Can I specify the number of seats available since I have a rider of my own?

wuber88

Going for a pretty long drive to a place I plan to visit with my wife. I am contemplating picking up some riders along the way. Can I specify the number of seats available for this particular trip? Is there a setting I can set in my app?

reg barclay

Going for a pretty long drive to a place I plan to visit with my wife. I am contemplating picking up some riders along the way. Can I specify the number of seats available for this particular trip? Is there a setting I can set in my app?
Welcome to the forum.

The answer is that you need to have all 4 passenger seats available. Uber doesn't allow you to have anyone except the Uber passengers and yourself in the car when doing Uber rides.

steveK2016

I never understood why this is a ppolicy. As rideshare, why cant I share my ride while i have someone with me? As the OP wants to share a ride while he and his wife go traveling, why shouldnt he be able to share that ride? As long as its stated in the request.

Perhaps it can be a rider setting where they can get a 10% discount if theyre willing to accept a driver that has their own passenger with them (wife,he, child, etc) I think it should at least be an option.

When the driver accepts the ping, the pax can be allerted that driver has a front seat pax and the ride will be discounted by 10% if they accept the ride.

wuber88

I like your idea. I have the same question as to the rationale behind this Uber rule. If they don’t care that I stuff all strangers in my car, why would they care if one of them is related to me?
If the reason behind this is that they want to max the capacity, the reality is the reverse—I’m not taking ANY riders in this case.

grayspinner

Passengers use the app because they know we've passed a background check - random people who might ride along with us are not guaranteed to have passed a background check.

Now, if you have uber pool in your market , I guess you could pick up pool pax - I don't know how pool works

wuber88

That doesn’t make sense. I am still the driver (who passed the background check). The issue here relates to (one of) the passengers. They don’t pass background checks, AFAIK. They are strangers to each other. Why does it matter if one of the passengers relates to me? The only difference is that passenger is non-paying. But it shouldn’t affect (and doesn’t, I am pretty sure) affect how much the rest pay for their rides.

SuzeCB

I never understood why this is a ppolicy. As rideshare, why cant I share my ride while i have someone with me? As the OP wants to share a ride while he and his wife go traveling, why shouldnt he be able to share that ride? As long as its stated in the request.

Perhaps it can be a rider setting where they can get a 10% discount if theyre willing to accept a driver that has their own passenger with them (wife,he, child, etc) I think it should at least be an option.

When the driver accepts the ping, the pax can be allerted that driver has a front seat pax and the ride will be discounted by 10% if they accept the ride.
One word answer...

Insurance.

grayspinner

That doesn’t make sense. I am still the driver (who passed the background check). The issue here relates to (one of) the passengers. They don’t pass background checks, AFAIK. They are strangers to each other. Why does it matter if one of the passengers relates to me? The only difference is that passenger is non-paying. But it shouldn’t affect (and doesn’t, I am pretty sure) affect how much the rest pay for their rides.

Unless your pax requests pool, their expectation is that the car picking them up has people in it who have passed a background check. (they are expecting only one person in the car - the driver)

You could get away with having someone else with you if you accept pool requests (I would think)

Trafficat

Unless your pax requests pool, their expectation is that the car picking them up has people in it who have passed a background check.

Any felon could steal a Uber driver's phone and suddenly they are an Uber driver unless they happen to get the "image verification" pop-up. The expectation is that the driver passed a check but the reality is that no driver may necessarily be who they are supposed to be.

And the same is true with taxis and police cars. Anyone can make their car look like a taxi cab or a police car, or could have stolen one.

grayspinner

Any felon could steal a Uber driver's phone and suddenly they are an Uber driver unless they happen to get the "image verification" pop-up. The expectation is that the driver passed a check but the reality is that no driver may necessarily be who they are supposed to be.

And the same is true with taxis and police cars. Anyone can make their car look like a taxi cab or a police car, or could have stolen one.

Sure, but that still doesn't mean you can have someone else ride with you.

Trafficat

Sure, but that still doesn't mean you can have someone else ride with you.
Huh? I never said otherwise. In any case, if the only reason your wife can't ride is because she hasn't passed a background check, maybe Uber should let you pay a fee to have a background check done on your friends and family members so they can be with you when you drive.

I never will understand the background check obsession many people have. People are too afraid of each other I think because they mostly go about unarmed.

wuber88

Ok, it does make sense in the case of a UberX rider. He or she doesn’t expect anybody else in the car except the driver and he/she is paying a premium for that.

LAWeasel

Violation of TOS, but you could probably get away with taking only poo rides along the way and avoiding pickups when you are at seatbelt capacity.

steveK2016

One word answer...

Insurance.

Whats the difference between insuring me and 2 uber pax and me, my pax and 1 Uber pax? If you have adequate personal/commercial insurance, youre significant other will be fine. Either you have adequate insurance or you don't, regardless of the pax being uber or your husband.

Huh? I never said otherwise. In any case, if the only reason your wife can't ride is because she hasn't passed a background check, maybe Uber should let you pay a fee to have a background check done on your friends and family members so they can be with you when you drive.

I never will understand the background check obsession many people have. People are too afraid of each other I think because they mostly go about unarmed.

I was about to say this, have them background check as preloaded pax that could ride with you.

reg barclay

Here it is from Uber, make of it what you will:
https://help.uber.com/partners/arti...-?nodeId=9db0159e-437e-4932-bbd2-59002f83adde

uber relative.jpg

JimKE

Whats the difference between insuring me and 2 uber pax and me, my pax and 1 Uber pax? If you have adequate personal/commercial insurance, youre significant other will be fine. Either you have adequate insurance or you don't, regardless of the pax being uber or your husband.
The pax would be covered by Uber's insurance. They're legitimate Uber pax and doing nothing wrong.

The person who would not be covered would be the spouse. And if you file a claim with your regular personal car insurance, they would deny the claim AND cancel your policy because you're using the car for rideshare and they don't insure for that.

I could also see Uber's insurance company refusing to cover damage to the car or any injuries to the driver. They will still protect the paying pax, but if you're violating the TOS, I could see them saying you're not covered.

steveK2016

The pax would be covered by Uber's insurance. They're legitimate Uber pax and doing nothing wrong.

The person who would not be covered would be the spouse. And if you file a claim with your regular personal car insurance, they would deny the claim AND cancel your policy because you're using the car for rideshare and they don't insure for that.

I could also see Uber's insurance company refusing to cover damage to the car or any injuries to the driver. They will still protect the paying pax, but if you're violating the TOS, I could see them saying you're not covered.

I'm not speaking to just forcing the issue now, violating TOS. I'm talking about making personal passengers a legitimate option, as part of the TOS. If I'm ridesharing, why am I limited to sharing my ride when I'm alone? Theoretically, if the misses and I are heading into downtown Dallas, why can't I share a ride with another couple who want to do the same thing?

Uber's liability coverage covers for $1kk for up to 4 pax, it has ample coverage to cover 2 Uber Pax, myself and my personal pax.