1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Can a US high school graduate gets scholarship as high as 500k in cash? LOL

Discussion in 'Other' started by imsam, May 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM.

1. imsam

imsam Member

Some family friends of mine posted on facebook about how one of their close friends who's a high school graduate receives a scholarship that's worth 500k US Dollars in cash/cheque.

Is this even real? Possible? lmao lol. I'm happy for the person to receive a scholarship but the news is driving a bunch of people nuts in my community and I really feel someone exaggerated it big time.

It's written clearly as 500k USD in cash/cheque, not the university's credit that she's going to.

2. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes and No. If someone received a "full ride", scholarship including room, board, fees and a reasonable allowance at an expensive private college for 4 years then that might approach $500K US Dollars. However, such a deal would only be offered to a fraction of 1% who had {1} GPA over 4.0 (possible with AP courses), {2} near perfect SAT score, {3} glowing recommendations with lots of community service, and {4} well-documented financial need. The college would publicize the full $500K amount, but she would only receive a small fraction of the $500K each semester for "reasonable allowances" like travel expenses. The remainder would pay for tuition, room, board, and college fees.

3. imsam

imsam Member

So, there's no way the scholarship could've been paid in cash/cheque right?

4. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    who knows? there are many, many scholarships out there... my daughter got a cash one from my wife's work. She was the only one who applied!
    It pays to read the employee manual at times.... that said, it is only a fraction of the amount you mentioned.

5. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    There may have been a publicity presentation by the college of a large display check, but it could not be deposited by the recipient. Most scholarships are handled by the college bursar (or business office). The student receives the remainder after tuition, etc. are paid. However, often smaller scholarship checks by private organizations, like churches, the local Elks club, etc. are given directly to the student.

[​IMG]
    If you know a student about to go to college then look for all local organizations giving scholarships. There is less competition for "smaller" scholarships and no limit to how many applications may be made. Receiving 5 or 10 $1000-scholarships is big money for most people. Most states have good scholarships, too. There's a LOT of money available and you do not necessarily need a great GPA. There are several useful web sites to check out. Ask in your high school guidance department.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 10:40 AM

6. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

Seems to me that if your college costs you half a million dollars you overpaid.

I got my college for free practically... I think I still may have overpaid.

7. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Community Colleges are a great deal, especially if your student is either unmotivated or unsure of their direction or interests. Parents have a few more years to work with their students to find what motivates them, a direction, and interests to pursue. Community colleges gives most of the same prerequisite classes that are mostly transferable to 4-year colleges. Sending far away to college prematurely exposes unprepared, unfocused students to numerous distractions that may lead to skipping classes, poor GPA, and dropping out, which benefits nobody.

TheFixer1 likes this.
  8. TheFixer1

TheFixer1 Well-Known Member

My nephew is getting full scholarship at GW University.

9. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's supposed to be a great school, Congrats :) The Trachtenberg scholarship is worth about a quarter-mil o_O You must have gotten the beauty in the family, since your nephew obviously got the brains ;) Is he planning on joining the GW College Democrats the first day on campus or waiting for their first anti-Trump rally? :p

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM