California Fair Car Rental

PAXATTAX

Hi guys. Just wanted to post my experiences with the Fair/Uber program in San Diego, CA.

I've been driving my car into the ground (2015 Honda Civic) so I started looking into alternatives. The premise of this program certainly fit the bill but getting to the point I'm at now hasn't been a bed of roses. Let me explain...

2 weeks ago I signed up for the program. The app says first come first served and I had a few questions so I opened up the chat support through the app and asked when I should get there. The representative said people start lining up at 8am because they open at 10:30am. I said ok fine. Got my happy ass up and hitched a ride up to the station in Miramar all the way from Spring Valley. When I got there all there was were crickets.

At about 9:30am one of the lot guys show up and says they won't have cars until next week. They are having trouble because the lot is new and the DMV is sending only 3-6 license plates a day. Ok no biggie but I had to get home so he ordered me an Uber to get home. Later I came to find out if you call the Fair Concierge hotline they will send an Uber to pick you up and drop you off for the Fair vehicle.

A week went by and I received a call from the Fair Concierge. He asked if I wanted to be added to the waiting list or cancel my order. I asked to be added to the waiting list. After hanging up I decided to fire up the app and it showed there were 2 cars available, and then I looked again at 12:00pm and there were 7 cars available! I thought, this must mean people are returning cars and it's first come first served so maybe I should just go in the morning.

I got up early and did a few rides and eventually made my way up there by 9:30am and they were in there detailing cars! I made myself known to the attendant and he kind of begrudgingly muttered "we don't open until 10:30" but the lot representative was also there and was much more friendly. He said to come back by noon and there should be some cars available. I was already parked out in back of the building and just figured I'd take a cat nap and wait it out.

Around 11:15 rolls around and I decided to pop out and take a look. I look through the ware house to the front doors and see there is a podium with a list and a line at it. That's when I realized I screwed up. I should have been the first person at that podium with my name on the list. However I wasn't totally screwed because the lot rep remembered me and added me to the top of the list. I think it kind of pissed off a few people but oh well. I was there early as hell.

2 guys ahead of me got a Ford sedan. Wasn't a bad looking vehicle for a Ford. Next guy got a Kia Soul. It matched his hipster hat. Then the lot rep turned to me and said "You're getting that one!" 2017 Jeep Renegade. HELL YEAH!!! It gets almost the same gas mileage as my 15 Civic. I left my car there and took the Jeep home. Then I called the Fair Concierge and arranged an Uber to take me back to the lot so I can pick up my car. I scheduled the ride for 6:30pm and they sent me a text and all I had to do was click on the radio button to let them know I was ready for pickup. Uber'd up to get my car. Easy peezy.

Now this is where things get a little sticky. This was on a Friday and we all know how things tend to lag over the weekend. Fair is supposed to send your vehicle information to uber, you don't add the vehicle yourself. You have to give consent by going to one of the t.uber/ portals so Fair can pass on the information to Uber. I called every single day until Monday before it was added to the vehicles section of my drivers account. Making these calls were beneficial as the representative gave me a $25 giftcard for the fuel and another $60 to help cover the cost of the rental over the weekend. I'm not even mad.

Monday morning came and they'd added the Jeep to the vehicle section of my account. Alas, Ubers promotion didn't show up in my app until Tuesday. I drove all day Monday and got 17 rides but it didn't count towards the promotion. After looking at the promotion I then realize it says "$159 extra by completing 60 trips" and "$261 extra by completing 103 trips." The promotion should be "Drive 70 trips/wk. Earn $185 With Uber." I think because I received the promotion on Tuesday instead of Monday this is their way of "prorating" the promotion. I hope I'm not wrong. We will see by next week.

A few things I'd like to touch on about the Jeep. First, it came with half a tank of gas. When you return the vehicle it needs over a quarter tank or you will be charged 30%. You are allowed 7 vehicle maintenance's a year. They give you a phone number for the Fair Maintenance department and when you take the vehicle to Pep Boys (Amco) or Jiffy Lube then the repair shop calls Fair to authorize the fleet vehicle for maintenance. 2 days into having the vehicle the oil change message appeared on my dash. Also, the vehicle has 50k+ miles on it and is in need of a brake job. I have the Jeep in the shop right now so that just killed another half a day assuming I get it back this afternoon.

So far this has been a positive experience regardless of the hiccups. Once things are flowing as they should be I'm sure by Monday I will be back to my regular routine. Happy Ubering!

