Cabs jump on Bandwagon, Arro e-hail apps to ramp up competition with Uber Tweet email

KevinH

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ro-e-hail-apps-compete-uber-article-1.2719290

Cabbies jump at taxi carpool e-hail apps including Bandwagon and Arro to increase the competition with Uber drivers.
(THEODORE PARISIENNE/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
DAN RIVOLI
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 7:51 PM

Cabs are jumping into carpool service to compete with Uber and other e-hail apps.

By the end of the year, passengers using the cab e-hail app Arro can book carpool trips to split fares in 8,000 yellow and green taxis, the company announced Wednesday.

Arro teamed up with a taxi carpool app Bandwagon to link up passengers headed the same way and handle fare splitting. Bandwagon had been testing its carpool technology at LaGuardia and John F. Kennedy airports since May 2015, and will expand to Newark Airport this fall.

Bandwagon estimates that passengers save up to 30% by sharing rides.

Transit advocates, officials rally for better bus service in NYC

David Mahfouda of Bandwagon has been working with Arro to develop a cab sharing app for mobile devices.
(TODD MAISEL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
“I’m convinced that carpooling is the future of how people will be getting around cities,” said David Mahfouda, who founded Bandwagon. “What we’re doing with our relationship with Arro is really bringing taxis up to speed and giving them the competitive edge to compete with UberPool and Lyft Line.”

Booking a carpool trip off Arro will be free, though a fee could be added after the citywide launch. Booking the trip off Bandwagon, however, will come with a fare-based fee, but just how much has not been determined, according to the company.

In the pre-app age, taxi officials tried unsuccessfully to get cab riders to double up, cutting down on congestion.

Arro offers an alternative to taxis and Uber.
Arro founder Mike Epley said app technology makes the process seamless and easy, compared to the old way when people on a taxi line would ask around until they found someone headed the same way and willing to split the fare.

Ride-sharing apps in NYC—which one is cheaper, most convenient

“Now, you tap a couple of buttons, you have a smart algorithm and there’s your answer,” he said. “All the friction has been taken out of it.”

Tags:

UBER

N

BostonTaxiDriver

We have the Arro app in some Boston cabs. Some of the taxi tops have a lighted Arro app advertisement..

But I think it could be too late; most millenials have made up their minds and won't get in cabs.

Another Uber Driver

most millenials have made up their minds and won't get in cabs.

They will, here. Convenience is still the ruling factor, here, in people's transportation choices. The street hails that I receive who cancel or stop in mid-order for Uber once they see my cab are many and span the age groups, from middle-aged to high school students (cabs can haul anyone over twelve, here). The elderly still pick up the telephone and dial seven digits (you can still do that here, as we have only one area code in D.C., still: 202).

In addition, you do get those here who use Uber Taxi to game the surge. If the surge on UberX hits somewhere between 1,6 and 1,8, depending on the user, said user will pick Uber Taxi. If it stays below 1,6, they pick UberX. Millenials are just as willing to game the surge as anyone else, once they find out how to do it. Many Uber users are ignorant of Uber Taxi, but will use it once they find out that it exists.

They do not use Uber Taxi to game the surge in Boston?

I do not ride cabs that much when I do go home, if at all. Usually it is the MTA for me. In fact, I still have an MTA token in my pocket---have had for years, even if they are useless any more---just an old habit, I guess.

The Red Sox looked good against the Giants!!!!! I hope that they destroy both the Angels and the Dodgers when they go to LA in August.

BostonTaxiDriver

Yes, I've had a few young pax who admitted they called UberTaxi because UberX was 1.7-1.8 or so. Like you said, it depends on each pax and their tolerance.

A young gal from Southie to Logan last year explained that she called my UberTaxi because I was a minute or two closer than an UberX, and she's in a rush.

I've strolled the North End for a snack and seen people simply cancel Uber ("What!,...10 minutes? Oh, we'll cancel.") Then they jump into a waiting cab conveniently sitting on Cross Street.

I drove a gal at 3 a.m. from financial district to the North End who said she never takes X alone St 3 a.m. She feels safer with my taxi partition separating us.

A young male working at Revere hotel flagged me to Mission Hill last month at 2:30 a.m. on a Wednesday claiming X was surging at 1.7 or so (huh? Surging that late with good weather?). So yes, even the young ones do consider cabs at times.