• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can I drive in New York with a PA license?

Sbutton38

I live about 15 miles from the city I want to drive in, but it's in another state (New York.) The closest PA city to drive in is 45 miles away. I'm still waiting to be approved to drive. My background check says "consider" and my license, insurance, and registration is approved. My profile picture says pending, but meets the specified requirements. The background check does say I may be denied because my drivers license was not issued in New York state. Does uber approve drivers from other states? Or would I have to go 45 miles in the state my license was issued in to drive for uber?

SuzeCB

I live about 15 miles from the city I want to drive in, but it's in another state (New York.) The closest PA city to drive in is 45 miles away. I'm still waiting to be approved to drive. My background check says "consider" and my license, insurance, and registration is approved. My profile picture says pending, but meets the specified requirements. The background check does say I may be denied because my drivers license was not issued in New York state. Does uber approve drivers from other states? Or would I have to go 45 miles in the state my license was issued in to drive for uber?
Uber wouldn't care except that N.Y. and NYC do, and have laws in place for TNC driver's there.

You're S.O.L.

reg barclay

Only drivers with NY license can pick up in NY State, as stated above this has nothing to with Uber, but is part of the NY TNC law.

While NYC is more stringent than the rest of the state (because of TLC), AFAIK it's more lenient in a small way, in that drivers from some other states can get a TLC license and pick up in NYC.

Just to add that the 'city' you sign up to drive in doesn't usually mean you can only pick up in that city, it usually includes the whole state (excepting localities that have special laws). So even if you sign up to drive in a PA city 45 minutes away, I think it's likely you can drive in the PA town you live in (assuming there are people using Uber there).

Last edited:

SuzeCB

Only drivers with NY license can pick up in NY State, as stated above this has nothing to with Uber, but is part of the NY TNC law.

While NYC is more stringent than the rest of the state (because of TLC), AFAIK it's more lenient in a small way, in that drivers from some other states can get a TLC license and pick up in NYC.

Just to add that the 'city' you sign up to drive in doesn't usually mean you can only pick up in that city, it usually includes the whole state (excepting localities that have special laws). So even if you sign up to drive in a PA city 45 minutes away, I think it's likely you can drive in the PA town you live in (assuming there are people using Uber there).
I believe the car also has to I believe the car also has to be registered for TLC, which would be a New York City registration. New York City has even higher insurance rates than New Jersey does, which is saying something. I believe New York city has the highest car insurance rates in the country, with the states of New Jersey and Massachusetts jockeying for second place.

reg barclay

I believe the car also has to I believe the car also has to be registered for TLC, which would be a New York City registration. New York City has even higher insurance rates than New Jersey does, which is saying something. I believe New York city has the highest car insurance rates in the country, with the states of New Jersey and Massachusetts jockeying for second place.
It could be you need NY reg to do TLC. I just seem to remember you don't need a NY license. I wasnt really suggesting that he drive in NYC though, just making an observation.

Sbutton38

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for everyone's input. I looked up the TNC law on the NYS DMV site and found it does specify the license needs to be issued in NYS. For anyone's future reference it does not specify any vehicle requirements for which state the vehicle is registered in.

Sbutton38

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The town I live in is pretty small, but I'm going to give it a try. Extra cash is extra cash. Can I pick up in PA AND drop off in NY?

reg barclay

The town I live in is pretty small, but I'm going to give it a try. Extra cash is extra cash. Can I pick up in PA AND drop off in NY?
Even if your town is small, there may be enough rides that you can set a Destination Filter, and get rides to a busier area. Also bear in mind that less populated areas usually have less drivers so sometimes it can even out.

Any regional issues with Uber usually only relate to picking up, but you'll probably receive rides that drop off in NY (and other states too). The main problem with this is that rides to a place you can't pick up in are often less worthwhile, as you have to drive back empty to get another ride.