CJfrom619

I had almost the same experience as you but mine went a little smoother. I showed up two days in a row so i can get the rental car but then took a week for them to send the vehicle info into Uber. I lost out on a week worth of driving but they did give me $150 visa card to help cover the rental fee. Ive had the car for about month and a half and its been working out great.

DirtyRead

Yeah everybody went through the same thing. I finally got my car. I didn't like the B.S. I went through to get but I haven't had any problems since having it. Outside of the first payment and the deposit I haven't had to pay anything but the tax each week. Half a tank of gas dude you got lucky. As for the rotation mine has always been $180 for 70 and $305 for 120. Only my dumb ass thought it was two separate payments for a total of $485 but $305 at bad. Sure makes those back to back to back shorties a lot less painful.
Post automatically merged:

Do y'all know if a pool is counted as one ride or is each drop off considered a separate ride. I keep forgetting to to check it myself and by the time I am done driving I too brunt.

PAXATTAX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update: As of an hour ago the vehicle started making squealing sounds as I went into reverse to back out of the parking space. When I was driving up to my house less than a mile away it started to squeal. I had the maintenance done a few days after I picked up the vehicle so this is definitely not my fault.

I'm just a shade tree mechanic but it sounds like the transmission hadn't been flushed.

I'm pissed off because I need to be at school tomorrow and I need to work afterwards. I'm waiting for Fair to answer the phone.

BTW: The trick to call Fair directly is to go in the call options and select the return car option. Everything else will result in a unknown error within the app.

PAXATTAX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
*sigh*

It was a rock stuck between the brake pad making that terrible noise.

I was on hold with support for the better part of an hour today trying to work things out. The drive train is covered under warranty up to 60k miles but it's a front-wheel drive vehicle and there is nothing in the rear that is covered under that warranty. While I was at Carl Burger Dodge Jeep in La Mesa the fleet rep was listening as I was talking to the guys at Donnely insurance and the guy on the phone suggested I go other places because the dealership won't fix it right away. The rep at the dealership was like "No brother, we will fix that right now!" and the guy on the phone said 'Ok good!'

The rep at the dealership suggested whenever I have a problem with the car just say "Donnelly Insurance for Fleet" and they will fix it right away, no questions asked. Live and learn I suppose. In the future at least I know I can just bring it there from now on without spending tons of time on the phone with the Fair Concierge.

I hope this helps somebody in the future.

DirtyRead

So, is it that you get paid for those rides AND you get your rental fee covered....or just the fee covered?
I get paid for all my rides just like normal. In addition if I drive 70 rides in one week I get $185 bonus if I do 50 more rides I get an additional $120. So I get paid for all my fares and a bonus of $305 for 120 rides in a week.

The 120 rides bonus takes a lot of the frustration out of shorties and pool rides.I usually hit the first tier by the start or just after the start of day each Wednesday. I have hit the second tier each week as well. Usually before Sunday. However that is the only promo I am able to receive.

the total for the week with tax is $199 so I still pay the tax.

Last edited:

UberLAguy

I like this option. This is nice but you don't get to have tax deduction by standard miles, which is a bummer.

Can you choose the car you want or do you have to take whatever they give to you ?

Last edited:

CJfrom619

I like this option. This is nice but you don't get to have tax deduction by standard miles, which is a bummer.

Can you choose the car you want or do you have to take whatever they give to you ?
To be honest I’m not sure of the process since its been 3 months since I got the car. Im almost positive that you sign up then they contact you within 2-5 days after they have a vehicle for you. I don’t think you can choose between vehicles though. They will just give you one. All the vehicles are very nice. Whats your concern about the car or do you just want to get one specifically. FYI they will order you an Uber to pick the car up so you don’t need a ride there just contact the company.

CJfrom619

I mean if I want a hybrid car of 40 MPG and they give me one that is 20MPG, that is bummer .
Ah i see what your saying. The models that i see them having are normally around they same. I didnt see any hybrids available even when we could pick our vehicles.

If i was picking up a car I would expect something like a Nissan Altima- Sentra. Sonata. Kia Soul. Something along those lines.

Talcire

Looks like a better deal than Lyft's $240/ week with taxes. They pay less per minute and mile and cut those rates recently, in the middle of everyone's week. Scummy move on Lyft's part. Lyft/ Hertz did not offer a choice of car (I got an Altima while my personal car was in the shop). @PAXATTAX were you able to use the cash out feature?