Bye bye UBer, I quit today.

BigBadDeliveryMonster

Not many choices in NJ, and who knows if UE will stick with me or even cover basic stuff. Very worried about the insurance issue.

Is it doable to stay with my current insurance while I decide?

If you are online with UE and waiting for an order, your vehicle isn't covered by anybody if you don't have rideshare or commercial coverage. Before I got the coverage, I would just sit in my parked car whenever I was in that status, and if I wanted to drive at all, I would go offline. Now I don't have to worry about that.
Apparently Farmers and State Farm offer rideshare coverage in NJ. Not sure about their rates.

Ms. Mercenary

If you are online with UE and waiting for an order, your vehicle isn't covered by anybody if you don't have rideshare or commercial coverage. Before I got the coverage, I would just sit in my parked car whenever I was in that status, and if I wanted to drive at all, I would go offline. Now I don't have to worry about that.
Apparently Farmers and State Farm offer rideshare coverage in NJ. Not sure about their rates.
Allstate, Farmers and State Farm (USAA also, but I don’t qualify). I’ll move along to the “Insurace” thread so as not to flood this one asking for NJ drivers’ opinions. Sorry to have intruded, my typing is faster than my mind tee hee. 😂

Helpmehome

Not many choices in NJ, and who knows if UE will stick with me or even cover basic stuff. Very worried about the insurance issue.

Is it doable to stay with my current insurance while I decide?

I sold insurance and was a manager at a large insurance company for a total of 11 years. The best advice I can give you is to shop shop shop. Companies come up with very different ratings for different situations and the price can vary dramatically. The company that was consistently tough to beat price wise was Geico. I would definitely call them. NJ is one of the more expensive states with PIP/no fault laws. If your health insurance covers auto accidents be sure to coordinate the PIP benefits on your auto policy. This will save a few hundred $ a year. But don't do this without calling your health insurance company first.

Ms. Mercenary

I sold insurance and was a manager at a large insurance company for a total of 11 years. The best advice I can give you is to shop shop shop. Companies come up with very different ratings for different situations and the price can vary dramatically. The company that was consistently tough to beat price wise was Geico. I would definitely call them. NJ is one of the more expensive states with PIP/no fault laws. If your health insurance covers auto accidents be sure to coordinate the PIP benefits on your auto policy. This will save a few hundred $ a year. But don't do this without calling your health insurance company first.
I have Geico now, love them. But they don’t offer this kind of coverage in NJ. Alas.

TeleSki

If you get a commercial policy, yeah that's gonna cost you. What you want is a personal policy with rideshare coverage. Some companies will add commercial use to your personal policy for a small amount. What you don't want is a full commercial policy. Of course unless that's all you can get in your state. I am lucky in CA, Esurance offers rideshare coverage for personal policies and for me it was like $21/mo extra or something like that.

I pay about $12 a month for rideshare on my USAA policy in California.

RideShare_Hustler

I’m not complaining, I average $40 an hour even after the benefits ended and all the drivers flooded the road.

I get paid for exactly the amount I put in. I pay for my own insurance and have plenty of disposable income left over to invest in passive income, so that in a few years I can quit or do black car, when the market balances itself out.