CA Drivers - Is Uber's Backpedalling Enough to Make you Stay?

CA Drivers - Is Uber's Backpedalling Enough to Make you Stay?

• Yes, I was planning on quitting but I'll stay a while longer now

• No, it's too little, too late. As soon as I find something better to do, I'm quitting

• I was planning to keep driving anyway, even with upfront pricing & flat surge

• I've already quit

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Gift of Fish

With AB5 Uber knows that it went too far with its money grabs from drivers and it has seen itself obliged to reverse the de-linking of pax' payments from drivers' pay. They've restored multiplier surge payments to drivers and also restored pax payments per mile, doing away with up front charging. I'm now seeing some big fat 3.0x plus surges during my driving times. Pax money that was diverted into Uber's pockets through up front pricing and flat surge will now be re-channeled back into our pockets.

But, is this enough to affect your future plans, especially if, like me, the huge pay cuts brought by upfront pricing and flat surge were enough to make you start looking for a job and planning to abandon rideshare? Or, is this too little, too late to make you want to hang around and keep driving for Uber?

Jordan V

You’ve got a lot to learn
Post automatically merged:

XL is the money maker
I wasn't poo-pooing XL. I don't do XL and am curious how the changes help, since rates haven't increased.

XL makes more money, but the expenses are also far higher, and the demand far lower. It's possible it's still more profitable than X, but who knows. I haven't seen detailed comparisons.

The Gift of Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What changes benefit XL?
I would imagine the same changes that benefit X. By restoring the old 20%/25% commission while continuing to ream pax with surges, the days of Uber taking 40/50/60% of the high dollar fares are over, for now. Instead we will be getting the lion's share of pax' money.

Some other advice every time I see these clowns with karaoke machines video games and any other nonsense in their vehicles. How do you expect these people to take you serious

I just passed a driver with three bobble heads in the back window

Another driver has a bumper sticker on their car proclaiming they were proud parent of some honors student

Lol

How can you expect people to take you serious

Jordan V

I would imagine the same changes that benefit X. By restoring the old 20%/25% commission while continuing to ream pax with surges, the days of Uber taking 40/50/60% of the high dollar fares are over, for now. Instead we will be getting the lion's share of pax' money.
My friend, through their deceptive e-mail, Uber has succeded in making many drivers believe the new commission is 25%. It is not.

Uber's commission is around 40-50%. Look...

If they haven't taken away your ability to see the rider's fare yet, look through the past few rides.
Add up the Booking Fee and Service Fee (they are both Uber's commission). Divide it by the Customer Payment's to get Uber's percentage commission.
For example:
... $2.20 Service Fee (25%)
... $2.70 Booking Fee
.= $4.90 Uber's Commission

Divide $4.90 Commission by $11.30 Customer payment = 43% Commission!

On that trip, you will have made $6, Uber will have made around $5, and the city will have made around $0.50.

MOST trips in SF are short. So Uber's commission on MOST trips is huge.

The Gift of Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My friend, through their deceptive e-mail, Uber has succeded in making many drivers believe the new commission is 25%. It is not.

If they haven't taken away your ability to see the rider's fare yet, look through the past few rides.
Add up the Booking Fee and Service Fee (they are both Uber's commission). Divide it by the Customer Payment's to get Uber's percentage commission.
For example:
... $2.20 Service Fee (25%)
... $2.70 Booking Fee
.= $4.90 Uber's Commission

On that trip, you will have made $6, Uber will have made around $5, and the city will have made around $0.50.

Of interest here is the revenue redistribution on the medium to high-dollar fares due to the restoration of multiplier surge and driver pay re-linked to pax payment.

However, you are correct that on the shorties Uber's total take is still a high percentage of the payment made by pax. It is also correct that many rides in many parts of SF (FiDi, Soma, Castro etc) are shorties - these are best avoided.

