet at which point one started saying she was going to puke. I slammed on the brakes and told them to get out quick, and that Uber charges $300 to clean up puking in a car..... I was then able to cancel.

I immediately messaged Uber and told the situation and that even though it was i that canceled, i thought i should still get the cancel fee. They agreed and i got paid for it.... Although it was some totally random amount, like $3.89 ? Weird. But whatever...

Greguzzi

Yes, you can cancel the ride, and should.

AuxCordBoston

I have noticed that "first in" does work.