Can Passengers Drink Alcohol In a Car?

Uberx Vegas

Today I received ping from Monte Carlo .... so I headed over there as soon as I parked in front of Uber pick sign a lady and a guy came into my car .I noticed both of them have glasses in their hands and they are drinking something. I asked them are you drinking alcoholic? The lady responded no. I said cool before I start the trip I have to smell both of your glasses and make sure you are not drinking alcoholic in my car......as soon I said that they started getting out of the car...... I cancelled their trip for them and moved on. The same thing happened last week A guy at MGM got into my car with a cup drinking something out of it. I said to him what are you drinking ? Are you drinking alcoholic in my car? He told me he would give me 5star rating if I allowed him to drink in my car and drive him to where he wanted to go. LOL.Is 5start rating better than losing my driving license ?

Nevada’s “Open Container” Law
Nevada law forbids anyone from drinking an alcoholic beverage while they are driving or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle. NRS 484.448. In addition, it is unlawful for anyone to have an open alcoholic beverage container in the passenger area of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is being driven. This statute is separate and apart from Nevada’s impaired driving laws.

Driving is a privilege that the State of Nevada may regulate. See McCharles v. State, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, 99 Nev. 831, 673 P.2d 488 (1983). If a person violates any state driving laws, his driver’s license may be suspended, revoked, or canceled. See generally NRS chapter 483; see also Yohey v. State, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, 103 Nev. 584, 747 P.2d 238 (1987).

Under Nevada’s Illegal Per Se law, if chemical tests show an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or above (0.04 percent for commercial licensees) or a certain concentration of a prohibited substance, the State of Nevada will revoke the offender’s drivers license, assess a fine, and impose a sentence, with increased penalties for prior convictions. NOTE: A person can be arrested and convicted of DUI, even with less than a 0.08 percent alcohol concentration, with sufficient evidence that the person was under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance (includes prescription and over-the-counter medications). See generally NRS 484C.110 et seq.

Additionally, under Nevada’s Zero Tolerance law, if a driver under the age of 21 has 0.02 or more but less than 0.08 percent alcohol concentration, the State of Nevada will suspend the driver’s license for 90 days. NRS 483.461.
http://nvpac.nv.gov/Resources/Topics/DUI_Open_Container/

CatchyMusicLover

It depends if we are considered commercial or private. It IS allowed in commercial.
I took that silly class Uber offers (one of the first, if not the first) and even the runners of that class had no clue what the answer was and suggested we decide for ourselves if it was allowed.
I for one will not allow it, though I've had people manage to sneak it on anyway...

Wskunza

guess you could always play the ignorance card...how am I supposed to know what is in their drink officer ..looked like a soda to me i'm not psychic.

Freebyrdie

If they have a beverage I will ask them if it is alcohol. If they say yes I ask them to go ahead and finish it before they get in my car. If they say no...I ask to smell it. Playing dumb will not excuse us from the law......we will still get the ticket.

Reversoul

Today I received ping from Monte Carlo .... so I headed over there as soon as I parked in front of Uber pick sign a lady and a guy came into my car .I noticed both of them have glasses in their hands and they are drinking something. I asked them are you drinking alcoholic? The lady responded no. I said cool before I start the trip I have to smell both of your glasses and make sure you are not drinking alcoholic in my car......as soon I said that they started getting out of the car...... I cancelled their trip for them and moved on. The same thing happened last week A guy at MGM got into my car with a cup drinking something out of it. I said to him what are you drinking ? Are you drinking alcoholic in my car? He told me he would give me 5star rating if I allowed him to drink in my car and drive him to where he wanted to go. LOL.Is 5start rating better than losing my driving license ?

Nevada law forbids anyone from drinking an alcoholic beverage while they are driving or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle. NRS 484.448. In addition, it is unlawful for anyone to have an open alcoholic beverage container in the passenger area of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is being driven. This statute is separate and apart from Nevada’s impaired driving laws.

Driving is a privilege that the State of Nevada may regulate. See McCharles v. State, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, 99 Nev. 831, 673 P.2d 488 (1983). If a person violates any state driving laws, his driver’s license may be suspended, revoked, or canceled. See generally NRS chapter 483; see also Yohey v. State, Dept. of Motor Vehicles, 103 Nev. 584, 747 P.2d 238 (1987).

Under Nevada’s Illegal Per Se law, if chemical tests show an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or above (0.04 percent for commercial licensees) or a certain concentration of a prohibited substance, the State of Nevada will revoke the offender’s drivers license, assess a fine, and impose a sentence, with increased penalties for prior convictions. NOTE: A person can be arrested and convicted of DUI, even with less than a 0.08 percent alcohol concentration, with sufficient evidence that the person was under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance (includes prescription and over-the-counter medications). See generally NRS 484C.110 et seq.

Additionally, under Nevada’s Zero Tolerance law, if a driver under the age of 21 has 0.02 or more but less than 0.08 percent alcohol concentration, the State of Nevada will suspend the driver’s license for 90 days. NRS 483.461.
I think u answered your own question. Don't let these losers drink in your vehicle. I really despise the lack of respect from the uber pax.

LV-Reni

Rugar45

Open containers are not allowed in any vehicle in NV. Including cabs, but for some reason, cabs usually let you bring it. I do not let anyone in my car with open alcohol. I'm not willing to get a ticket and have my insurance rates raised so someone can drink. http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jan/09/las-vegas-drinking-laws-explained/
In our Ta training they said it was legal for cabs. Most believe It's also legal for limos. I am sure in a party town metro wants to sniff drinks in cab passengers hands.

You guys seem to know so much. Been going on for years in Vegas in cabs and limos. Cab Cops say it's ok in training. If it is illegal its not being enforced. Kind of like the seatbelt thing on the strip with cabs. That's never enforced either.

I get all my legal advice from the Las Vegas sun. Pinhead journalists.

I wouldn't let anybody drink in my personal car.

Last edited:

Naturegirl

In our Ta training they said it was legal for cabs. Most believe It's also legal for limos. I am sure in a party town metro wants to sniff drinks in cab passengers hands.

You guys seem to know so much. Been going on for years in Vegas in cabs and limos. Cab Cops say it's ok in training. If it is illegal its not being enforced. Kind of like the seatbelt thing on the strip with cabs. That's never enforced either.

I get all my legal advice from the Las Vegas sun. Pinhead journalists.

I wouldn't let anybody drink in my personal car.
For the shuttle company I worked for it was definitely illegal. Limos are different for some reason. I think because the back is separated from the front.

Naturegirl

I found this...
http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/faq.cfm#1

That quotes a second part of the law which seems to be missing above.
(With a couple of interesting other comments....like not in a parking lot at all? Odd)
Interesting.. so even tho it's legal technically, companies can still make a rule that it's not allowed (such as the shuttle company I worked for.) They told us it was illegal, but maybe that was just their way to enforce it with each driver.

dpthree

I happily welcome any PAX carrying open containers of alcohol. I have a light Tan interior that I have to clean daily. When they spill their drink (And they spill it 3/4 times) I take 5 good photos after dropping them off, submit a cleaning fee to Uber, take the $50 reimbursement from Uber for alcohol spillage.

Consider it a "kickback". Collect $50 & Uber on.

BKMxl

YES as long as they share.