Can you all support yourselves do this full time???

fspgocolts

Hey all,

My nephew told me he was thinking about leaving CSN and driving an UBER full time cuz he heard he can make 1K/Week working it full time. He said he knows he would have to treat it like a full time job, put in at least 40 hours a week, but I've heard some anecdotal horror stories. He has a 2014 Toyota Camry, it's silver. I've tried telling him he has to pay all of his expenses, but he's convinced after all is said and done, he can walk out with a G a week. Are you guys all making a decent living driving for UBER? I'd really appreciate any honest feedback. He'd basically be a taxi driver, and those guys don't make a lot right? Does UBER look out for the drivers? I've looked at some threads here and people are saying it's slow. I'd like to steer him in the right direction. If he was my kid, his ass would stay in school, but he's over 21, so what can I say?

NorwayUber

You can gross $1k a week no problem. In the beginning it will take much more than 40 hours to do so. It takes time to figure out when and where to focus the driving.

Factor in gas and maintenance of the car and you will have to gross way more than $1k to take home $1k.

wallae

Hey all,

My nephew told me he was thinking about leaving CSN and driving an UBER full time cuz he heard he can make 1K/Week working it full time. He said he knows he would have to treat it like a full time job, put in at least 40 hours a week, but I've heard some anecdotal horror stories. He has a 2014 Toyota Camry, it's silver. I've tried telling him he has to pay all of his expenses, but he's convinced after all is said and done, he can walk out with a G a week. Are you guys all making a decent living driving for UBER? I'd really appreciate any honest feedback. He'd basically be a taxi driver, and those guys don't make a lot right? Does UBER look out for the drivers? I've looked at some threads here and people are saying it's slow. I'd like to steer him in the right direction. If he was my kid, his ass would stay in school, but he's over 21, so what can I say?

It depends where. Some places are busier than others. Some areas pay more and some less.

I average 21 an hour weekend nights. 300 over the weekend.

During the week it’s a whole different story. Maybe 6/8 an hour.

I just try to net 200 after gas on weekends. Sometimes I get 350. Have gotten 400 but I live off social security retirement.

I don’t need to make anything.

What he needs to think of too, is what’s his fall back position. There’s almost no barriers to entry. He could make a lot less if his area gets flooded with drivers. Pay goes down. Any number of things

You can gross $1k a week no problem.

This is an absurd statement. Do you know where the kid is? The rate in his town? How much it surges?

No you don't.

Is a driver in New York City going to make the same money as a driver in a small town in Kansas?

There are towns here in my state where you can’t make 300, maybe even 200

PAUSC

Driving for Uber is a zero sum game. Bottom line. Sharpen your pencil and do the math.

wallae

Driving for Uber is a zero sum game. Bottom line. Sharpen your pencil and do the math.

Not for all. I bought my car wholesale.
Got 3000 into it.. 04 gmc with 90000 miles.. I’ll sell it for 3000 next year with 120,000 or so. I’ll have brought in 28,000. (deduction 16,000)

I just do weekends at 22 an hour.

JethroBodine

I don't see this happening for him. I see this as a sideline while pursuing something else. The money is unpredictable every week.

Alfred j

Not for all. I bought my car wholesale.
Got 3000 into it.. 04 gmc with 90000 miles.. I’ll sell it for 3000 next year with 120,000 or so. I’ll have brought in 28,000. (deduction 16,000)

I just do weekends at 22 an hour.
I guess it all depends on what you can live with. How anyone could tell a kid it's ok to quit school to drive Uber is beyond my comprehension.

wallae

Yep.. if anything the money (here) is on weekends. You could do both.

I don't see this happening for him. I see this as a sideline while pursuing something else. The money is unpredictable every week.

Weekend nights for me are very unpredictable but I always seem to average out. Lousy Sat great Sun..

I’m sure knowing Odds I’ll have a whole lousy weekend someday. Not yet though.. and again I don’t need to make anything

VegasRickster

Yes you can make a $1000 week working this full time....but no job security of any kind can be deactivated at any time for any reason or no reason....dangerous driving conditions that I don’t even know where to begin with it’s so screwed up here and how I’ve ditched and dodged since 2014 with no acccident is a miracle I’ve had some mind blowing close calls though........Uber could care less if you lived or died today and treats you as such....other drivers will screw you anyway possible and you will learn to screw them anyway possible......lol....you will have to learn the whole kickback hustle which is one way to earn more....but yea it’s out there the money but you really have to want it.....gl

TomH

Hey all,

Your nephew would be a colossal fool to quit school. Uber is just a gig and not a career. He should stay in school, get a degree and get a real job.

Lee239

Hey all,

Uber does not look out for the drivers. If a driver says hes drunk because he's mad about a ride your nephew is fired.
Taxi drivers do make money; Uber do not. Tell him to drive a taxi instead.
If he makes $1000 a week he had to pay for his own gas maybe like $3oo a week he will put 2000 miles on his car and not make anything after deductions and will sit around for hours waiting for a ride.

Tell him to try it part time first, but it's a gig not a job. plus he's not contributing to his social security or medicare, nor unemployment or workers comp He will do better with a low paying job.

He can't make $1000 he may be able to gross that amount, but that's not what he earns.

wallae

>>>Yes you can make a $1000 week working this full time

Not in my town. Period

I can only do 22 an hour on the weekends when I'm busy and it's red. I take 300 or so.
That leaves 700. The rest of the time at .60 a mile and .09 a minute is between 6 and 12 an hour.
I would have to work 70 hours and hope there are rides at 3 am..

Last edited:

svsio

yeah tell your nephew to stay in school. yes you can take home 1k a week but then what? i drive for rideshare because i can't get a better job, and im saving money so i can go to school someday.. rideshare business is getting worse as time goes, so you can't really think that you will do this for a long time...

bsliv

If the 4 year old Camry has 60,000 miles, Edmunds estimates it will cost $0.36 per mile to drive for the next 15,000 miles. That does not include taxes, fees, financing costs, insurance, licensing, or tickets. It does include depreciation, fuel, maintenance, and repairs.

When I drove, half my miles were dead miles. That makes the effective cost to drive 1 mile with a rider $0.72. His car is too nice for Uber X.

Uberisfuninlv

I can tell you that most drivers grossly overestimate their pay. I’ll give you real perspective.

If he’s in school, stay in school and drive when you have time part time. Don’t quit to do this full time.

Is it possible to make $1K a week? Most weeks it is not...unless you want to drive 60 to 70 hours. And that is gross pay, not net. Your net will be a lot less than that when you count gas car washes oil change taxes and food drinks you spend while doing this.

On a holiday weekend and with a little luck, you might be able to gross $1K in 50-60 hours.

But net $1k no no no. Unless you are very lucky and get some decent KBs.

dnlbaboof

best thing is to try for one week and see........if his grades are good and he likes school its probably best to stay in school, but if school is a pain and things arent going well then why not try a different path????