1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

California supreme court ruling could change everything...

Discussion in 'Flex' started by DeathByFlex, May 1, 2018.

1. DeathByFlex

DeathByFlex Active Member

From the article:

"In a big win for labor advocates, the California supreme court on Monday limited businesses from classifying workers as independent contractors who cannot receive key employment protections."​

This ruling could mean that Flex drivers are no longer independent contractors, but rather employees. It could also cause Amazon to reconsider if Flex is worth continuing in its current form.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...california-gig-economy-ruling-dynamex-workers

Frœsty likes this.
  2. Bygosh

Bygosh Active Member

People are blowing this way out of proportion and are simply just not informed on all the issues.

The most important thing to consider is the arbitration agreement that every gig job has. This Summer the Supreme Court will likely rule that they are valid. Which means no class actions, meaning each case would have to be brought up individually outside the court system.

Then there is the fact that uber, Amazon etc could simply require you to setup your own business through the IRS. Takes about 5 mins online and boom bye bye CA law.

Worst case scenario (and I don't see this as likely) is all the gig companies just pull out of CA.

The real reason any state enacts laws like this is not because they give a **** about the workers it's simply the PAYROLL TAXES that they are not getting.

Also hope that everyone realizes you would make way way less money as an employee vs being a contractor. Sure you would get a few benefits but is that worth a 50% pay cut and losing the ability to choose when you work...

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. CatchyMusicLover

CatchyMusicLover Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I dunno why people always assume "employee" means you wouldn't ever be able to choose when you work. That's emphatically false. It's usually true, but not always.

Frœsty, DeathByFlex and grams777 like this.
  4. nighthawk398

nighthawk398 Well-Known Member

As far as taxes go I think the IRS would consider us employees rather than independent contractors if they could I guess we'll see what happens

5. cvflexer

cvflexer Member

Tell your employer that you will not be in for work for at least 3 weeks because you feel like it. See if you are still employed after that.

When you are employed by someone, you are supposed to be there. Yes you may have some PTO or other benefits, but you have to be back there as soon as you run out of yhat. As an IC you only HAVE to be there for the CONTRACTED time and then it is up to you whether you want to be there again or not

Bygosh likes this.
  6. CatchyMusicLover

Driving:
    UberX
    No, you're missing the point completely. The point is that it's not an /inherent trait/ of being an employee that you have to work when they tell you. There are jobs that exist where you get paid and taxed via a W2 where you can in some fashion set your own scheduale. I've worked two such a jobs in fact (been doing one for 9 years now....not that many hours a week but I don't have to work at all and can mix it up). Uber likes to tout out the myth but there's no reason they couldn't pay drivers as employees and keep the very same 'turn app on and off when you want' setup. Same with Flex.
    Sure, MOST jobs aren't like that. I'm sure everyone would agree. But not all.

grams777 likes this.
  7. cvflexer

cvflexer Member

;)Ok. Everyone should go tell their employer that you will only work whenever you feel like it.

8. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

One problem is there are usually costs for having an employee on the books whether they work or not. It can be for insurance, payroll, benefits or other costs. So generally once you’re an employee, the employer needs the amount of work you do to be worthwhile.

This can also be true as a contractor. In many places, if you stop accepting most or all the work offered to you they will stop offering you any work. I was a contractor for several limo and delivery type services. While there was some flexibility in hours, they all pretty much expected you to do a certain number of shifts or jobs that they needed each week. If you didn’t, you’re done. So a contractor perhaps gains some flexibility but it’s normally not even like these gig jobs.

And the gig jobs aren’t completely flexible either. While it’s true that you can be available to drive or open for shifts whenever you want, there may not be much or anything for you to do. It’s still got to coincide with what the demand is.

I can decide I’m going to drive for flex or Uber on mon- fri from 8am to 4pm. But I may just find myself tapping in vain for blocks or waiting for trips the whole time.

The other thing is even if the jobs did become employees, it’s not like every driver would now be an employee. It would be far too cost prohibitive to have so many employees on the books. What would happen is probably 95% of the contractors would be discontinued. Then a much smaller full time and perhaps some part time force would take their place. This would be similar to how the white vans work now.

9. CatchyMusicLover

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow, can you really not read or are you just trolling?

10. Frœsty

Frœsty Active Member

I started having similar, less well-constructed, thoughts about this myself.

I am starting to see a very nasty constellation of points on the horizon. Thank gosh I did the vans before.

grams777 likes this.
  11. Cynergie

Cynergie Well-Known Member

Either Amazon accepts this ruling, takes on the 100k+ independent PT Flex drivers as employees--- and lose billions in future profit/astronomical growth in the process

Or

Amazon fights the ruling, fires all it's Mom & Pop Flex/Prime delivery drivers. Recategorize it's white van fleet as full time employees or keep them as they are independent contractors (best case financially).

Either way, Besos is going to put the Amazon logo/brand on these white vans just before he anhilates FedEx, DHL, UPS for the cockroaches it views them to be.

Regardless, the Flex gig appears to have run it's course. The cost of recategorizing us Flex as employees is too great an overhead cost for Amazon to bear long term.

This ruling has grave operational impacts for LyfUber as well

12. oicu812

oicu812 Well-Known Member

Nothing to recategorize for white van drivers. They are already employees of the companies that contract for Amazon. They get a paycheck from the company that hired them and not from Amazon. They are offered health coverage after so many days and maybe even 401k.

grams777 likes this.
  13. Bygosh

Bygosh Active Member

If I only read sensationalized headlines I would come to this conclusion as well. You should really research things before you go talking about things that you clearly only have a very basic understanding of.

14. Frœsty

Frœsty Active Member

Care to elaborate? I would love some good news.

15. cvflexer

cvflexer Member

There is a thing called the Internet where a thing called Google exists and yo can find out for yourself.

16. Frœsty

Frœsty Active Member

Know it. And did. Thanks for posting, though...

17. Cynergie

Cynergie Well-Known Member

You just validated my earlier comment. I said the best case scenario financially is for Amazon to leave their white van operators as they currently are: as indpendent contractors. The only difference is putting the Amazon logo on the sides of those vans for branding/marketing/advertising purposes. Exactly the way Fed Ex & UPS work.

And yes what you said is true, particularly the benefits. As a former white van driver I can definitely attest to that.

18. KTMRacer

KTMRacer New Member

We still have a gig with Amazon Flex and probably will for a few years to come. It will be up to attorneys and our judicial system to decide if Amazon Flex falls into this new ruling. Amazon doesn't deliver their packages, as it's not part of their companies services to do deliveries. That's why we can as independent contractors. UPS is a delivery service, so they cannot hire independent contractors to deliver packages. Again the courts may decide otherwise! I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon comes up with new guidelines and rules we must agree to and "sign."

cvflexer likes this.
  19. cvflexer

cvflexer Member

This is why this new CA Supreme Court ruling affects Uber and Lyft, not Amazon for now

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  20. oicu812

oicu812 Well-Known Member

White van drivers are NOT independent contractors. As for branding, drivers are already wary of being followed like UPS drivers by thieves. Drivers do not want more scrutiny. They would rather advertise for Enterprise or UHAUL.