• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Can Debt Collectors garnish Uber wages?

onionhead

I did nothing when presented with a lawsuit about unpaid credit card debt which resulted in them being awarded the legal right to garnish wages and take money from my bank account. My plan is to make less than what I've read is the minimum they are allowed to garnish from (30x the state minimum wage, $10; $300). So I'm thinking if my payouts are regularly around $257, $280/week, I'm untouchable. Also, I'm regularly moving my money from my bank account into a separate savings account which is not connected to my Chase. Is this how u win this war.

poseidon

yes, they could. but only if they knows u ubering, once they send the request to uber to garnish, u wont be able to use instant pay, garnishment will be deducted first before ur weekly deposit.

no matter how u move money, it wont help, as long as they find out which bank account u have, but they need to find out what accounts u have.

Pig Pen

Like stated above. File bankruptcy.

If they garnish uber. Switch to lyft. Switch to amazon flex, switch to grub hub, just switch.

There is priority when it comes to garnishing monies. So if your paying child support they come first. Then I think IRS and franchise tax board. Then creditors can have their piece. I don't believe they can take more than half of $500 a week. After $500 it's a percentage.

I believe only one garnishment at a time.

Check your credit report and see if they filed the judgment onto your credit report. If they didn't file it on your credit report they most likely aren't going to continue to keep coming after you.

On your credit report, experian is a good one. Change your occupation to self-employed. Don't list an employer. If you list an employer they know where to go to garnish your wage

Take all of your money out of the bank daily. Before the bank opens up. Take it out of the ATM. If it is more than an ATM will dispense. Goto the bank as soon as they open and pull the money. Don't leave any money in the bank.

When they lien an account with a bank. They lean all the accounts at that bank. They aren't just going to take the money from a checking account and leave savings alone. They'll drain all accounts. But he first $90 goes to chase for a legal order processing fee.

What you want is for them to get nothing when they lien an account. This will make them think your account is not with this bank and they'll look other places.

Most will get tired of trying to find you.

Last edited:

onionhead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's around $2,600. Totally doable but I refuse to willingly pay. How will they ever learn not to give free money (credit cards) to a scumbag like me? Plus this is just one of possibly more judgements against me coming in the near future. I believe I have about 4 maxed out cards in the process of being turned over into collections which will lead to more threats to garnish. I believe if I continue leading this mediocre life of an Uber driver it will be alright. And I'm ok with that. Just look at my avatar.

Pig Pen

I think it's around $2,600. Totally doable but I refuse to willingly pay. How will they ever learn not to give free money (credit cards) to a scumbag like me? Plus this is just one of possibly more judgements against me coming in the near future. I believe I have about 4 maxed out cards in the process of being turned over into collections which will lead to more threats to garnish. I believe if I continue leading this mediocre life of an Uber driver it will be alright. And I'm ok with that. Just look at my avatar.
Haha. $2600 isn't crap. Who the hell sues for $2600? Ambulance chaser.

I have a judgment against me in Texas. It was for $1800. Ignorant people. Never got served. They lied to the court about what I owed and got a judgment for $4700.

Here's the kicker. Dumb asses sent me an email with the judgment from some crack pot Texas judge, sorry not judge, it said magistrate on it. Looked like someone typed it on a typewriter.

Told them, Texas law isn't enforceable in California. Shove it up your ass. Get yourself legal counsel that can practice law in California and try again.

I received one more email from them threatening me. Ignored it. They went away.

But $2600, you have got to be kidding me. I wouldn't pay that shit. It will cost them more to collect it than its worth. Change your phone number. Get a po box and change your address to the PO box. If they're going to get the money from you, make them work for it.

It's weird. Credit cards normally just write off the debt. They don't sue you over it. They will charge it off and I believe after 7 years it falls off your credit report.

Pig Pen

Dont file BK for 2600. It will cost you more in the long run.

You can go to court and ask to be put on an installment plan. 100 per month or whatever. Its either that or they will come get the money if they think they can.

More peace of mind doing this than hiding and living under the table for the rest of your life
Agree. $2600 not worth BK. But he says there are more. Personally they're just going to go away. Just make sure they don't know who you work for and keep money out of the bank.

Pig Pen

Also, if you are trying to go MIA you can't have a water, power or cable bill in your name. Any utility bill that is in your name they can do a sub-serve on that address as your residency. So register your cell phone bill tonthe po box.

"Is this how u win this war" Dude something tells me you already lost the war. :biggrin:

But you do have the qualities Uber looks for, Broke and Desperate.
This is just one battle. War is still in full force.

TheNoobinator

Wherever you use your SSN for income , they will find it and garnish it!

I know this because my step daughter has a piece of SSHH father who avoids getting a job using his SSN to avoid child support garnishment.

He gets under the table jobs.

Travis -k

I did nothing when presented with a lawsuit about unpaid credit card debt which resulted in them being awarded the legal right to garnish wages and take money from my bank account. My plan is to make less than what I've read is the minimum they are allowed to garnish from (30x the state minimum wage, $10; $300). So I'm thinking if my payouts are regularly around $257, $280/week, I'm untouchable. Also, I'm regularly moving my money from my bank account into a separate savings account which is not connected to my Chase. Is this how u win this war.
Just get an uber atm card make as much ss you want, unless its a huge sum they aint search for you and would have a hard time finding out where you work, also if they do theres away to prevent them from collecting based on the number od dependants you say you have