1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

can someone simply explain airport new rules?

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by Emp9, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Emp9

Emp9

Driving:
    UberX
    i have been on vaca for 10 days. i get an email and a phone call message about this but its not very clear what they mean. anyone break it down to me like a 5 year old, thanks.

2. bart2puck

bart2puck

Driving:
    UberX
    http://www.driveuberdc.com/uber-dulles-pickups

go to noted parking lot in link above. dont leave area, you will lose spot in queue. dont cancel request, you will lose spot in queue.

sit. wait. sit, wait..and then wait. after that sit for a bit...

get a ping, call them, go pick em up. hopefully its far.

i have done 3 so far, average 45-1hr wait time between pings.

2 to DC, 1 to sterling.

Emp9 likes this.
  3. Uberest

Uberest

Driving:
    UberX
    I would add one other task list: use the bathroom BEFORE you go to the lot....:) As B2P noted, you will lose your place in the queue if you leave the lot. And there are no porta potties, at least not as of a few days ago.

Qwert1234 likes this.
  4. I don't even bother waiting at the airport. I prefer the downtown Capitol Hill area. It is nonstop there.

5. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    people be hoping they get that big 60mil run from the airport lol

but any long trip like that is going to put you out the area at the end or very non pingy area
    $1/mile, guaranteed dead miles back
    i guess its worth it to some.....

6. Emp9

Emp9

Driving:
    UberX
    so basically this was all about waiting in the airport (which i never do) ok thanks.

7. bart2puck

bart2puck

Driving:
    UberX
    last night for example. went to dulles waiting area, and got ping fairly quickly. got a a ride from dulles to dc. ~45$. since i wanted to be in dc anyway, it was perfect. racked up ~125$ total in 3 hours. the airport trip paid for my miles into town. of course the miles out are dead.

8. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    well yeah you can always luck up and the trip goes where you want it to go
    and of course it could have gone 45miles deeper into the sticks of Virginia
    its a gamble we all know
    me personally i hate dc
    i got a 2.3x surge last night, about $35, still hated it
    small problems was the passenger trying to co-GPS along with my GPS
    not to mention just trying to meet up with them standing at a busy intersection where stopping is not permitted
    and people just hopping out the car without looking nearly getting my door banged.This is common though in the busy streets of DC, cars come from everywhere

JaguaGirl likes this.
  9. bart2puck

bart2puck

Driving:
    UberX
    yea, 2 nights ago, i waited 45 minutes for a ping that earned me 7$.

I agree dc blows for the most part. however its where the pings are right now. 8/10 times i wait less then 5 minutes for next ping. that doesn't happen out in loudoun/fairfax county.
    Greater MD is way too many dead miles to drive in for me. if in the slightest chance i get a ride from ashburn->frederick than i will give it a go....

the weeknight scene is muuuuch better than the weekend.

last night i had:

some random lawyer - good chat about speed camera tickets
    some high up guy on the Ben Carson election campaign - good conversation about trump/carson/etc..
    some GM of a club in dc - good conversation about his clientel.
    2 lobbyists - good conversations about their trade.

friday/saturday nights:

100% - WOOOO. HAMMERED LETS GO TO CLUB WHATEVER...

10. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX

yeah DC is the place to be for pings, I cant dispute that,yall can have it though
    i wouldnt recommend greater Maryland to anyone who has to travel far to it. where i now live in PG county im only 10min away from the greater Maryland line.People in like Bowie or Laurel are like 2min from it
    so anyone living in Virginia or some parts of Maryland i wouldnt do it

11. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Welcome to the world of the National and Dulles Aiport cab drivers. If there is anything that the Dulles driver hates, it is a Reston or a Herndon. If there is anything that a National driver hates, it is Crystal City. At times, these guys have been sitting for two hours, or more, to wait for a fare (one reason that I do not work National--Dulles is a closed system).

I used to grab Crystal City trips out of National all the time when I started driving a cab in the City. I would get them from the starters, as they did not want to listen to the garbage from the drivers in the line. The police would look the other way, as, despite their zeal to harass cab drivers, they figured that it was better to spare the passenger all of the noise. It was illegal for me to run those trips, mind you, but, for me they were gasolene money, for the drivers in line and everyone else, it just made everything easier.

That stopped when they built the holding pens. Suddenly, the police at National started to issue summonses to cab drivers who picked up outside the line. Too bad.

There was one time, at the old Main at National, where this Arlington driver in the line was dancing around his cab, opening and slamming the doors, the trunk and the hood while he screamed in Arabic, Urdu or Farsi (I was not sure which) at the starter and everyone else. This middle-aged lady in a business suit was standing there looking rather fearful as she clutched a small suitcase tightly. A police was watching this cabaret with mild amusement. I looked at the police, pointed to the lady and asked him "May I?". He told me to go ahead, and waved at the starter. I walked up to the lady, extended my hand for her suitcase and said to her "Yes. Ma'am, did you want to go to Crystal City?". She handed me the suitcase, asked me how I knew. Mr. Dancing Bear cab driver came up to me, grabbed my right hand and pumped it enthusiastically as he thanked me over and over in a very loud voice. The lady followed me to my cab. The police walked past us toward the now happy cab driver (for the moment, at least). As I was holding open the door for her, I observed the police as he was running Dancing Bear out of the line. This was late July, so I know that the guy had been waiting for at least one hour for a trip. He could have had three dollars with no tip, maybe five with one. To be sure, not much money, but better than the zero that he did receive.