• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Calling for Uber not in area

bart2puck

I got a ping today for an address in Ashburn. A moment later I get a text:

"Hey, I made a mistake, my address is actually, xyz st in haymarket va. Ill pay you extra if you come get me"
I reply: "where is your destination", she replies "other side of haymarket". i cancel ride.

She wanted me to drive from ashburn to haymarket for a 4$ run no thanks.

It got me thinking, and I realized this was her plan from the start, because I see haymarket not in the coverage area.

Uberest

Good call. When pax calls you, it is really good practice to ask the destination just to avoid similar really unprofitable rides.

Ubermanpt

Some of my best rides have come after shorter rides that put me in the next location to get those pings. As long as you stay consistent and don't take pings over 5 minutes away (unless in suburbs,ect..) it will even out in the long run.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
"Hey, I made a mistake"
No you didn't. You did it intentionally because Uber doesn't service your area. What you did is the very definition of deception. And calling it a mistake is the very definition of lying.

Another Uber Driver

In places where UberX is/was banned from airport pick-ups, and, it actually co-operate/co-operated with authorities and geo-fenced out the airport precincts, the users do/would key in an address near the airport. When the driver accepts/accepted, the user sends/would send a text to the driver telling him "I am at Airline X Arrivals". Some drivers take/took the chance, some do/did not. Eventually, the user gets/got his ride.

This Ashburn/Haymarket gaming strikes me as something similar. I would not have accepted it.

I have been, and have seen too many cab drivers' being burned over this "I will pay you extra" business. Even if they do "pay extra" the amount tends to be paltry. Some will promise even a specific tip amount, only to reneg once the driver delivers to the destination. Even if the driver gets the money before going, he can get burned, still. I knew this driver who had a customer promise him a huge tip to take him somewhere without stopping for more passengers. This was a long trip for no money if you took just one, but, if you took on at least one other passenger, the trip was allright (Obviously, this was under the Zone System). The driver asked for his money, first, and added that the passenger should not ask for a receipt. The passenger agreed, paid the money, the driver took him. Two weeks later, the driver receives a letter "......report with manifests for........". Yup, the customer filed both an overcharging and refusal to render a receipt complaint against the driver. He added the usual about rude and obnoxious driver, dirty, smelly cab and scenic route.......you know the routine. The driver got a thirty day sit-down and a three hundred dollar fine.

You did the smart thing. I would have done the same.

Raider

People have done that to me during surge. They requested a ride outside surge and then text me correct address that is surging. Man these mofos are getting smart, I sniffed if out from the start. I sat idle until they canceled

uberdriver

People have done that to me during surge. They requested a ride outside surge and then text me correct address that is surging. Man these mofos are getting smart, I sniffed if out from the start. I sat idle until they canceled
They may be getting smart, but it sounds like you outsmarted them. Hopefully it took them more than 5 minutes to realize you weren't moving (cancellation fee).

UBERXHOUSTON

Good info.

It has happend to me too during sureges and I have driven long distances to get them and at the
end of the trip they did not tip.