• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Camry Hybrid - Battery Just Failed

Kick poor Ant in guts

Generally don't do transmission flush until it over 200k but doesn't hurt to do it sooner.
Diff fluid change is important too but always a lot to do on a car.

Takes a lot of labour hours for transmission flush with sealed units as you have to order parts too.
200k waaaayyyyy to long to expect a modern transmission to last between changes - bad idea, get the 200k figure right out of your head. Otherwise you must be joking

Immoralized

200k waaaayyyyy to long to expect a modern transmission to last between changes - bad idea, get the 200k figure right out of your head. Otherwise you must be joking
Nah always do it after 200k and haven't had one car with a transmission failure yet. You are forgetting that I have a lot of vehicles over 200k atm. My last vehicle I got a full transmission service was at 295 000km which was too long as the fluid was pretty much black. Otherwise the transmission is still operating fine but probably due in for a rebuild at half a million KM which would most likely end up been $1500 - $2000 job but significantly cheaper then replacing the whole transmission unit.

Some of the more expensive vehicles with the sealed for life automatic transmission fluid kits have a magnet and filter so the magnet actually pulls any small metal fragments from the fluid and the filter traps everything else. However the transmission fluid still breaks down overtime through age/use. For most vehicles I typically don't keep it until it needs a transmission rebuild but for some diesel models that are bought high mileage it is sometimes required to get the most bang 4 the buck. They really only build the transmission to last anywhere from 300k-400k. Parts within the transmission are serviceable in the rebuild otherwise it destroys itself.

Maybe when I start having automatic transmission rebuilds in the 300k ranges I'll do more frequent transmission flushes however never had 1 failure yet. Maybe in the older days with older transmission would be following every 100k or whatever when it was as simple as changing engine oil but now days when it takes half a day sometimes a full labour day to do and complicated it just not worth doing so frequently.

Thing is the more I work on vehicles the less I make. That just how the cookie crumbles. I do agree with you though it should be changed more often but I"m not going to spend the $$ doing it rather do a full rebuild at 400k -500k then do 4-5 transmission services because the 1st option is just cheaper. At some point it going to require a transmission rebuild anyways. I experiment constantly at my cost to see what works and what doesn't work. All at my cost these "experiments" but without them I can't stretch the dollar or parts to their breaking point and seeing what actually possible. I do a lot of data collection myself.

If you think that shocking you'll probably die when I will you my normal service regime is every 50 000km and have been for a long time. Only possible with the best engine oils + addictive package that money can buy in Oz. Never needed an engine rebuild either or have had major engine work done on any of my vehicles. I know a few tricks of the trade of how to get the most bang 4 ur buck since that what I do everyday of the week 364 days of the year. That why I make money off leasing when others can't even keep their vehicle on the road and make any money been owner operator. Difference in a pro and a newbie.

If ur ever in Perth next year you can swing by and we can chat about how to keep vehicles on the road for half a million to a million KM in detail :p It more of an art then science really. Especially when that vehicle is been driven 12 000km to15 000km per month and racks up anywhere from 150 000km to 180 000km in a year. That level of wear & tear is a living hell for any vehicle and they are not designed to be hammered like that.

Last edited:

Kick poor Ant in guts

Nah always do it after 200k and haven't had one car with a transmission failure yet. You are forgetting that I have a lot of vehicles over 200k atm. My last vehicle I got a full transmission service was at 295 000km which was too long as the fluid was pretty much black. Otherwise the transmission is still operating fine but probably due in for a rebuild at half a million KM which would most likely end up been $1500 - $2000 job but significantly cheaper then replacing the whole transmission unit.

Some of the more expensive vehicles with the sealed for life automatic transmission fluid kits have a magnet and filter so the magnet actually pulls any small metal fragments from the fluid and the filter traps everything else. However the transmission fluid still breaks down overtime through age/use. For most vehicles I typically don't keep it until it needs a transmission rebuild but for some diesel models that are bought high mileage it is sometimes required to get the most bang 4 the buck. They really only build the transmission to last anywhere from 300k-400k. Parts within the transmission are serviceable in the rebuild otherwise it destroys itself.

Maybe when I start having automatic transmission rebuilds in the 300k ranges I'll do more frequent transmission flushes however never had 1 failure yet. Maybe in the older days with older transmission would be following every 100k or whatever when it was as simple as changing engine oil but now days when it takes half a day sometimes a full labour day to do and complicated it just not worth doing so frequently.

Thing is the more I work on vehicles the less I make. That just how the cookie crumbles. I do agree with you though it should be changed more often but I"m not going to spend the $$ doing it rather do a full rebuild at 400k -500k then do 4-5 transmission services because the 1st option is just cheaper. At some point it going to require a transmission rebuild anyways. I experiment constantly at my cost to see what works and what doesn't work. All at my cost these "experiments" but without them I can't stretch the dollar or parts to their breaking point and seeing what actually possible. I do a lot of data collection myself.

If you think that shocking you'll probably die when I will you my normal service regime is every 50 000km and have been for a long time. Only possible with the best engine oils + addictive package that money can buy in Oz. Never needed an engine rebuild either or have had major engine work done on any of my vehicles. I know a few tricks of the trade of how to get the most bang 4 ur buck since that what I do everyday of the week 364 days of the year. That why I make money off leasing when others can't even keep their vehicle on the road and make any money been owner operator. Difference in a pro and a newbie.

