• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can I get reimbursed for a flat tire incurred while Ubering?

JK7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang, that bolt is bigger than the office chair turn-knob that got lodged in my tire in June. After a 3 tire repair places refused to work on it and wanted me to buy new tires, I found a mom & pop repair shop to plug it. Because the tire tech thought it was close to the shoulder, he couldn't vouch that a plug would work, and so he didn't charge me. He just wished me luck getting to a tire shop. I drove on that free, plugged tire until early December and about 10,000 miles.

I understand a lot of tire shops do not want to plug tires for $10-$20, when they can sell a tire for 10x that price.

Yes, I have a plug kit in my trunk now. Plenty out there for under $20 and Wally World has one for $5.88. In my town, with all the construction, it is a wise investment.
The bolt punctured the tire head first and put a pretty big hole in it. It also hit just in the perfect spot to miss the tread. I couldn't tell for sure what the culprit was until the guy at the shop changed the tire and pulled that bolt out of it (from the inside of the tire).

So, I got a pretty good looking used tire and service for $60, all included. The good thing about this is I found a decent used tire shop. South Side Tire Services in Austin, if anybody wants to know. Good folks.

20181228_115639.jpg

Steve_TX

Wow! I’ve never seen anything like that before. I highly doubt a plug would even begin to work on that.

Gtown Driver

If you had a lease with Uber their contract company would reimburse for 30 dollar plugs, but even they won't cover a whole tire. Asking if Uber will cover you is even crazier to ask, but you got your answer (apparently can work if you beg but doubt everyone will get same results because Uber).

UberBastid

I buy my tires at the same shop, all the time.
I've shopped him several times and he's never more than a buck or two more than the lowest price, AND he does tire repairs for free. AND he does my Uber inspections for free.

JK7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! I’ve never seen anything like that before. I highly doubt a plug would even begin to work on that.
I also would have to remove the tire from the wheel to get it out. Not sure how to accomplish the first step without some pro service.

Steve_TX

I also would have to remove the tire from the wheel to get it out. Not sure how to accomplish the first step without some pro service.
Correct you are. That is certainly a job for the pros. I don’t care. How fancy someone’s plug kit is!

Juggalo9er

Uber certainly will fix your tire

There is an agreement with discount tire where they will fix flats for free

The same deal may or may not exist with every single person in the country

Iann

They were giving these out at the GLH last time I visited.
download.jpeg

Get a small Compressor and soon enough you will be a pro at fixing a flat in no time.
It wouldn't work on the size of the puncture you had but works great on nails and smaller screws.

islanddriver

bad dealership 99% of new tires and new cars have a roadside warranty . you could go to pepboys they have it for new tires

Atom guy

No uber won't cover it... When you buy your new tire, make sure you get the warranty so any flat tires they will repair it. Sears, NTB, Discrount Tire have good warranties
The tire stores charge a fortune for this - almost the cost of a new tire. I bought my last set of tires at Goodyear, and they wanted like $75 for the road hazard plan, but they fix flat tires for free anyway. So check with the tire store to see what free services they offer before paying for the road hazard plan.

Reactions: JK7

Christinebitg

they wanted like $75 for the road hazard plan
Should have coughed up the $75. Driving on roads you don't know has more risk than staying within your neighborhood and your regular commute.

It's just a cost of doing business, and it's part of the 54c per mile standard mileage deduction.

Irishjohn831

Was it the front left tire ? If so Uber policy is they buy you a new car

One caveat, you have to be in the fantasyland area.