• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can I opt out of shared rides?

Uberdude1267

Can I set it up that Lyft does not send me those requests at all?

A long time ago, I emailed Uber and told them not to give me pool rides. They allowed me to opt out of those. Now, they even have it in the app for you to pick.

Does Lyft allow one to opt out of receiving those requests?

IR12

A long time ago, I emailed Uber and told them not to give me pool rides. They allowed me to opt out of those. Now, they even have it in the app for you to pick.

No. Lyft puts you in the position of having to cxl rides you don't want so they can send you a nastygram.

KK2929

----------------------

No and Hell no !!!!!

Uberdude1267

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way. So Uber actually does something better than someone else?

On another note, I've been signed up for Lyft for about 6 months and never bothered to do anything with it. Stuck to UE and PM. Figured I'd give it a go yesterday, downloaded the app, turned it on, and BAM..within seconds, I get my first ping. Made me wonder if these people are watching trying to get one to think it's going to be pings all day long. And then hours later comes the shared ride request which was promptly declined.

Fozzie

No way. So Uber actually does something better than someone else?
Uber did it better? Really? LOL

Uber is a major pain in the ass too, and once you're "signed up" for anything, there is no turning it off. Look at UberEats. Once Eats is activated on your account, they will not remove it under any circumstances. (All you can do is disable it in the app) They keep telling me that "who knows, one day you may change your mind and try delivering Eats!" (That I walked into their office with my cane was irrelevant. Why wouldn't I want to hobble around town, struggle getting in/out of my car with food and drinks, or run up/down stairs, just to deliver some assholes Starbucks coffee for 2 dollars?)

Ssgcraig

Uber allowed you opt out of pool? How did you do that? Is that market specific? I wan't this option.

Uberdude1267

Uber allowed you opt out of pool? How did you do that? Is that market specific? I wan't this option.
I have no idea if it's market specific. A long time ago when they introduced Pool or at least when I joined after they started with Pool (don't remember), I emailed them asking to opt out of it. They said ok and never sent me a Pool request. They actually stated that they would make a note in my account so they wouldn't send the request.

But, now, right on the app, you can select what you want to receive. Wish I could do snapshots or screenshots or whatever. Anyway:

1) turn on the app
2) click the 3 bars next to "You're online"
3) click 2 bars to the right that are lines with a small circle almost at the end of them
4) It says "open to some trips" and the options are
Deliveries, UberXL (in my case), and UberX/Pool.

For each one of those, you click to toggle on or off if you are open to those types of requests. I have Deliveries and UberXL on but have the 3rd option off.

Good luck.

Uberdude1267

Ahh, you are not receiving UberX either. I thought you stripped out pool only.
I get it. You're X so you don't get that option? That's actually what Lyft told me today. That I can't opt out of Shared because of the level I'm at (don't know what they call it on Lyft). I just don't accept the rides they offer as Shared. My cancellation rate is at 50% because of that. Oh, well. Don't want to be dropped and I'm not sure if they do but so be it.
Post automatically merged:

Uber did it better? Really? LOL

Uber is a major pain in the ass too, and once you're "signed up" for anything, there is no turning it off. Look at UberEats. Once Eats is activated on your account, they will not remove it under any circumstances. (All you can do is disable it in the app) They keep telling me that "who knows, one day you may change your mind and try delivering Eats!" (That I walked into their office with my cane was irrelevant. Why wouldn't I want to hobble around town, struggle getting in/out of my car with food and drinks, or run up/down stairs, just to deliver some assholes Starbucks coffee for 2 dollars?)
Disabling it in the app is all anyone needs to do if they don't want to do deliveries. I honestly don't see how that can be a pain in the ass. Getting the requests you don't want is a pain in the ass but Uber gives you a way out (as I just found, at least at XL and above). And UE has its pros and cons. I've earned enough there in one month to cover the cost of food and incidentals for a trip my son and I just took to Orlando for the monster truck show. Plan to do the same between now and June when the whole family goes to Disney (just want to cover the cost of the tickets for the park and food). I think everyone really understands that Uber/Lyft was never meant to make drivers able to support a family off of it. Some of those deliveries to apartments are a pain in the ass but most are to a residence or the front desk at a business. It's really kind of easy money.

