Cab drivers and tips

UberIsAScam

Cab drivers - what do people usually tip you? When I take a cab, I usually do what I'd do in a restaurant - 20% for decent service and then additional, if circumstances warrant it. Never less than $2, regardless of how much the fare is. Is that considered good, cheap, or average? I was having a debate with a friend the other day and am wondering who's in the right. Thanks.

Mars Troll Number 4

Cab drivers - what do people usually tip you? When I take a cab, I usually do what I'd do in a restaurant - 20% for decent service and then additional, if circumstances warrant it. Never less than $2, regardless of how much the fare is. Is that considered good, cheap, or average? I was having a debate with a friend the other day and am wondering who's in the right. Thanks.
(some people never tip, ever)
20% is standard for tourists, most of the time.
Sometimes people who are getting rides paid for as a comp from a hotel or health insurance company tip sometimes not.
If you are playing airport shuttle overflow, expect about $1 a person, (some hotels/shuttle services sub out some of their business to cab companies)
If the ride is really short i have had tips exceeding 300% of the fare (an example is a $4-10 fare and getting a $20)
Really strange stuff tends to generate big tips, as to what constitutes strange i'm afraid that saying "I believe in the twilight zone" is the only explanation i can give.

Finally being someones "Savior" tends to get you a tip. IE picking up a flag down at strange off hours and their phone is completely dead..

The Mollusk

Yup. That's about right. Tips is what makes cab driving more than $8/hr job.