If ur ever in Perth next year you can swing by and we can chat about how to keep vehicles on the road for half a million to a million KM in detail :p It more of an art then science really. Especially when that vehicle is been driven 12 000km to15 000km per month and racks up anywhere from 150 000km to 180 000km in a year. That level of wear & tear is a living hell for any vehicle and they are not designed to be hammered like that.
Your service interval information is highly unusual- 50,000k per oil change? 200,000 k per transmission fluid change? What sort of oil and additive do you use? Do you look at the oil at 10,000, 20,000ks? I change my oil every 7000ks - I buy it when it’s half price (or even less) and keep it in the shelf for the next changeout, always fully synthetic and always use an engine flush. Like amsoil or liqui moly. I look at my oil regularly and never let it go black. I’m a bit stumped by your notification about long intervals. I respect your depth of knowledge but everything you’ve said goes against everything i myself have learned over the decades servicing my own cars. There are some very high quality lubricants around, most of them American like Royal Purple and Amsoil. It’s like you’re running reliability trials to see how far you can push these lubricants. I’m interested in more information about all this.
Post automatically merged:

I’m about to put this in my FGs ZF 6 speed to address the mild shudders it’s experiencing at the 60 to 80kmh range. I researched it and it’s meant to work great.
349C6C78-E964-46FA-8B98-90F29FB7E975.jpeg

Last edited:

UberDriverAU

Your service interval information is highly unusual- 50,000k per oil change? 200,000 k per transmission fluid change? What sort of oil and additive do you use? Do you look at the oil at 10,000, 20,000ks? I change my oil every 7000ks - I buy it when it’s half price (or even less) and keep it in the shelf for the next changeout, always fully synthetic and always use an engine flush. Like amsoil or liqui moly. I look at my oil regularly and never let it go black. I’m a bit stumped by your notification about long intervals. I respect your depth of knowledge but everything you’ve said goes against everything i myself have learned over the decades servicing my own cars. There are some very high quality lubricants around, most of them American like Royal Purple and Amsoil. It’s like you’re running reliability trials to see how far you can push these lubricants. I’m interested in more information about all this.
As a thought experiment, is it possible that someone could profit from a car being serviced far more frequently than is strictly necessary?

Immoralized

I’m about to put this in my FGs ZF 6 speed to address the mild shudders it’s experiencing at the 60 to 80kmh range. I researched it and it’s meant to work great. View attachment 384779
I've been running 50 000km service individuals with great success. That been the sweet spot and I have tested prior on a single vehicle under myself did 135 000km with a single oil change and found out after 40 000km started to notice a significant decline and probably because of the quality of oil used as the base didn't hold up to the torture test but nevertheless engine was stripped and checked at 265 000km and wear level on a petrol engine was within normal wear tolerances and perfectly cleaned.

Ran like it did before with new oil change and sold it pretty cheap at $2500 as it ages out of rideshare been over a decade. Was prepare to wreck the engine but it just didn't go. Normal wear and tear items required during it life.

Liqui Moly Cera Tec helps extends the engine oil life up to 50 000km and with the high quality oil it could probably go more but don't want to risk it too much but I do push the envelopes quite a bit. You have to run longer service individuals with quality consumables when you are running a fleet of vehicles.

I do my own trails with my own $$$ switch in things that work and switch out things that don't work. Every dollar I can squeeze out of each vehicle is another dollar in my pocket. I do this 24/7 364 days of the year with real vehicles and real world conditions and of course real money on the line so it quite serious for me. I am not looking to make parts last as long as they can as my goal is how economically I can keep parts before switching them out or rebuilding them. The end goal is to turn the most amount of dollars.

In saying that I've never needed to do an engine rebuild or transmission rebuild yet but that usually because I get rid of petrol vehicles <400 000km and for diesel they stay with me a bit longer. Another ball game altogether over >half a million KM since you got to do full suspension rebuilds big money, possibly engine and transmission rebuild around the corner and most of the parts are on borrow time.

Vehicles that usually would require engine/transmission rebuild earlier tend to last a lot longer because it not going through all that heat/cold cycles as it generally stays at operating temperature and for longer and same with the fluids as well when using quality fluids it tend to last quite a long time. No I've never experience oils turning to sludge yet. I do have quite a significant amount of experience running vehicles economically and keeping extremely high mileage vehicles turning over.

If I had to change oil out even at 15 000km service individuals and that would actually mean 8-10 services per year for any 1 vehicle in which case be eating significantly into my profits. So much so it may not be worth doing it at all. Now been able to reduce that ultimately 2 service individuals per year for most vehicles it makes a lot more sense now.

Which what I meant by it more of an art then science keeping high mileage vehicles running and been DOT complaint every year. Margins are everything.

Last edited:

Kick poor Ant in guts

Over servicing - mmmm
Isn’t that what dodgy psychologists do?
I’ve never seen the term linked to automotive maintenance but I’d be eternally grateful if you could enlighten me. Trust me, I’ve been to see my share of shrinks.

UberDriverAU

Over servicing - mmmm
Isn’t that what dodgy psychologists do?
I’ve never seen the term linked to automotive maintenance but I’d be eternally grateful if you could enlighten me. Trust me, I’ve been to see my share of shrinks.
If you serviced your vehicle every 3,500 km, you wouldn't consider that over servicing? You'd double your costs and time spent doing it, but what benefit would you get? It's up to you to decide what adequate servicing looks like in your particular situation, but clearly it's possible to service more often than is required.

Kick poor Ant in guts

If you serviced your vehicle every 3,500 km, you wouldn't consider that over servicing? You'd double your costs and time spent doing it, but what benefit would you get? It's up to you to decide what adequate servicing looks like in your particular situation, but clearly it's possible to service more often than is required.
3500k service? Where did you get that one? Is your butthole talking to you?

Jules66

Has anyone mentioned this?

National Warranty Company (NWC) will refund approximately $4.9 million to 6,367 car warranty customers because its commission incentives breached the prohibition on conflicted remuneration in the Corporations Act 2001. NWC's commissions encouraged sales staff to sell warranties at the highest possible price.

It's from last year though