Last edited:

Ssgcraig

I get it. You're X so you don't get that option? That's actually what Lyft told me today. That I can't opt out of Shared because of the level I'm at (don't know what they call it on Lyft). I just don't accept the rides they offer as Shared. My cancellation rate is at 50% because of that. Oh, well. Don't want to be dropped and I'm not sure if they do but so be it.
Post automatically merged:

Disabling it in the app is all anyone needs to do if they don't want to do deliveries. I honestly don't see how that can be a pain in the ass. Getting the requests you don't want is a pain in the ass but Uber gives you a way out (as I just found, at least at XL and above). And UE has its pros and cons. I've earned enough there in one month to cover the cost of food and incidentals for a trip my son and I just took to Orlando for the monster truck show. Plan to do the same between now and June when the whole family goes to Disney (just want to cover the cost of the tickets for the park and food). I think everyone really understands that Uber/Lyft was never meant to make drivers able to support a family off of it. Some of those deliveries to apartments are a pain in the ass but most are to a residence or the front desk at a business. It's really kind of easy money.
I wish there were enough XL requests to keep me busy on Uber. Lyft I only have XL/LUX turned on, I keep it on and maybe get 1-2 on a Friday night while I am Ubering. Sometimes I get a long trip 45+ on XL, those are fantastic. Usually over 100 bucks.

Uberdude1267

I wish there were enough XL requests to keep me busy on Uber. Lyft I only have XL/LUX turned on, I keep it on and maybe get 1-2 on a Friday night while I am Ubering. Sometimes I get a long trip 45+ on XL, those are fantastic. Usually over 100 bucks.
I've only done 2 Lyft rides and haven't done Uber pax in over a year though I now have both on again for pax. But it seems that Lyft pays ok for the rides I've done.

Where do they have the options on the app for XL/Lux, etc.? Thanks.

Ssgcraig

I've only done 2 Lyft rides and haven't done Uber pax in over a year though I now have both on again for pax. But it seems that Lyft pays ok for the rides I've done.

Where do they have the options on the app for XL/Lux, etc.? Thanks.
In Lyft you go to the vehicle and select them from there, Uber I forget off the top of my head.

FLKeys

A long time ago Uber used to let drivers opt out of taking Pool rides, it was a phone call you had to make. At some point they stopped letting people Opt out. If someone was opted out I don't know if it was reactivated on them or not after they stopped letting people Opt out.

Ssgcraig

A long time ago Uber used to let drivers opt out of taking Pool rides, it was a phone call you had to make. At some point they stopped letting people Opt out. If someone was opted out I don't know if it was reactivated on them or not after they stopped letting people Opt out.
When I went XL, UE is not available to me. Pool should have went away too if you are XL/LUX/Black availalbe.

FLKeys

When I went XL, UE is not available to me. Pool should have went away too if you are XL/LUX/Black availalbe.
I think it is different in different markets. Around here drivers can do both XL and X on and will get pings from both. I have seen posts where other drivers not in my market say they can pick XL or X but not both.

Ssgcraig

I think it is different in different markets. Around here drivers can do both XL and X on and will get pings from both. I have seen posts where other drivers not in my market say they can pick XL or X but not both.
I can turn off/on XL and also I can turn on/off X/Pool. I can have XL and X/pool on at the same time. When I had a third category, UE, I could turn that off and on. I don’t think a pool pax should be graced with an XL/LUX/Black vehicle if that driver has X/pool turned on. If you have XL, they should separate X and pool into separate categories so we can turn them on or off separately. I can't do black so I don't know if they have the option for X/pool. Different markets have different options.

BeansnRice

I complained one day to Lyft about how little they were paying us to take these shared rides where people are finessing the system and we are left with crumbs in compensation.

They guy w customer service got a little tired of me and offered to remove shared from my profile.

I didn’t ask for the removal of shared because I still liked shared w primetime when they had it and for filler rides for weekly bonus.

So..... ask.