This is where Uber Pro is of great benefit to experienced drivers: whereas we will be going for the high value rides, the ants will be keeping themselves busy looping around and weaving through town wasting their time on Pool and min fare shorties, driving empty half the time to pickups.

seymour

I wasn't poo-pooing XL. I don't do XL and am curious how the changes help, since rates haven't increased.

XL makes more money, but the expenses are also far higher, and the demand far lower. It's possible it's still more profitable than X, but who knows. I haven't seen detailed comparisons.
I've done a detailed comparison and it works out to about a $5/hr increase in income. Could be $6-$7 depending on how one's week goes.....

But that was with sticky surge and higher CTB.....now with random surge and no guarantee you will get it I'd say both X and XL numbers will be lower.....just a hunch though :wink:

With AB5 Uber knows that it went too far with its money grabs from drivers and it has seen itself obliged to reverse the de-linking of pax' payments from drivers' pay. They've restored multiplier surge payments to drivers and also restored pax payments per mile, doing away with up front charging. I'm now seeing some big fat 3.0x plus surges during my driving times. Pax money that was diverted into Uber's pockets through up front pricing and flat surge will now be re-channeled back into our pockets.

But, is this enough to affect your future plans, especially if, like me, the huge pay cuts brought by upfront pricing and flat surge were enough to make you start looking for a job and planning to abandon rideshare? Or, is this too little, too late to make you want to hang around and keep driving for Uber?
we are not getting more money....actually less now that CTB is being replaced with 5%.....not sure what this "re-channeling back into our pockets" refers to.....we'll get more unicorn rides now with the Surge multiplier but that's it....rush hr pools are practically worthless now....

For example:
... $2.20 Service Fee
... $2.70 Booking Fee
.= $4.90 Commission

Booking fee and service fee have always been there. What don’t u get ?

nurburgringsf

Lol you guys are so out of touch. The algorithm guarantees how much you will average every week regardless of seniority.

Meaning: did you catch that juicy 2.8x surge? You made it back to sf proper but now theres no surge. And now you must wait for the newbies to get their priority pings while you wait. Your 50$ per hour average because of that juicy ride will slowly go back to 38$ per hr or maybe even 33$/hr. Smh... learn some basic coding guys... outside of html and css. Please.

Rideshare companies only reward split shifters (the times where rideshare needs ants the most where demand is in excess over supply). Thats why split shifters always average 40 - 48$ per hour.

But as ive said before a couple months ago on this forum. Little money is made during evening rush from 4 - 7pm because of traffic. No amount of surge changes that fact. Nothing you can do about it.

Morning rush on the other hand, is short lived, much more about skill, and some luck.

Last edited:
I've done a detailed comparison and it works out to about a $5/hr increase in income. Could be $6-$7 depending on how one's week goes.....

But that was with sticky surge and higher CTB.....now with random surge and no guarantee you will get it I'd say both X and XL numbers will be lower.....just a hunch though :wink:

we are not getting more money....actually less now that CTB is being replaced with 5%.....not sure what this "re-channeling back into our pockets" refers to.....we'll get more unicorn rides now with the Surge multiplier but that's it....rush hr pools are practically worthless now....
So let me get this straight. $5-$7 extra per hr. 60 hrs a week. $300-$420 a week extra. Hmmm seems worth it. Gas isn’t that much.

Wrong. U will be busy Both apps

Last edited:

seymour

So let me get this straight. $5-$7 extra per hr. 60 hrs a week. $300-$420 a week extra. Hmmm seems worth it.
I only was saying there's not a huge difference. Yep, still $5-$7 extra per hr.....If you are willing to put those hrs in week after week it may be worth it, to some. Nothing wrong with that.

I only was saying there's not a huge difference. Yep, still $5-$7 extra per hr.....If you are willing to put those hrs in week after week it may be worth it, to some. Nothing wrong with that.
Most here are working that many hours $1200-$1600 a month.
not a big difference?

Last edited: