• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can I rent a car to start driving in Naples?

hotelmedicis

Hello everyone, I just moved to Naples and would like to get into driving for Uber. I don't have a car and can't afford one at the moment that would meet Uber's requirements. Is anyone out there renting a car and if so, how would I go about it?

Many thanks for your help.

gw03081958

Hello everyone, I just moved to Naples and would like to get into driving for Uber. I don't have a car and can't afford one at the moment that would meet Uber's requirements. Is anyone out there renting a car and if so, how would I go about it?

They don't offer rentals here and you can do better than 7.00 an hour after expenses, find another line of work if you are in good health, Uber here is only for the physically impaired and desperate.

Lee239

basically no, https://help.uber.com/partners/article/can-i-use-a-rental-car-to-drive-?nodeId=d5dd1064-9100-47ee-a37f-404bccea630e

I think if you rented a car it would say that you can not use it for business/profit/work.

Plus you are not the registered owner do I doubt Uber would let you.

They did have a program where you could lease a car from them but I think that tanked.

Cape67

Not sure if you heard the stories out of nyc where drivers leased black cars by the thousands. And then uber slashed the rates and said drivers ended up living in the very cars they hoped would make them money.

For now you would essentially be trading vehicle equity for cash at .76 a mile. Eventually this may improve since uber now has investors to worry about. They arent going to make shareholders happy when they bleed out money and undercut drivers.

Besides. Its the only job out there where you get a pay decrease with each passing year.

hotelmedicis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
basically no, https://help.uber.com/partners/article/can-i-use-a-rental-car-to-drive-?nodeId=d5dd1064-9100-47ee-a37f-404bccea630e

I think if you rented a car it would say that you can not use it for business/profit/work.

Plus you are not the registered owner do I doubt Uber would let you.

They did have a program where you could lease a car from them but I think that tanked.
Many thanks. Uber offers rentals through partnerships in other areas but I guess not here in Naples Fort Myers. Too bad. I'll probably get a car that I can use in Select and X.

Sorry to hear about the pay decreases every year. Why do people keep doing it? Beats Burger King I guess.

mr_sarcastic

They don't offer rentals here and you can do better than 7.00 an hour after expenses, find another line of work if you are in good health, Uber here is only for the physically impaired and desperate.
Yup, we always appreciate it when at least one rider per night asks, "So is this your only job?"
TRANSLATION: They, too, think driving for Uber is only for the physically impaired and desperate. If only they knew...

Cape67

Sorry to hear about the pay decreases every year. Why do people keep doing it? Beats Burger King I guess.
That's a good question, and there are many answers for this.
- Some drivers are attempting to generate extra income who are retired, and don't want to "break" their SSI check coming in. Technically, if you "work" more than 45 hours a month, you are not considered "retired" and since Uber does not "register" hours per week, there is no threat to the retirement check to be worried about.
- You would be surprised how many of your fellow drivers are Ubering just to "get out of the house." Some are widowed but don't have many friends, others may work at home all week, still others find themselves in toxic relationships or even dead marriages where an instant "escape hatch" is readily available at any time of the day or night. These drivers are typically aware that Uber is a losing proposition, but the social escape is far more valuable for them.
- And finally, there are the drivers whose resident Visas may have expired, what with all the cracking down on illegal presences going on in the news, Uber does not check to see if you are, in fact, a US citizen (or legal resident alien) so for many larger cities, Uber and Lyft provide an entire ecosystem for the illegals who otherwise cannot apply for a "legitimate" job. As a disclaimer, this does not in any way, shape or form meant to be disrespectful toward the many hard working and amazing legal immigrants.

gw03081958

That's a good question, and there are many answers for this.
- Some drivers are attempting to generate extra income who are retired, and don't want to "break" their SSI check coming in. Technically, if you "work" more than 45 hours a month, you are not considered "retired" and since Uber does not "register" hours per week, there is no threat to the retirement check to be worried about.
- You would be surprised how many of your fellow drivers are Ubering just to "get out of the house." Some are widowed but don't have many friends, others may work at home all week, still others find themselves in toxic relationships or even dead marriages where an instant "escape hatch" is readily available at any time of the day or night. These drivers are typically aware that Uber is a losing proposition, but the social escape is far more valuable for them.
- And finally, there are the drivers whose resident Visas may have expired, what with all the cracking down on illegal presences going on in the news, Uber does not check to see if you are, in fact, a US citizen (or legal resident alien) so for many larger cities, Uber and Lyft provide an entire ecosystem for the illegals who otherwise cannot apply for a "legitimate" job. As a disclaimer, this does not in any way, shape or form meant to be disrespectful toward the many hard working and amazing legal immigrants.
Amazing legal immigrants, what. How about amazing Americans for allowing them to come here.

montyhall

Wrong time of the year

Post automatically merged:

gw03081958

What about the not-so-hard-working, amazingly sub par legal immigrants?
I agree with most of what he said but what about anchor babies and the many who rape and pillage our infrastructure for ever, calling them amazing only leads to one thought he must be a Biden for president guy, they don't have a prayer unless a new candidate arises. The any thing for a vote crowd.

Many thanks. Uber offers rentals through partnerships in other areas but I guess not here in Naples Fort Myers. Too bad. I'll probably get a car that I can use in Select and X.

Actually McDonalds start you at $10.50 and BK at $11.00 way more you will ever make driving for U/L, this gig is just for lazy people.
:devilish:

Cougs201

I don’t go a single night without a rider telling me about a bad experience they had with a driver who didn’t speak any English. It’s a customer service job. You should be able to communicate with your customers. It’s nothing personal, they are just out there to survive and make a living.

I’ve always wondered, how do non-residents get Florida license, registration and insurance to drive here?

Cape67

Birth certificates can be faked. There's a whole black market, in particular in larger cities with high populations of undocumented, for buying "authentic" birth certificates and alt IDs. I've heard they use dead people's birth certificates, using elaborate ink lifting techniques they can alter just the year. Combine that with a fake "alt" ID such as a credit card, or a utility bill, and you're all set. Once you have a Florida license, the license itself is as real as anything. From there the rest is no different than for a legal citizen. Ironically, some say that the illegals get better insurance rates because they have no "history."

But the cost is high, I'm sure. If I were to guess, the cost to "buy" an identity runs into the thousands. Woe to the person who dares pursue that venue, however. I would imagine that once they were caught, that would pretty much be the End Of Days for the counterfiter.

And this is why Uber will never, ever do Level 2 (fingerprint) background checks. Because if they were forced to do just that, half their driving force would be wiped out in a single day, since Level 2 can be run against international databases, and requires a social.

Uberscum

And this is why Uber will never, ever do Level 2 (fingerprint) background checks. Because if they were forced to do just that, half their driving force would be wiped out in a single day, since Level 2 can be run against international databases, and requires a so

How many white trailer trash hoodwink the system? I know one right off the bat....my new unsolicited roommate for example...moving out soon..

gw03081958

And this is why Uber will never, ever do Level 2 (fingerprint) background checks. Because if they were forced to do just that, half their driving force would be wiped out in a single day, since Level 2 can be run against international databases, and requires a so

How many white trailer trash hoodwink the system? I know one right off the bat....my new unsolicited roommate for example...moving out soon..
Yes but they are here legally and are from US, these Hispanics come here for a better opportunity and rather than doing a good job they try to beat the system this is the main reason why the country they left was screwed up in the first place, the cycle of corruption, Miami Dade is probably the most corrupt county in USA, good job Feds bring in another 100 million. As a country the US has enough problems with out this stupidity.