• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

California contractor law doesn't apply, says Uber

Michael - Cleveland

Sep. 11, 2019 5:01 PM ET|About: Uber Technologies, Inc. (UBER)|By: Brandy Betz, SA News Editor

• Uber (NYSE:UBER) CLO Tony West says the company won't treat contractors as employees under the newly approved California bill.
  • West says Uber's business is "serving as a technology platform for several different types of digital marketplaces" and not providing rides, which means drivers aren't a core part of the business and can remain independent when the law goes into effect in January.
  • West also notes that Uber is "no stranger to legal battles."

SuperDumped

is that why it was originally called ubercab?

is that why they take 50-90% of fares? if its not a cab company all it should take is a connection or finders fee which is generally 10%

why do they care about drivers routes? that should be none of their business if their just a digital marketplace

they can claim all they want, when the governor signs it on jan 1st theyll be fined $1000 per day per driver half of fine goes to driver or they will submit and start paying legal wages and follow regulations per the passed law

they need to start throwing execs in jail i have a feeling theyd rather pay $1000 fine per driver per day than pay drivers legal wages

Last edited:

Cold Fusion

Of course they will fight this. and lose.
Of course they will fight this. and lose.”

the unbiased objective Uber driver opinion ✔ 😂🤣
Post automatically merged:

is that why they take 50-90% of fares? if its not a cab company all it should take is a connection or finders fee which is generally 10%

why do they care about drivers routes? that should be none of their business if their just a digital marketplace

they can claim all they want, when the governor signs it on jan 1st theyll be fined $1000 per day per driver half of fine goes to driver or they will submit and start paying legal wages and follow regulations per the passed law

they need to start throwing execs in jail i have a feeling theyd rather pay $1000 fine per driver per day than pay drivers legal wages
Corporations look 10, 20 years down the road
As far as Uber is concerned Drivers ain’t part of their future or business model.

As u guessed, I’m not as smart as u guys, but this could go all the way to the US Supreme Court.

Khosrowshahi & Kalanick will drink Drano be4 giving drivers anything
........Other than the boot 🥾

Last edited:

Grokit

Doesn’t anyone remember what happened in Alaska, Oregon, and Austin, Texas?

When Uber/Lyft lost the legislative battles over worker status, they left the states/city. They play hardball all over the world and are not going to bend over for California.

Come Jan 1st 2020, if no settlement has been reached, both Lyft and Uber will cease operations in CA.

Lessthanminimum

And new RideShare companies will fill the void just like they did when LyUber pulled out of Austin. California will not hurt if LyUber leaves, and no way in hell will LyUber give up on the world's 5th largest economy.
Bingo! CA is too big for them to just walk away. What will investors think of Uber/Lyft if they walk away from this huge market? It shows weakness to investors/stock holders not strength.

Bob Reynolds

Uber and Lyft can claim that AB5 doesn't apply to them. The local district attorneys will get an injunction ordering them to comply. If they don't comply then the local district attorney and the attorney general will go after and seize the personal assets of the Uber and Lyft officers in order to pay the drivers. There will be no mercy. So if the Uber and Lyft corporate officers want to play they will pay personally.

The more these clowns say they aren't going to comply--the worse it will be for them.

AvisDeene

Uber and Lyft can claim that AB5 doesn't apply to them. The local district attorneys will get an injunction ordering them to comply. If they don't comply then the local district attorney and the attorney general will go after and seize the personal assets of the Uber and Lyft officers in order to pay the drivers. There will be no mercy. So if the Uber and Lyft corporate officers want to play they will pay personally.

The more these clowns say they aren't going to comply--the worse it will be for them.
I hope it ends up like that, maybe even some jail time for the CEO (doubt it)?

Another Uber Driver

If anyone anywhere on these boards is aware of a day when Uber thought that any law applied to it, please let me know on what day that occurred.

Of course they will fight this. and lose.until they find the right people to pay off

FIFY

jail time for the CEO

1568258619523.png

Let him see how it feels.

The Gift of Fish

People gone cray cray. Women can say they're men and women can say they're men and be recognised as such. Uberlyft can say it's not affected by the law and it doesn't apply to them. The 21st is going to go down as the century of the bullshitter.

As already stated, I'm going to claim that I am actually a panda bear that was species misclassified at birth. As an endangered animal I am entitled to free food and lodging for life. Pay up, Donald.

kevin92009

Sep. 11, 2019 5:01 PM ET|About: Uber Technologies, Inc. (UBER)|By: Brandy Betz, SA News Editor

• Uber (NYSE:UBER) CLO Tony West says the company won't treat contractors as employees under the newly approved California bill.
  • West says Uber's business is "serving as a technology platform for several different types of digital marketplaces" and not providing rides, which means drivers aren't a core part of the business and can remain independent when the law goes into effect in January.
  • West also notes that Uber is "no stranger to legal battles."
Burn baby burn and I hope those punks go bankrupt enough with the lies enough with the deceit enough of twisting things to suit their way and to screw everyone else, I hope they do put up resistance and I hope they get fined heavily or put in jail , They need to know that they don’t get to be exempt and do whatever they want there’s laws that need to be followed and they don’t deserve to get special treatment

People gone cray cray. Women can say they're men and women can say they're men and be recognised as such. Uberlyft can say it's not affected by the law and it doesn't apply to them. The 21st is going to go down as the century of the bullshitter.

As already stated, I'm going to claim that I am actually a panda bear that was species misclassified at birth. As an endangered animal I am entitled to free food and lodging for life. Pay up, Donald.
I am a panda too :smiles:

Straight up disrespectful

“drivers are not core to our business”

Straight up fcked up.

Just like the employees they recently fired worldwide 85% from the usa

I guess they wasn’t core to the Uber business.
Uber has no respect for anyone else the only respect they have is for their own corporate wallets

Uber and Lyft will just ultimately say you know what you California you no more Uber/Lyft.
Good let those punks leave let a better company fill the void

white-collar criminals don’t go to jail only blue-collar criminals go to jail white-collar criminals just pay fines with company proceeds it’s Why corporate criminals know they could get away with things in this country

Last edited: