• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Calling contacts/riders with tablet?

How to call contacts/riders with Android tablet using AT&T cellular data plan. The tablet can make calls when in wifi, but can't while driving on cell network? Someone said I could use my phone as hot spot, another said there was an app for this, another said ask this form for help! So help p!ease

Smashup

I don't know how to turn your phone into a hotspot, because often, that changes from phone to phone and from operating system to operating system and even between different versions of the same operating system, and you haven't told us what phone you have or what OS version it is running.

IF you have a phone with cell service, and IF both your phone and tablet are running Android, THEN you may be able to use Tablet Talk: SMS & Texting App which costs $2.99 to make and receive voice calls from your tablet that actually go through your phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apdroid.tabtalk

I have never used that app, so I have no idea how well it works

Alternatively, you can try getting a google voice number and seeing if that works on Uber. It used to for me, then it didn't, but other people at reddit say it still does if set up correctly.

DexNex

How to call contacts/riders with Android tablet using AT&T cellular data plan. The tablet can make calls when in wifi, but can't while driving on cell network? Someone said I could use my phone as hot spot, another said there was an app for this, another said ask this form for help! So help p!ease
Uh, just call them on your phone? Why do you NEED to call from your tablet?

Reactions: JJS

Ballard_Driver

Just use your phone for all Uber/Lyft ride activity, including running their apps and GPS??? I've never understood the need some people feel to use a big ass tablet. I've heard the "But pax can see the route GPS shows then!" argument, and find it wanting. I never have problems with pax and routes. If it's not a painfully obvious route, like I could go Highway 99 or I5, I will just quickly confirm if they have a preference, or if they just want me to take the fastest way. They usually say fastest, if not I go the way they want. Non issue.

As far as needing a big screen for yourself, I find my 5.1 inch or whatever phone screen to be perfectly fine. I guess if you have really bad vision something bigger might be nice... But then maybe you shouldn't be driving professionally anyway at that point! MAYBE if you have a phone with a tiny ass 4 inch screen it would be nice to have something bigger, but then I'd probably just opt to upgrade my phone to something bigger. This is just my personal 2 cents of course, but maybe just use your phone in the first place and you won't have an issue...

JJS

I have a tablet and love the bigger screen. I personally don't give a sh!t what the pax think don't like it cancel the ride and find some other driver. Pretentious people drive me crazy and after 2 years of this it is a very short drive.

To answer your ? You have a phone number that you call that anonamyzes both driver and pssenger. Simply call that number....It will connect with your current. I like K-Pax's approach :rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
No Prisoners Advocacy 27
TemptingFate Stories 55
Mike1606 New York City 10