1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Call someone you don't like an UBER driver, and see what happens.

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Steveyoungerthanmontana, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Man, do you not see the pattern yet? everywhere you go, you are miserable and every single problem is someone else's fault. It is laughable you think your saving grace is bartending. Assuming you get a decent job after completing your useless classes, I can just picture you 3 months from now on some bartending forum complaining about how ****ty everything is in the bars.

Do you not yet see that the common denominator in every scenario is YOU?

Undermensch, Shangsta and Southdiver like this.
  2. The Mollusk

The Mollusk Well-Known Member

I see Uber drivers as people that fell for a scam. Kind of the way you see people going door to door selling Amway, or a dude selling spray wax at a gas station. They were told that they were going to make 99k, but instead settled for $6/hr.

I'm sure it's different in other markets , but driving for .65 a mile to me is the sign of a gullible person. I think most uber drivers suffer from a misunderstanding of basic math.

A class action lawsuit against the nations middle school teachers sounds appropriate to me.

Peanut hello and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  3. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

"You uber driver you!!!!!

TwoFiddyMile and The Mollusk like this.
  4. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Even $6.00 per hour is better then $0.00 per hour. I just did the math. The total number of hours I was logged into Uber and the total amount of money I have made (tips not included), I am making $21.17 per hour. Thats not bad for a part time job.

Undermensch likes this.
  5. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's actually a great point that seems to be missed.

The minimum-wage supporters also miss this point. They would rather have fewer jobs available at a higher wage. It doesn't seem to bother them that so many people are making $0/hour when the minimum wage is artificially jacked up beyond what the market can reasonably support.

I wouldn't recommend ride sharing as a regular full-time job when something better is available. But making "pennies" is certainly better than sitting around and sponging off others.

6. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I don't necessarily factor in $/hr as a measuring stick. I look at it in more of a P&L aspect. For a number of reasons. As I mentioned before, I often leave the app on while sitting at home doing other things. It might be on be 4-5 hours before getting a ping. So if i looked simply at hrs worked (based on uber app) vs money made... it would be skewed terribly low in regards to $/hr. Also, I work mostly late nights... hours that I really wouldn't be using for my "day job" and hours that my family is asleep, so i am not "missing time" with them. I assign those hours as "non-premium" time.. time that I would otherwise be doing nothing other than maybe watching tv or being online. so even if I only made $5.00/hr, that is better than 0.00/hr or perhaps even -$/hr as I might otherwise being out somewhere spending money. I look more at my costs vs what I make, without letting my time be a major factor. Same as I did when I owned my other business.

renbutler likes this.
  7. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    In other words, you are self-employed.

No serious business owner/operator would measure income in $/hour. It's all about profit. Only people with the mindset of an hourly employee looks at $/hour.

BostonTaxiDriver and jp300h like this.
  8. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    BTW, I like your quote "Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength -- Eric Hoffer" It is ironically very topical in regards to the OP.

Undermensch likes this.
  9. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I never turn down stupid vouchers, they are often the difference between losing and making money. I go where other cabs arent. I get at least 3 phoned in compliments per week to dispatch.
    I make myself indespensible to dispatch.

The Mollusk likes this.
  10. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

This right here nails it. Most people either make Uber work for them or they quit and find something better. Then there are people like Steve who cant do either.

11. The Mollusk

That's not always the case. There are plenty of times where $0/hr is better than $6/hr. It boils down to one concept; opportunity cost.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to beat that monster corporation is to Uber as little as you can during the busiest hour(s).

12. The Mollusk

Spot on, my friend. Spot on. I kinda don't want you to let out the secret.

13. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this one. And as I mentioned to someone else: If you don't like Uber; simply don't open the app anymore. I, for one, am happy that Uber has given me the opportunity to make some extra money with a grand total of $35.00 (vehicle inspection) out of pocket.

14. 123dragon

123dragon Member

Bartending is not easy unless you do TGI Fridays or some other lame chain but you make no money. Bartending is pretty difficult to get into in major cities. If he's bartending in LA he's probably making decent money. It actually has progression unlike Uber. You need to spend a year or two as a bar back or if it's a restaurant, a server. It takes a while to learn to make the 1000 different drinks/shots well people will ask for plus you either need to have a reputation as a bartender or earn the owners trust. Bartenders have to sell, you usually get 100 dollars of credit to comp people to get them to buy more drinks. This is not limited to speakeasys and restaurants, sports bar are no different its not just popping beers.

Undermensch and BostonTaxiDriver like this.
  15. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

I think you meant Taxi driver. I love to Uber and my riders love me. They hate taxi drivers though, with a passion.

renbutler and BostonTaxiDriver like this.
  16. RamzFanz

Ahhhh, now I see why all the hate. You thought this would be easy and you suck at it.

I'll take my $20+ an hour net, free time whenever I choose, and the praise of my passengers. You can wallow in your ineptness.

Undermensch likes this.
  17. Steveyoungerthanmontana

Steveyoungerthanmontana Well-Known Member

Obviously they don't like you too much or they'd pay you same or at least minimum wage.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  18. RamzFanz

Na, $20+ an hour net, is more than fair for a gig.

19. Steveyoungerthanmontana

Steveyoungerthanmontana Well-Known Member

Well your not supposed to sell your body with a ride, which is what I assume your doing if you are netting 20.

TwoFiddyMile and TheWanderer like this.
  20. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Reiser LLC pays him to shill Uber and SDC propaganda. $20 is pretty cheap to be Tokyo Rose.

Lowestformofwit likes this.