Can Lyft come back already??

Cou-ber

What do we need to do to convince Lyft to come back here? If it originally left because it didn't think we'd pay for the licensing fees, we've proven it's wrong. Uber has established the market is here and one glance at the Houston forum would prove we, its future drivers, are eager and willing for change to occur. Shoooot, I've been looking at tons of earning statements from Lyft drivers and they are life changing, truly. I'm not a business person so I don't know the schmoozey jargon and approach to take but surely we can sway them. I'm sure with our support and word of mouth we can help Lyft grow rapidly and cheaply. Soooo how can we/me do this????

tripAces

Getting in touch with Corporate Office of Lyft. I have had people ask if Houston had it. Once told no they are astonished.

Also I thought they pulled out do to the money the City wanted. Not necessarily about the market or license fee's.

I would join Lyft fast myself.

Bukrub

Lyft is coming back to Houston in 2016. I'm already approved and inspected and can start day 1. They were just waiting for Uber to get all the legalities settled so they wouldn't have to bother with it.

Cou-ber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lyft is coming back to Houston in 2016. I'm already approved and inspected and can start day 1. They were just waiting for Uber to get all the legalities settled so they wouldn't have to bother with it.
Awesome. Can you share how one can also be ready to rock and roll on that beautiful day as well?

Bukrub

When I first signed up for Uber I thought Lyft was here as well. I signed up and set an appt for inspection, but they never showed up. After a few emails I learned they weren't here. All I was lacking being approved was the inspection. I had a planned trip to Dallas and got it done there.

itsablackmarket

Lyft left because their userbase is mostly younger people. Houston is mostly older people, and Uber's marketing tends be more catered to them. They just didn't do well here. They shouldn't have given up so easily though, it's America's fourth largest city. Now it's going to be even harder for them to establish themselves so I feel they might not even bother anymore at this point.

Last edited:

MBENZ_GUY

Lyft left because their userbase is mostly younger people. Houston is mostly older people, and Uber's marketing tends be more catered to them. They just didn't do well here. They shouldn't have given up so easily though, it's America's fourth largest city. Now it's going to be even harder for them to establish themselves so I feel they might not even bother anymore at this point.
I believe Houston has passed Chicago to now be the 3rd largest city.

MBENZ_GUY

What do we need to do to convince Lyft to come back here? If it originally left because it didn't think we'd pay for the licensing fees, we've proven it's wrong. Uber has established the market is here and one glance at the Houston forum would prove we, its future drivers, are eager and willing for change to occur. Shoooot, I've been looking at tons of earning statements from Lyft drivers and they are life changing, truly. I'm not a business person so I don't know the schmoozey jargon and approach to take but surely we can sway them. I'm sure with our support and word of mouth we can help Lyft grow rapidly and cheaply. Soooo how can we/me do this????
I don't believe Lyft has the brand appeal that Uber has. Uber is a trendy/fashionable thing to do when ur a Millenial or young professional. I've heard from some Pax that said Lyft [fill in negative word ...sucks, is gross]. I got the impression Lyft is the low rent version of Uber. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. I have a best friend in Atlanta that drives Uber & Lyft. He said he doesn't even turn on the Lyft app. Everyone is using Uber.

MBENZ_GUY

This was a smart play. They let Uber pay to get ride share established and now can piggy back just like GetMe. Uber owns the market right now and they payed a tall price to get it.

UberMensch2015

Depending on how you define the city, I've seen Houston rated 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10. The technical city limits are so huge its not a fair comparison You can drive 50 miles and still be in Houston. In NY, drive 50 miles and you've gone through 100 towns.

Houston has a lot of people though, no matter how you calculate it. Lyft would be nuts to abandon it forever. yes, Uber has a stranglehold now, but if you want to be a national company you have to be in every major city, every day they wait makes it that much harder to get established. If I was Lyft I'd come back to Houston ASAP and price war Uber by paying the drivers a ton. Make your rates the same as Uber and then just take a 5% cut, make it so that the drivers want to switch to Lyft. That would place a lot of surge pressure on Uber and push pax to look at Lyft as an alternative. That will help reestablish market share quickly, pax will do just about anything to avoid a surge. If Uber starts surging a lot the work will get out quickly that Lyft is a better choice for the pax.

MBENZ_GUY

Depending on how you define the city, I've seen Houston rated 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10. The technical city limits are so huge its not a fair comparison You can drive 50 miles and still be in Houston. In NY, drive 50 miles and you've gone through 100 towns.

Houston has a lot of people though, no matter how you calculate it. Lyft would be nuts to abandon it forever. yes, Uber has a stranglehold now, but if you want to be a national company you have to be in every major city, every day they wait makes it that much harder to get established. If I was Lyft I'd come back to Houston ASAP and price war Uber by paying the drivers a ton. Make your rates the same as Uber and then just take a 5% cut, make it so that the drivers want to switch to Lyft. That would place a lot of surge pressure on Uber and push pax to look at Lyft as an alternative. That will help reestablish market share quickly, pax will do just about anything to avoid a surge. If Uber starts surging a lot the work will get out quickly that Lyft is a better choice for the pax.
Lyft may have TWO viable competitors if GetMe starts rolling. Competition s/b good for everyone (except taxis).

Look for bigger numbers inside the 610 loop, especially downtown w/ all the high rise residential bldgs that are going up.

Emoneytx

Plus the populations in Fort Bend and Montgomery Counties is each about or over one million I have read before. They are two of the fastest growing counties in Texas.

itsablackmarket

Weird. I got an email from Lyft today saying I've been wait listed. Completely random. I was a driver at one point last year, but haven't heard from them since they left. Any other previous Lyft drivers get this?

Hi [nameremoved],

Thanks for your interest in joining the Lyft driver community. We've added you to our waitlist for the moment, but we're growing fast and we'll need you down the road. To be at the front of the line when the waitlist is removed, just complete your driver application and training in the Lyft app. To wrap up your application, download the Lyft app at www.lyft.com/app, login and hit the "Drive" button in the upper-right corner.

Thanks,
The Lyft Team