1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

California man suing Uber, driver after losing both legs due to 'crushing injuries'

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Apr 11, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    [​IMG]
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/1...osing-both-legs-due-to-crushing-injuries.html

A 23-year-old California man is suing Uber after losing both of his legs in a traffic accident that allegedly happened while he helping one of their drivers push his stalled vehicle off a highway.

Brendan Brock was in the middle of a trip with the ride-sharing company on March 7 when the Jeep driven by Gregory Raymond Lopez ran out of gas on a freeway in Orange County, a lawsuit filed this week stated.

The lawsuit says Lopez stopped in the middle of one of the lanes and Brock was struck by another driver who lost control of his vehicle while Brock was trying to help Lopez get the Jeep off the road, FOX11 reported.

"Both of plaintiff's legs required amputation due to the severity of the crushing injuries," the lawsuit says, naming Uber, Lopez and the other driver among the defendants.

The station reported the law firm hired by Brock is hoping to get $25 to $50 million from Uber in the case, although the lawsuit says he is seeking unspecified damages.

Brock, in the court filing, accused Lopez of being unfit to operate his Uber vehicle and putting Brock "in a position to be hit by a car.''

Brock has since moved back home with his parents and is receiving daily care from them, FOX11 reported.

Uber said it was not commenting on the lawsuit. But in the past, the company has considered its drivers as independent contractors and stated Uber is not responsible beyond a $1 million insurance policy it offers.

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Active Member

This is why you need a dashcam. You need to insist that they do not exit the vehicle on the freeway short of physically restraining them.

3. BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    This is why you don't do this gig. This driver is screwed. Uber's insurance is insufficient. You're open to great financial loss. Also noted, the million dollar coverage is divided equally to all involved. You're not paid enough to be open to such hardship that will last forever. 99% of drivers don't know the real risk.

4. wicked

wicked Active Member

My State Farm with Umbrella covers up to 1,100,000 which would have been insufficient in a case like this lol.

grams777, tohunt4me and Rakos like this.
  5. 2Cents

2Cents Well-Known Member

What about the person who lost control causing injury?

6. BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    You're $49,900,000 short of damages he's seeking. He'll go through a million a year with therapy, future surgery and daily care.

7. 2Cents

2Cents Well-Known Member

Fùbr is not taking the leash on that one.

8. HotUberMess

HotUberMess Well-Known Member

Also you need to put gas in your car or it won’t go.

I can’t see Uber or the driver winning this one. The driver’s a total moron and Uber hired him, so.. jury’s going to agree with plaintiff on this one for sure, even though pax did exit the vehicle.

wicked and tohunt4me like this.
  9. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

The COURT will DETERMINE the Extent of Ubers Responsibility !

Both Legs !
    !1 Million will not cut it for duch a young man with his Entire Future ahead of him . . . .RUINED !

Save up Uber!

Especially the " part Timers"
    " side Hustling" extra Liabilities !

Uber wont have a choice.

The COURT OF LAW DECIDES !

tootsie and HotUberMess like this.
  10. NUBER-LE

NUBER-LE Well-Known Member

50 million he will not get. He will need to prove he's at a lose for that money, what were his skills and job. He can ask for a fluffy unicorm, but doesn't mean he will get it. The man went outside of the car on his own. Accidents happen, he's just wanting money. Go after the driver that hit him.

11. tohunt4me

He was planning to attend Harvard Med School to become a Unicorn Docter for Greenpeace.

The CAR should have NEVER broke down.

TheDriver shpuld have been at Least skillfull enough to SAFELY GUIDE THE CAR TO THE SHOULDER COASTING UNDER ITS OWN POWER !

" LOWER RATES MEAN MORE LEGROOM "!

mrpjfresh, HotUberMess, Iann and 2 others like this.
  12. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    The moral of the story?

Don't let your tank go under half...

Uber Crack, HotUberMess and tohunt4me like this.
  13. tohunt4me

Dont work for a company that uses YOUR STUFF without compensating for replacement value !

14. NUBER-LE

NUBER-LE Well-Known Member

Moral is passengers are liable for their own actions.

tohunt4me likes this.
  15. tohunt4me

Im not totally buying that one.
    Passenger tried to help.
    It Really should have never happened.
    Car should have functioned properly.

HotUberMess likes this.
  16. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    So Lopez couldn't feel lose of power at freeway speeds when he ran out of gas and coasted to the shoulder or an exit? Homeboy probably freaked out and hit the brakes. What a moron "stopped in the middle of one of the lanes" of an LA freeway. That sounds like rookie driving to me. Brendan got the service he paid for. And that wasn't too bright of Brendan to help push a stalled vehicle off of a LA freeway. Almost reminds me of a recruit looking down the barrel of a rifle. It appeared that neither Gregory or Brendan were smarter than the freeway. In these situations always look for a safe place to coast and stop your vehicle when surrounding traffic is traveling at highway speeds.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  17. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

For all of you saying that the driver is at fault, let me ask you a question.

You are giving an acquaintance a ride and your car breaks down and you don't have time to get to either side of the freeway. Your acquaintance gets out and tries to help you push your car and he gets it and loses both legs. Are you saying you're liable for his $2 million dollars of medical care ?

18. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    I don't have acquaintances that dumb to attempt to push a disabled vehicle from a travel lane on a LA freeway. Idiot driver is at fault for not keeping enough fuel in his tank at all times during fare for hire driving and Brendan is at fault for not thinking as a reasonable and prudent human being. A 200 lb man is no match for a 5000 lb vehicle traveling at highway speeds.

Rules for a disabled vehicle on a freeway.

1) Always stand at least 30' before the traffic flow of your disabled vehicle. A stationary vehicle that gets hit by another vehicle will move forward.

2) Stand on the opposite side of a barrier from traffic flow if possible.

3) Do not retrieve objects from your vehicle that is disabled in a traffic lane.

grams777 and Uber Crack like this.
  19. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

You missed the part of the story where it said the car was stuck in the middle of the freeway. Should they teleport away from the car ? Perhaps a helicopter should land and pick them up ? When traffic stops, of course the average person is going to try to get the car off the road. This is normal.

20. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery

Then what the hell does this mean?
    I'm sure "a disabled vehicle from a travel lane on a LA freeway" is the same as "the car was stuck in the middle of the freeway".

I think you missed the part of school when reading comprehension was taught.

Obviously traffic didn't stop because Brendan is missing both of his legs. You really going to trust that all the drivers on a 6 lane LA freeway are going to stop? Good luck with that one.

tohunt4me likes this.