Cabby viglante's actions against private-hire draw ire

easydriving

He hated private-hire drivers and decided to take things into his own hands.

Cabby booked Grab drivers and gave wrong addresses and then when the cars were near he canceled on them.

Full story,
http://mothership.sg/2016/07/one-ta...-grab-by-booking-cancelling-rides-repeatedly/
Do u really believe a cabby will do this?? We understand and know that even a U/G driver has to feed his or her family. U think 1 such booking can affect the industry. I think writer is selling stories just like the TRS guy who got charged in court for faking stories.

renyeo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the drivers who was played out by this cabby posted his ordeal to Grab-Uber drivers' Facebook group. I guess the whole episode sort of fanned out from there when others who were cabby's victims came forward to tell their experience. Belmont I have met him at his office two years ago hoping for a writing gig (it didn't work out) but I can say he's quite a decent chap even though he didn't think I could write any compelling stories for his news site, ha ha!

:wink:

Last edited:

Observingonly

Why was the writer so sure this guy was a taxi driver?

Many years ago when I was driving Comfort and playing call bookings, this was something which would happen once in a while. Sometimes 7 or 8 taxis got the same booking and reported to the same house and there was nothing we nor the taxi company could do about it.

Btw how come fake addresses and unreachable destinations could be accepted by Grab and even a fare was quoted?

MingL

I've actually experienced something similar when I was nearing the airport on Thursday near midnight. I got 3 pings in short succession on Uber and they were all for rides at Expo/Expo Bridge/Expo avenue (at midnight!) to ridiculously far destinations, come to think of it it would have been hell to u-turn and locate them by the roadside. Accepted and cancelled them in short succession so as not to affect my AR rate.

You would hope uber will weed out these accounts, always call for rides but cancel once the car nears you, but they are still growing their customer base so fat chance.

NotAUberSucker

I believe the prankster is not a cabby. No cabby in his right mind especially those working the night shift will want to waste his precious money making time even for several minutes to play this sort of pranks. I personally have heard from other Grab taxi drivers that they have encountered such similar incidents too. There will always be some weirdos out there who find pleasure in a perverse way.

Observingonly

Yes I find it unbelievable that a well known writer could conclude so hastily, maybe by just guessing, that that guy was a cabby.

There are just too many possibilities and probabilities that are behind such cases, which taxi drivers have themselves experienced for so many years ever since bookings were made possible.

NotAUberSucker

Yes I find it unbelievable that a well known writer could conclude so hastily, maybe by just guessing, that that guy was a cabby.

There are just too many possibilities and probabilities that are behind such cases, which taxi drivers have themselves experienced for so many years ever since bookings were made possible.
Let's put it this way, guess who has more to lose? A cabby or UBER. I will not be surprised at all if it was UBER employees doing their best to sabotage Grabcar.

Tanyantao

Last night my friend took 1 grabtaxi at BP. When reach the pickup point the pax cannot be contacted.
Number also look fake. At 4am he wanted to leave but decided to smoke first before he go. After smoke the pax appeared.
"Uncle go cavenage and come back again. I just need to pass something my friend,

renyeo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks like "ghosts" come out to play only at graveyard hours, ha ha!

stevewish

Last time I also got a few cancellation jobs around Ang Mo kio Ave 6 and confirmed same guy base on phone ID.
Refer to app job history, it shows phone ID ADR .... ( andriod phone) ... call GRAB office to suspend him from bookings.

MingL

I think he's being investigated for being a creep to a female PH driver and cyberstalking rather than for interfering with Grab business. SMRT will probably terminate him and then he'll be free to join the new all electric taxi company.

Observingonly

All sort of people are driving taxis.

Some think they know everything.

Some think they are big gangsters.

Of course there are good ones - taxi members in this forum, and me (sometimes only)!